The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Re: The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Post by PaulJ »

With my sensible head on I can see us in an M240i at some point, but dragging me in the other direction are thoughts of a Cayman GT4 (been invited to send a letter of interest) or a supercharged Elise (still think fondly of the S1 I sold 18 years ago). I get my state pension in November so that sobering thought ought to have some bearing on the decision.

The car that's most likely to change in the next year is 'er indoors Abarth 595 Tourismo. I've been mounting a subtle campaign for it to be replaced by an Up GTI. Fingers crossed. ;)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:39 pm My dad wanted to buy a Caterham but then my mum said she didn’t feel safe in it. She really enjoys driving the Kawasaki Mule around the farm though as it sits taller and has a cage so then they were this close >.< to buying a Nomad. Then the bastard BMW dealer called and asked if he’d like to put down a deposit on a M2 CSL so the Nomad was cancelled. This was 2 years ago and nothing has come of the BMW and I still think the Nomad must be the most fun toy car there is, especially on our crap roads.
Ooh, Nomad, well reminded.

One of those.
Left over crest; tightens.
ste

Post by ste »

I have a towbar carrier for 4 bikes, so that's kinda taken care of. Some of the sites we go to are up long tracks, the X5 can struggle but just about manages, a 2wd van would really struggle. I know 4wd ones are available but they tend to be too tall. In fact, some places we go you can't get a normal T4/5/6 under the access barriers.

Agree a 130 is a more practical vehicle. This is more about heart than head though, I think 110 crewcabs look cool, 130s just don't look good. Initial plan was to get a 90 pickup with the centre seat so I could take the 2 boys, but my daughter now joins us so need the crewcab. The bed would be more for other jobs - collecting chicken feed / straw etc and the small one would be fine.

I'd also need to measure the height of a Defender. I know the places we go they can generally get under the barriers but it's close and would depend on tyres and suspension that's fitted.
ste

Post by ste »

Typing that prompted me to look up the height of both a Defender and a T6. Google reckons the Defender is taller. I know a friend we MTB with has to leave his T5 outside of a few of the carparks as he can't get under the barrier but also know another guy gets his defender in. Fuck knows?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Ste, if you're thinking of moving your X5 on around July-ish then I'd be pretty interested. Bear me in mind.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm Agree a 130 is a more practical vehicle. This is more about heart than head though, I think 110 crewcabs look cool, 130s just don't look good. Initial plan was to get a 90 pickup with the centre seat so I could take the 2 boys, but my daughter now joins us so need the crewcab. The bed would be more for other jobs - collecting chicken feed / straw etc and the small one would be fine.
That's fair enough. One of the Land Rover things I've not done yet is a 90 pick up on bigger wheels. Pretty much completely useless but they look really cool :).

I'd still really like to get an Ambulance and convert it to a camper but I don't have the time/space/ability to do that yet.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 pm
ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:45 pmTrue but RS6s redefine 'cars cost money'.
A standard one perhaps. If you modify it to 750bhp it'll cost less, right ?
To be fair, all it takes is an exhaust and remap. The engine and box have been designed with far more than a standard RS6 output in mine.

I’ll quiz my mate on the running costs after a year - he’s commuting about 50 miles a day in it and using it for family duties.
ste

Post by ste »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:58 pm Ste, if you're thinking of moving your X5 on around July-ish then I'd be pretty interested. Bear me in mind.
Will do. MOT is due in about 3 weeks. It's due a service so going to get that done before the MOT and get him to do any snagging it needs; I think it needs an OSF CV or wheelbearing as there's a noise from there and the exhaust also has a blow on the right-hand bank where the downpipe joins the rest of the system. After those bits and an MOT I'll make a decision either to move it on soon after that while it has a long MOT or to run it for another year.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

If we're talking idle dreaming, i.e. no chance of it happening anytime soon, then my current want is the new Corvette ZR1.
750hp, manual transmission, 212mph and although it doesn't look as good as a Z06, it looks pretty epic, especially with high downforce wing!
ste

Post by ste »

If we're doing that, I keep looking at F355s, specifially GTB manuals. They look suspiciously cheap to me compared to their contemporaries that have risen in value considerably quicker over recent years.

Because Maintenance I know, but still.

The thought of one with a set of Recaro SPGs, a set of loud pipes, challenge rear grille, proper suspension and brakes gets me a bit stiff.
ste

Post by ste »

Oh, and a V6 Exige. I keep doing that scope creep thing in the classifeds, looking at nice early Exige S for not much more than £30k and then you're suddenly weighing up the merits of £100ks worth of 430 Cup.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:08 pm If we're doing that, I keep looking at F355s, specifially GTB manuals. They look suspiciously cheap to me compared to their contemporaries that have risen in value considerably quicker over recent years.
They were up around £100k when I looked last year. In 2008 a dealer I was at had one in 'my' spec (Berlinetta, red, black leather, manual) and it was a minter - £40k :cry: I didn't really have the money or anywhere sensible to keep it at the time but I still regret not having it.

I see an R8 on my horizon. A sort-of supercar with semi-reasonable running costs. Wouldn't be a daily but very useable all the same. Priced well too.

An RS6 for when I win the lottery and don't mind paying £3k for new brakes.
ste

Post by ste »

£70k retail seems to be normal entry point for a RHD GTB manual.

...which seems a 'bargain' if you compare to eg an NSX now IMO.
GG.

Post by GG. »

F355 was on the list but Ian referred to shonky build quality so that put a bit of a dampener on that for me.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:07 pm F355 was on the list but Ian referred to shonky build quality so that put a bit of a dampener on that for me.
yeah, you want one of those well built Porsches with engines delivering most of the bhp they’re supposed to!

😉
GG.

Post by GG. »

I get the feeling a missing 10% of quoted horsepower would be the least of your worries with an F355... :lol:

ETA: anyway - how are your rod bearings, just out of interest you know ;)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:46 pm I get the feeling a missing 10% of quoted horsepower would be the least of your worries with an F355... :lol:

ETA: anyway - how are your rod bearings, just out of interest you know ;)
ah yes, EVERYTHING ever found wrong on any car on the internet WILL happen to you if you buy one! FACT
GG.

Post by GG. »

Feeling sensitive, Rich? :D
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

GG. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:25 pm Feeling sensitive, Rich? :D
eh? Oh yeah, we have to do smilies on here for people to understand jokes! 😂😂😅🤣🤣
Marv

Post by Marv »

240PP wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm

I see an R8 on my horizon. A sort-of supercar with semi-reasonable running costs. Wouldn't be a daily but very useable all the same. Priced well too.

Just to make Rich a bit more angry, I've read that R8's can be pretty expensive to run....putting CSL specific parts out of the equation, I'd expect an R8 to be a reasonable amount more to run than my M3 (which in reality, it probably should be)
Oui, je suis un motard.