What haven't you done

JLv3.0

Re: What haven't you done

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oh I didn't know the Frenchies gave a crap tbh, interesting. A Gallic shrug of the shoulders and a puff on the lip-hanging Gauloise as they bolt on another set of remoulds is how I've decided to remember it :D
John

Post by John »

Concorde is a good one.

My parents had never flown on an airliner until this week so I booked them on a return flight from Newquay to Gatwick for the experience. I couldn't quite stretch to a more glamorous destination :D
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Way to put them off flying completely John :lol:
Marv

Post by Marv »

240PP wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 am Uncle went in Concorde a couple of times. I'm guessing he's not that interested in aviation as he said it was uncomfortable and shit. And he was sat next to Phil Collins.
The cabin area is relatively small, and they were apparently were very noisy when in-flight.

Amazing feat of engineering though 8-)
Oui, je suis un motard.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Good to know people were whining pussies back then as well :lol:

"oh boo hoo hoo the supersonic aircraft I'm on is a bit cramped and is making my ears hurty............oh look we're there"

:lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

On the more affordable end I’m a bit upset I never got to ride on the hovercraft that crossed the channel - seriously a fricking hovercraft you could drive onto, then blast across the channel in 30 minutes. I remember there always being a crowd round the boarding ramp as the hovercraft exited the sea and mounted the concrete.
Obviously the engineering isn’t even close to Concorde but tell a kid about it now and I reckon they would put it in the same cool category.

Never been on a helicopter or very light aircraft or hot air balloon.

Heard the V8 and modern V6 F1 cars but missed out on the V10 era.

Never driven a go-kart.

Haven’t experienced life without internet connectivity.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The channel hovercrafts weren’t a great experience from a passenger point of view - noisy and you couldn’t see much for spray.
John

Post by John »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:49 am Way to put them off flying completely John :lol:
It was either that or Doncaster :o
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've been on one of the static Concordes, so long ago though I can't remember which one or where. It might have been the prototype one with the red markings. I think - probably like most people - that I never thought or considered they'd ever stop flying, that they'd always be there to go on at a later date, so there wasn't the need, the urgency, to do it now. :(

I've been on the cross Channel hovercrafts a couple of times. One crossing was so rough we wondered if they really should have been running it. When you're up for some urban exploration Mito, I think the approach road, car park, and some other bits are still accessible in Ramsgate. Top Gear departed from the old Dover hoverport when they did the cars amphibious cars across the Channel bit.
I'm now reminded that I haven't been to the hovercraft museum.

Hovercrafts still run to the Isle of Wight. Only for foot passengers, but at least it's a chance to see and ride on one.
https://www.hovertravel.co.uk/
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:59 amI think - probably like most people - that I never thought or considered they'd ever stop flying, that they'd always be there to go on at a later date, so there wasn't the need, the urgency, to do it now. :(
Massively this.
Simon

Post by Simon »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:59 am I've been on one of the static Concordes, so long ago though I can't remember which one or where. It might have been the prototype one with the red markings. I think - probably like most people - that I never thought or considered they'd ever stop flying, that they'd always be there to go on at a later date, so there wasn't the need, the urgency, to do it now. :(

I've been on the cross Channel hovercrafts a couple of times. One crossing was so rough we wondered if they really should have been running it. When you're up for some urban exploration Mito, I think the approach road, car park, and some other bits are still accessible in Ramsgate. Top Gear departed from the old Dover hoverport when they did the cars amphibious cars across the Channel bit.
I'm now reminded that I haven't been to the hovercraft museum.

Hovercrafts still run to the Isle of Wight. Only for foot passengers, but at least it's a chance to see and ride on one.
https://www.hovertravel.co.uk/
I went across on the Isle of Wight hovercraft last year. Loved it. A very smooth crossing luckily and of course it only takes a few minutes.
Definitely would do it again if we go across this summer.
IMG_20170804_083950.jpg
IMG_20170804_083950.jpg (113.24 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Marv

Post by Marv »

Talking of flying, I've never 'done' business class or first class. Doesn't bother me that much though. I willingly spend the extra for a Concorde flight, but not business class or first class.

Don't think I've ever stayed in a five star hotel either.
Oui, je suis un motard.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah but aren't you about 3'8" Marv? Trust me - it makes a big difference when you're adult-sized :lol:

I like flying business class to such an extent that it makes flying merely crap for me, rather than absolutely fucking hateful.
mik

Post by mik »

Short haul business class never seems worth it.

Long haul business class is epic.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

All flying and indeed travel is awful.

Destinations, however - I can get on board (no pun intended) with that.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Flew business for the first time this year to NYC. The seat is great but I was surprised the stewardess was rubbish, I assumed they would use the best ones for first/business. It was BA though, so not one of the better ones.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Rich B wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 am The channel hovercrafts weren’t a great experience from a passenger point of view - noisy and you couldn’t see much for spray.
I recall a particularly bumpy channel crossing taking 3 1/2 hours in the hovercraft and most people being sick.

Hovercraft museum in Littlehampton is a bit tired but worth a visit.

Some relatives were crew on Concorde for ages. I watched the last few fly in and out of LHR from the roof of BA HQ. And my Dad got some rough video of one or two of them landing from quite near the runway.
Left over crest; tightens.
tim

Post by tim »

Until Sunday I hadn't flown a Glider. Now I have and it was fun and I'm going to do it again. :)

mik

Post by mik »

Nice Tim 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

tim wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 11:08 am Until Sunday I hadn't flown a Glider. Now I have and it was fun and I'm going to do it again. :)

Nice one! Looks great. I love that bit of string that's always stuck to glider canopies.

My brother got his gliding wings in the RAF cadets at school. I would never have the bottle to do it properly because the lack of engine noise or 'pull' would freak me out.

When I went up for a trial (prop) flying lesson 10 years ago in Shoreham the instructor showed me the effect of getting the mixture wrong at altitude. As the engine spluttered and slowed I found myself instinctively reaching forward for the mixture lever to correct it before it died. I didn't fancy a 'glide' back to base in our little Piper PA28!
The artist formerly known as _Who_