Bye Bye Boris!

Beany

Re: Bye Bye Boris!

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:42 pm I think “I’m not telling you because it won’t stand up to analysis” is my new favourite.
Hey, if it's good enough for my bank manager, it's good enough for Brexit!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:42 pm I think “I’m not telling you because it won’t stand up to analysis” is my new favourite.
I don't know mate. The 'I've already told you before and won't spend 30 seconds to tell you again despite feeling incredibly strongly about a cause I support fully but won't say why twice' takes some beating.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:37 pm Hopefully Boris’ £2.1Bn preparation will include spelling out the benefits in great detail to us non-believers. 😂
Well, he's assured us that we won't starve and people with medications that need to be imported probably won't die.

Don't know about you but I'm convinced.

TBH this switch to horror show assurances has been quite refreshing compared to the bullshit they peddled through the campaign :lol:.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

“We made it through the war, we can make it through this” - People who were born post-war deliberately choosing to make things worse whilst being incapable of explaining the benefits.

“They lock you up if you say you’re English, don’t they, Stu?” - *checks Venn diagram*
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Broccers wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 pm Back on to bullying patriotism broccers.

Do you get your brexit script in the mail.
Not at all. I am for everyone doing well I wouldnt have voted leave if I thought the country wasn't up to it.

Plenty of opportunities once the dust settles.
What opportunities do you foresee and how long until the dust settles? Genuinely curious about how you see things going.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Head <---> brick wall.

I imagine that a lot of people don't know why they voted Brexit beyond some vague notion of what they consider to be patriotism, as misguided as that is when they're rolling the dice on the country's future, but are just too embarrassed to admit it. It's the only reason I can think of for why they refuse to discuss it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Can't we just do a Logans Run on everyone over 50 and then vote again?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:27 pm Can't we just do a Logans Run on everyone over 50 and then vote again?
Logan’s run was 30 mate... 😬
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:23 pm Head <---> brick wall.

I imagine that a lot of people don't know why they voted Brexit beyond some vague notion of what they consider to be patriotism, as misguided as that is when they're rolling the dice on the country's future, but are just too embarrassed to admit it. It's the only reason I can think of for why they refuse to discuss it.
Could well be, but I'm happy to give him the benefit of doubt and assume that he wants to engage in a debate. I've made my position clear before: it is a monumental mistake that will hurt current and future generations for decades to come.

Any deals that will be struck will be lesser than what we have, give away more than we want, and cement Britain's role as a bit player on the world stage.

But, regardless of the outcome, if we're ever going to move forward we need to be able to debate each other's positions and for that to happen, each side has to state their views, beliefs and opinions.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:18 pm “We made it through the war, we can make it through this” - People who were born post-war deliberately choosing to make things worse whilst being incapable of explaining the benefits.

“They lock you up if you say you’re English, don’t they, Stu?” - *checks Venn diagram*
I have this saved on my phone :lol:.
CA9B1765-AAA1-4656-8595-1C2A6ADE9EF3.jpeg
CA9B1765-AAA1-4656-8595-1C2A6ADE9EF3.jpeg (166.92 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

:lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

What I find permanently confusing is how anyone intends to win an election by appealing to Brexiteers. The referendum was swung by three million or so people who were targeted to vote for Brexit. These guys don’t normally vote. I doubt they will in the next general election...
GG.

Post by GG. »

Its a bit more complicated than that though isn't it. There is a significant and entrenched percentage of the Conservative vote that won't vote Labour as they don't want a hard left government so the Conservatives pushing through Brexit is at best going to make some of the Conservative Remain contingent stay at home but I'm pretty convinced won't end up in very many them switching their vote to another party (If you voted Labour to not get Brexit then, well, 2017 has disproved that theory at least whilst they're headed by JC. Switching to the Lib Dems from Conservative again likely just increases the chances of a Labour victory.)

The largest set of swing voters at the moment is very possibly those Conservative Brexit voters who, in the absence of Brexit happening, would vote Brexit Party instead of Conservative (roughly the same percentage as the entire lib dem vote from recent polling -ETA: slightly less than that now with the Boris bounce), so arguably targeting those voters is indeed necessary. That's quite ironic if you're David Cameron as its essentially fanned the flames of the issue he was trying to kill off and ironic if you're a switcher to the BP as you'd more likely get Corbyn or a rainbow coalition than you would a BP-Conservative coalition, which is exactly what they wouldn't want.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Is there a point in all of those words?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think he's saying that conservatives won't vote labour but might vote brexit party if the conservatives aren't brexity enough.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:09 pm I think he's saying that conservatives won't vote labour but might vote brexit party if the conservatives aren't brexity enough.
😂
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 pm Its a bit more complicated than that though isn't it. There is a significant and entrenched percentage of the Conservative vote that won't vote Labour as they don't want a hard left government so the Conservatives pushing through Brexit is at best going to make some of the Conservative Remain contingent stay at home but I'm pretty convinced won't end up in very many them switching their vote to another party (If you voted Labour to not get Brexit then, well, 2017 has disproved that theory at least whilst they're headed by JC. Switching to the Lib Dems from Conservative again likely just increases the chances of a Labour victory.)

The largest set of swing voters at the moment is very possibly those Conservative Brexit voters who, in the absence of Brexit happening, would vote Brexit Party instead of Conservative (roughly the same percentage as the entire lib dem vote from recent polling -ETA: slightly less than that now with the Boris bounce), so arguably targeting those voters is indeed necessary. That's quite ironic if you're David Cameron as its essentially fanned the flames of the issue he was trying to kill off and ironic if you're a switcher to the BP as you'd more likely get Corbyn or a rainbow coalition than you would a BP-Conservative coalition, which is exactly what they wouldn't want.
These are good points. I think a big swing of New Labour voters to Lib Dem is now likely and I suspect a three way split with a small Tory majority is the way we will go if there is an election soon.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Possible - until recently I would have always have viewed a Corbyn government as more likely, but current polling suggests even the staunchest supporters of Magic Grandpa seem to be becoming disillusioned with him on account of the flip flopping over Brexit.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:23 pm Head <---> brick wall.

Utter shite.

I'm not going to argue on here with you 5 people who care.

Let's see what happens.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

we're all disabled hobbits anyway, right broccers?
An absolute unit