GE 2024

One party to rule us all?

Conservatives (they’ve been excellent so far)
8%
Labour (things can only get better)
38%
Lib Dem’s (give ‘em a chance)
4%
C & LD (worked really well last time)
No votes
L & LD (isn’t this the original band back together)
17%
C & L (shits and giggles)
No votes
Argument.. sorry, I mean politics
33%

Total votes: 24

duncs500

Re: GE 2024

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:48 pm I think it's clearer than that. Kier has nothing but rehashed conservative and New Labour policies to talk about. None of them are particularly popular with voters on the left so he's relying almost entirely on people not wanting to vote for the tories for their win.

I don't think people are going to put him in number 10 just to get rid of the current lot though.
... but he's still going to get (for the most part) the left votes anyway right? I guess that's part of the reason he's not talking about left leaning policies. The Tories made progress in Labour areas because of Brexit, so surely they're automatically reversed now. Add in any other marginal constituencies, and it's surely a done deal?

Someone must have run the numbers.

On a side note, I passed a neighbour going into the polling station the other day and congratulated him carrying out his civic duty, his response was "Let's get rid of these cunts eh?". It was a LD councillor anyway, but I got the feeling he was talking about the Tories (even though it wasn't a GE), but anyway an example of the feeling out there.:lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think it's dangerous of them to assume a left wing vote while talking about stuff like tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime and agreeing with shipping refugees to Rwanda. As well as all his bloviating every time he get's sucked into that stupid "what is a woman" chat on LBC.

A lot of people I know really don't like him and while I accept that we're probably pretty far from the centre vote he's going for I'd imagine there are more moderate people who feel the same.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Fair enough, but unless you live in a constituency where the Greens are popular, do you risk a vote for anyone other than Labour despite disliking them?

I dunno, I guess I don't vote tactically, but I think a fair few do.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I think the Lib Dems will pick up a lot of votes as well. But I wouldn't write the Tories off completely - a year of not doing anything controversial (hahahaha yeah right) and I think a lot will look at Lab and really wonder if they can bring themselves to vote for them.

Hence why it wouldn't surprise me if there was no majority
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:21 pm Fair enough, but unless you live in a constituency where the Greens are popular, do you risk a vote for anyone other than Labour despite disliking them?

My constituency has been solid SNP since 2015 and wouldn't be surprised if it stayed that way, the MP is popular and he seems to have avoided being caught up in the current drama.

I just vote for who I like.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:28 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:21 pm Fair enough, but unless you live in a constituency where the Greens are popular, do you risk a vote for anyone other than Labour despite disliking them?

My constituency has been solid SNP since 2015 and wouldn't be surprised if it stayed that way, the MP is popular and he seems to have avoided being caught up in the current drama.

I figured it was a safe bet you'd be SNP, I was more speaking generally in GE terms.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Whatever way your personal political leanings are, as a country we need to have a change from Conservative Government to freshen up the political landscape.

Labour, either on their own or as part of a Coalition need to take the reins because one of two things will happen. Either they won't do any better (because the realities of governing this country in 2023 are harder than it looks, looking in from the outside) or they succeed

Both are wins for the country - the former will address the current commentary that "Everything the Tories do is shit" and lead to a more balanced view on politics and the latter, well that's obvious.

Signed

Naive from Newport Pagnell :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:15 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:28 am

I figured it was a safe bet you'd be SNP, I was more speaking generally in GE terms.
It’s weird being on the left at the moment, it’s kind of eating itself again between about 4 big arguments. The main one being whether people should hold their nose and vote for Kier’s Labour based on them having the best chance of winning or not because we don’t really see a big change between what he’s saying and what the government is saying.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:04 am Whatever way your personal political leanings are, as a country we need to have a change from Conservative Government to freshen up the political landscape.

Labour, either on their own or as part of a Coalition need to take the reins because one of two things will happen. Either they won't do any better (because the realities of governing this country in 2023 are harder than it looks, looking in from the outside) or they succeed

Both are wins for the country - the former will address the current commentary that "Everything the Tories do is shit" and lead to a more balanced view on politics and the latter, well that's obvious.

Signed

Naive from Newport Pagnell :lol:
I don’t really need to post anything, both Dinny’s Posts are exactly how I feel.

I’m from Ascot though.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I could live in Ascot if it wasn't for the bloody Tories!!! :x
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

This is interesting...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65590121

- Change the voting rules, fast track EU settled status, introduce voting for 16 to 18 year olds...

- Re-run Brexit Vote (Not sure how this would stack up - now we're out, don't we have to re-apply etc > not sure, perhaps the EU might just let us in)

- Blame all future European Issues on the conservative's for allowing us to leave in the first place

- Win election after election by overpromising as usual and selling the family silver (or gold, if we had any left)

- finally get caught out...

etc etc

;) :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

But Labour said no final policy decisions had been made.
"We've leaked this to the press to see whether it'll fly because we have no faith in our own poilicie"
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:07 am
But Labour said no final policy decisions had been made.
"We've leaked this to the press to see whether it'll fly because the hardline paid up members what this but we honestly don’t think the rest of the public do, so we’ll find out this way"
Fixed for you
Beany

Post by Beany »

I was thinking more broadly whether it'd push floating voters away just to appease the membership, but yes, same energy.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I don't think it would push away enough floating voters...

Floating Brexit supporting voters perhaps but on the counter, it might attract floating remainers ? I think it would be a net gain overall for Labour, not cost them any heartland Union support and benefit them in the long run. It's the smart Play IMO - like PR is for the Lib Dems
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:55 am - Re-run Brexit Vote (Not sure how this would stack up - now we're out, don't we have to re-apply etc > not sure, perhaps the EU might just let us in)
where are they saying they'd rerun Brexit?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I read a few articles on it Rich, it was on one of them…

All speculation mind
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:37 pm I read a few articles on it Rich, it was on one of them…

All speculation mind
yet you presented it as being part of that BBC news article...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

To be fair, only the first was a reference, the other 4 were my thoughts on the motivation.

We all know Starmer is a Remainer
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Being a remainder doesn't mean he'd be daft enough to push for a Brenter vote. That ship has sailed, we can't go back in the short term.