What haven't you done

mik

Re: What haven't you done

Post by mik »

Simon wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:41 am
Nice one! Looks great. I love that bit of string that's always stuck to glider canopies.
Helicopter I flew (R22) used the same. I also love that despite all the instruments - this is so effective. :D
tim

Post by tim »

It boggles my mind that you can go 100's of kms in these things from a single launch. It's pretty cheap to learn, and 10 mins drive from home. I took a video of someone else getting a winch launch (big V8 engine on the end of the rope) and it looks pretty exciting!
tim

Post by tim »

ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Simon wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:41 am
tim wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 am Until Sunday I hadn't flown a Glider. Now I have and it was fun and I'm going to do it again. :)

Nice one! Looks great. I love that bit of string that's always stuck to glider canopies.

My brother got his gliding wings in the RAF cadets at school. I would never have the bottle to do it properly because the lack of engine noise or 'pull' would freak me out.

When I went up for a trial (prop) flying lesson 10 years ago in Shoreham the instructor showed me the effect of getting the mixture wrong at altitude. As the engine spluttered and slowed I found myself instinctively reaching forward for the mixture lever to correct it before it died. I didn't fancy a 'glide' back to base in our little Piper PA28!
PPL remains one of the things I did years ago that I wished I'd kept going, getting aloft and trimming the Cessna (152 IIRC) and then just sitting back and almost watching if fly itself was deeply pleasing.
tim

Post by tim »

Same. I got 10.5 hours and a solo into a PPL then stopped because it was so fudging expensive. That was 19 years ago, shudder to think what it costs now.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had planned to start my PPL this summer but shit happened. Oh well there’s always 2019...
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My brothers do paragliding (let me know if you’re going to Tenerife and fancy being hurled off a mountain strapped to a bloke) and they can stay aloft for hours at a time in the right conditions and climb thousands of feet on nothing more than warm air. Mind boggling.

I always wanted a pilots licence when I was younger but my colour blindness and short sightedness meant I could never be a commercial or military pilot, the picky bastards. Flying a Cessna was a bit dull, if I’m honest. If I could fly a Hawk T2 I’d reconsider 😁
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

tim wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:43 pm Same. I got 10.5 hours and a solo into a PPL then stopped because it was so fudging expensive. That was 19 years ago, shudder to think what it costs now.
When I did it, it was around 90 quid an hour. I checked recently and think it was something like £110 an hour so not too bad for nearly 20 years cost increase.

Edit - It's the min 50 hours you need to qualify that kills it of course :)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

50 x 110 = £5500

I’m not gonna say it. I’m not gonna say it. I’m not gonna say it.
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

45 hours I thought, of which 5 can be with an approved flight simulator...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I had an acrobatic flight a couple of years back where I got to perform some loops, wing overs, barrel rolls and general pissing about in the sky. I was amazed at how easy flying was. Navigation and radios looked like a pain in the arse but flying was great.

I've just put a glider flight on my 50 before 50 list.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 am Wow! at the last one. Funniest show evar!
People keep saying that so I really tried, I must've watched about a series and a half of it. It wasn't dreadful but I had no urge to keep watching.
i thought the first series was excellent - then Danny DeVito turned up and hijacked it - and in my opinion - it stopped being funny.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rich B wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 am Wow! at the last one. Funniest show evar!
People keep saying that so I really tried, I must've watched about a series and a half of it. It wasn't dreadful but I had no urge to keep watching.
i thought the first series was excellent - then Danny DeVito turned up and hijacked it - and in my opinion - it stopped being funny.
You need to get past that. Admittedly his presence in the show is awkward at first, but he settles into the show pretty well.