The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

MikeHunt

Re: The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Post by MikeHunt »

I am debating between a cheap MR2 mk3 or a considerably more expensive (as in yolo expensive) Alfa 4c. Middle ground would be the latest MX5, which could have cams or a turbo.

I’ve also been thinking about an a8 or phaeton for the other half to replace the golf. Possibly a symptom of getting older but there is an appeal.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:55 am I am debating between a cheap MR2 mk3 or a considerably more expensive (as in yolo expensive) Alfa 4c. Middle ground would be the latest MX5, which could have cams or a turbo.

I’ve also been thinking about an a8 or phaeton for the other half to replace the golf. Possibly a symptom of getting older but there is an appeal.
I have to say, if i came across one of the silly engined Phaetons for sale I'd be tempted.
An absolute unit
John

Post by John »

I've only just changed cars but give it a year or so and I'll be browsing the classifieds, no idea what for though.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 pm...2015 RS6 with akropovic exhaust and 750bhp...
To use as a daily ? I'd expect the running costs to be pretty horrendous and it's not like you can ever use that much power on the road.

My realistic "what next" is a decent lockup/workshop where I can work on cars indoors and in comfort. My garage at home is wide enough to park but too narrow to move all around the car and it's frustrating.

My middling "what next" is some kind of classic, once I have somewhere to store it. See above.

My unrealistic "what next" is upgrading the Vantage & 911 to a V12 Vantage & GT3. Or maybe a McLaren seeing as you can get a 12C for comfortably under £100k now.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:14 am
Rich B wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 pm...2015 RS6 with akropovic exhaust and 750bhp...
To use as a daily ? I'd expect the running costs to be pretty horrendous and it's not like you can ever use that much power on the road.
It sounds like a perfect daily driver to me. Big estate with comfort mode suspension and 4 litre burbling away massively unstressed delivering 20+mpg.

Then when the opportunity arises - BOOM - monster performance!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Nothing is on the cards until December 2019 at the earliest when I can remortgage and hopefully free up some cash. Then I guess my wish list would be a 928 S2 (as I've droned on about at length), then an L322 or potentially an L405 (depreciation dependent) V8 petrol Rangey.

On the more pie in the sky list (which would be contingent on selling the 911) I'd like to have owned at least for a period, something reasonably exotic with a V10 or V12. Given I'd want it to be a manuel that slims down the options notably. I'd be tempted by a V12 Vantage, Gallardo or perhaps an R8 V10. A 599 could, perhaps, maybe, even tempt me to try a paddleshift.

I can't see me ever wanting (or being in a position to) spend (half of which would likely be on finance) more than 80-90k, however, so that may rule out various options depending on where values go in the next few years. 458s may come tantalising within reach or may go the other way, who knows.

I guess with semi sensible hat on I'd probably get the X51 kit fitted to the 911 to turn it essentially into a narrow body GTS, buy an S4 GT 928 instead of an S2, rent a garage and swap the Saab for a RR too, rather than blowing everything on an exotic with limited usability. Or any combination of the above, who the hell knows.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I wanted to get a sharknose 9-5 estate which I bought a week or so ago. I would like a C70 T5 either original coupe or later folding hard top but given it would likely be for my wife as a daily I am in no rush.

I would like a 900 Turbo, a 99 Turbo and a 9000 Aero but I would not a small barn.

I used to ached for a 928 as a kid and a 911 up until recently but I look at the lease threads where you can rent something cool for £600 a month and honestly I would rather buy a banger for the same money. DIELC? :)

Given a windfall I would be more likely to get either a T5 or T4 dayvan/camper.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 amBig estate with comfort mode suspension and 4 litre burbling away massively unstressed delivering 20+mpg.

750bhp and 20mpg ? Really ?

And I didn't just mean the fuel costs, every time I read about Audi RS models there's stories of hugely expensive suspension parts, head decoking, etc. They just sound a bit fragile ? I actually considered an RS4 last year but went for the Aston on the basis of reliability & running costs !!!
GG.

Post by GG. »

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... e-928-gt/#

Dribble. There loads of other tasty stuff at that auction too.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... ulvia-13s/ 10-13 estimate for a Fulvia seems crazy low

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... ister-xjs/ Lister XJS

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... ification/ Plymouth Superbird Recreation
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Currently no idea.

I anticipate keeping the Megane for ages and the Yeti is perfect so no reason to replace it. Unless ML63 6.2s as per Dave's comment earlier come in under £15k and I can convince the wife she wants one. Or a pimped up Rangey.

After the legendary Rolling Road/Costco meet at the weekend I showed my wife the pictures and she did say she liked the little car (Duncs' 7) but wasn't sure how safe she'd feel in it. So there's an in for me to look at those as a future Megane replacement.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My dad wanted to buy a Caterham but then my mum said she didn’t feel safe in it. She really enjoys driving the Kawasaki Mule around the farm though as it sits taller and has a cage so then they were this close >.< to buying a Nomad. Then the bastard BMW dealer called and asked if he’d like to put down a deposit on a M2 CSL so the Nomad was cancelled. This was 2 years ago and nothing has come of the BMW and I still think the Nomad must be the most fun toy car there is, especially on our crap roads.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 am
Rich B wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 amBig estate with comfort mode suspension and 4 litre burbling away massively unstressed delivering 20+mpg.

750bhp and 20mpg ? Really ?

And I didn't just mean the fuel costs, every time I read about Audi RS models there's stories of hugely expensive suspension parts, head decoking, etc. They just sound a bit fragile ? I actually considered an RS4 last year but went for the Aston on the basis of reliability & running costs !!!
Ive been chatting with him this morning - it does better mpg than his S5 overall and has cheaper tax.

The internet is full of horror stories for running anything more exotic than a Golf every day. Cars cost money, fast ones cost more.
ste

Post by ste »

True but RS6s redefine 'cars cost money'.
ste

Post by ste »

I want:

- 110 crewcab Defender pickup. For mountain biking duties.
- Mk2 Golf GTI 16v (3dr, black >'90) to squirrel away and keep forever. I've had real pangs of regret recently for selling my last one.
- New family bus which is very TBC. Was looking at B7 RS4, Velar, F31 340i Touring, A6 Avant FSI 'Black Edition' and F15 X5 just in the last week. I'm all over the place as can't even decide if I want to rent or buy and if I want new or older.
Last edited by ste on Wed May 02, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ste

Post by ste »

Oh and an S1 Elise.
ste

Post by ste »

(not for family duties)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:50 pm I want:

- 110 crewcab Defender pickup. For mountain biking duties.
You'd be better to try and find a 130 if you want a crewcab and a decent size pick up bed.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I was browsing ads for C124s on Monday. A 320 Sportline in black with cream interior is mighty appealing. The family bus is staying for the next 3-4 years to probably be replaced with a newer version of same.

Realistically won't have funds to do something more until house extension is done and the DJlets are all on school (September 2022).
Last edited by DeskJockey on Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:45 pmTrue but RS6s redefine 'cars cost money'.
A standard one perhaps. If you modify it to 750bhp it'll cost less, right ?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 pmYou'd be better to try and find a 130 if you want a crewcab and a decent size pick up bed.
I was going to say something along those lines. The bed of a regular crewcab isn't really very big, it's not long or wide enough for bikes unless you start faffing about taking the wheels off (I mean the bikes wheels, obvs.). A van makes a lot more sense. A LWB VW T4/T5/T6 is big enough to seat 5/6 and still easily carry fully built bikes.