GE 2024

One party to rule us all?

Conservatives (they’ve been excellent so far)
8%
Labour (things can only get better)
38%
Lib Dem’s (give ‘em a chance)
4%
C & LD (worked really well last time)
No votes
L & LD (isn’t this the original band back together)
17%
C & L (shits and giggles)
No votes
Argument.. sorry, I mean politics
33%

Total votes: 24

dinny_g

Re: GE 2024

Post by dinny_g »

Possibly - loving "Brenter" by the way. :lol:

I think a lot of people Don't think that ship as sailed at all...

(It was the FT article which mentioned "Laying the Groundwork to re-joining the EU" as a conservative concern... )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

I'm loving 'remainder' - he's what's left after some nasty long division.

Seems apt.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:15 pm Being a remainder doesn't mean he'd be daft enough to push for a Brenter vote. That ship has sailed, we can't go back in the short term.
Yeah, exactly. He clearly knows it's too devise a subject and will lose votes if he made a stand and said that under Labour we'd seek to re-enter the EU however long it takes.

Much safer to say that under a Labour gov, we'll carry on being out of the EU and negotiate a better trade deal than what the Conservatives have... which may keep some brexit wankers happy :lol:
Oui, je suis un motard.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Brenter (tm) is one for 2028+ imo. It's taken 7 years to get this far out, imagine how long they'd take to undo the mess they've made of it so far. Unfortunately we are stuck with making the best out of the conservative shit show.

Talking of which, even amongst this latest sneering - JRM went so far as condemning labour for potential gerrymandering by using an example of an intentional conservative gerrymandering attempt not working. But still we know full well there'll be no consequences - rules don't apply to them any more. They really are a bunch of cunts.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

scotta wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:57 am I dont trust any of them. I thought that the SNP were the best of a bad bunch - but see how that's turned out in recent weeks.

Those in government should be the best leaders surrounded by the best people with the interest of the country put first. This simply is not the case. In all honesty i think we could form a government from the members of this forum (Not Broccers) and do a better job :lol:
Yeah as I'm not a raving leftie remainer 😀
scotta

Post by scotta »

Broccers wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:53 pm
scotta wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:57 am I dont trust any of them. I thought that the SNP were the best of a bad bunch - but see how that's turned out in recent weeks.

Those in government should be the best leaders surrounded by the best people with the interest of the country put first. This simply is not the case. In all honesty i think we could form a government from the members of this forum (Not Broccers) and do a better job :lol:
I was more getting to the fact that you are not a well balanced human being to start with...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

scotta wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:55 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:53 pm

I was more getting to the fact that you are not a well balanced human being to start with...
If you say so Scott.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:41 pm Talking of which, even amongst this latest sneering - JRM went so far as condemning labour for potential gerrymandering by using an example of an intentional conservative gerrymandering attempt not working. But still we know full well there'll be no consequences - rules don't apply to them any more. They really are a bunch of cunts.
That whole National Conservatives conference thing a vaguely terrifying on a number of levels.

Firstly, that it exists in the first place. A significant slice of the already frothing at the mouth tory party feel it is necessary to set up an even more hardcore right wing splinter group.

Secondly, the reaction to stuff like JRM or Suella Braverman's comments really demonstrate the degree to which the nation is suffering collective Stockholm syndrome. They could be literally eating babies, and all they have to do is dogwhistle some racist gammon shite and everyone's back on the better-the-devil-you-know bandwagon.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The National Conservatism thing is a separate organisation to the Tory party, not a splinter group from it or anything like that. These are the people behind it: https://burke.foundation/people/

Seems only a short time since the Shrewsbury MP was reprimanded for talking at a previous Natcon conference in 2020: https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-dani ... s-11927858

Doesn't make it any less powerful or harmful though - Farage was never in power but managed to get what he wanted. I wonder if any mileage will come from him saying Brexit is a disaster and we may as well go back in - principled, much?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

There's something particularly unsettling about the UK Chariman...

:o
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:39 am The National Conservatism thing is a separate organisation to the Tory party, not a splinter group from it or anything like that. These are the people behind it: https://burke.foundation/people/

Seems only a short time since the Shrewsbury MP was reprimanded for talking at a previous Natcon conference in 2020: https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-dani ... s-11927858

Doesn't make it any less powerful or harmful though - Farage was never in power but managed to get what he wanted. I wonder if any mileage will come from him saying Brexit is a disaster and we may as well go back in - principled, much?
Thanks for clarifying. When I saw SB, JRM and MG as keynote speakers, I assumed they were *part* of the Natcon thing, rather than just using it as a platform to voice the opinions considered *too* extreme for the common or garden Tory party. Although, I note that the reaction to the reaction was for the regular Tories to back them to the hilt and claim that the speeches had been vetted and approved, and 100% reflected current Conservative party policy (even, apparently, the weird bits about seances with Maggie Thatcher).

I would say, that, that to some extent it can be considered a bit of a splinter group, because it represents the *threat* of a splinter group or full coup (especially given Braverman's comments that were widely taken as a pitch for the PM job) - it puts significant pressure on the main Tories to make increasing concessions to appease the full goose-stepping elements of the party.

And yes, Dinny, he kinda puts me in mind of the Christopher Walken character from View to a Kill.
Beany

Post by Beany »

He looks like his parents were related before they were married.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Looks like he could be one of Trumps kids
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nefarious wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:40 pmChristopher Walken character from View to a Kill.
Max Zorin, what a great baddie. Underrated Bond film.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

These by-election results are a good indication that the Tories will suffer a pretty dramatic loss next year. Anyone think Rishi will call an earlier election? Or will they run time out ruining stuff and putting in place rules and contracts which completely fuck over the next government in order to get back in come 2029?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Interesting piece on the News Agents recently about how 'real' Labour hasn't been in power for over forty years. Keir needs to further embrace New Labour values if he truly wants to trounce the tories next year.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:55 am These by-election results are a good indication that the Tories will suffer a pretty dramatic loss next year. Anyone think Rishi will call an earlier election? Or will they run time out ruining stuff and putting in place rules and contracts which completely fuck over the next government in order to get back in come 2029?
I'm pretty sure the latter is more likely. It's never about the good of the country with conservatives, it's all about what's good for them.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

I'm mildly shocked that the media are playing the by-election results as "a game of two halves". By anyone's measure, the Tories got a right royal shoeing, and it was via only single-issue campaigning against what is effectively their own clean air policy that saved them total and utter humiliation in Uxbridge.