Bye Bye Sunak..

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:44 pm Yeah, hundreds of millions of pounds spent, no one sent, countless lost legal cases and the best they've had is a "rumour" that some illegals aren't crossing into NI because the threat of going to Rwanda. Thats the best lie the Tory's could come up with.
It's not been a policy that has worked for them, and they've spent a lot of effort on it seemingly at the expense of actually looking after the country as a whole. How many votes would stopping the boats win them?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:43 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:38 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 am I'm not a natural Labour voter but objectively they are the right choice.
I agree with Jobbo here

As I've said previously, we need a majority Labour government and give them the full 5 year term. Personally, I won't accept any "It's not our fault, we inherited a basket case from the Tories" excuse as they have spent a good portion of the past 6 or 8 years claiming that Brexit isn't an excuse, that Covid isn't an excuse and that if they were on Government, then they would have done better. So put your money where you mouth is and prove you can make this country better across the board.
This, comes across as pathetic and making excuses. You politicians knew all that when you signed up for this so stop using it as an excuse. If you're that unhappy with the state of the country that you've inherited then fuck off and let someone else who has a vision get on with the role instead.
The amount of things that are almost irreparably broken is very, very long. As there isn't a magic money tree any incoming government will have to look at what they can achieve, and given we've had 14 years of Tory scorched earth government, I can forgive the next non-Tory incumbents for blaming their predecessors for the sheer volume of work needed to fix what's been broken.

I expect them to get on with fixing and making progress, but you're deluded if you think the damage can be undone in one parliament. It will most likely take more than a decade to solve some of the biggest problems (teacher retention, NHS staffing to name but two). So, there will be ministers blaming what went before to explain why things aren't magically fixed in an afternoon.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

80% of Migrants entering the Irish Republic are travelling over the border from Northern Ireland. Given that, Rwanda aside, they will get a hell of a lot more in the UK than in the Irish Republic, this does suggest that a significant number believe the Rumour.

Why else would they risk their lives crossing the channel in small boats to leave the one of the richest members of the EU, connected by land to the rest of the bloc, to get to the UK, only then to leave the UK and return to the EU to live in a tent in the most isolated and one of the most financially struggling EU members ??

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Delphi wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:36 pm
IanF wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 pm And let’s look at how well Labour run Wales and London are doing.. nope, they are all shockingly shit, self-serving hypocrites; no matter what colour they profess.
That's a line straight out of Tufton Street. London and Wales get their funding from.... the government. You really think the Tories are going to spunk a load of cash on their rivals making them look good?
You think the Tories made Wales change their speed limits? And then change them back again? Or increase the number of Welsh assembly members by 40% with the added cost, without a public vote? Going to have to disagree.

Dinny, the diplomatic aspect where the UK won’t accept the illegal immigrants back from Ireland unless France accepts them from us is quite clever (don’t know if intentional or not), but certainly applies further pressure on France
Cheers,

Ian
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The hypocrisy I'm hearing from back home is quite staggering... :lol:

The self same people who were calling the British "Barbaric" when the migrant camps first popped up in Calais are now calling for immediate action to deal with this "Migrant Problem" :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:57 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:44 pm Yeah, hundreds of millions of pounds spent, no one sent, countless lost legal cases and the best they've had is a "rumour" that some illegals aren't crossing into NI because the threat of going to Rwanda. Thats the best lie the Tory's could come up with.
It's not been a policy that has worked for them, and they've spent a lot of effort on it seemingly at the expense of actually looking after the country as a whole. How many votes would stopping the boats win them?
Enough to make it worthwhile - if it could actually be done... But the problem is that the Rwanda scheme clearly isn't an viable solution.

Trying to police the English channel to stop arrivals is also not going to bring them much in the way of results without very significant investment and cooperation of the French (which won't be forthcoming as it mean more stay with them in camps in Northern France).

They are better ramping up deportations of those who come here without legitimate cause but that involves grappling with and streamlining the asylum system to reduce stalling tactics and not allowing ridiculous reasons such as sex offenders being able to stay because that sort of thing is frowned on in Afghanistan (he was adjudged to be at risk of "mob violence"). Clearly the rights of the applicant in that case were not adequately balanced against our legitimate insterests in removing him - that could be a case of bias in the decision makers and if not and it was the only decision that could be reached by applying the relevant law, then such laws need to be changed. Part of it is also an administrative system that is not even remotely effective - one applicant said that numerous letters were sent to her but no enforcement action ever taken.

The low hanging fruit to appease the right of centre voter is not actually asylum at all, but rather the existing laxity in the immigration system - Sunak has finally closed ridiculous loopholes such as students being allowed to bring dependents but all it does is make them look ridiculous that they've been in power for umpteen years and that kind of thing is only being changed now...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, a lot of Sunaks musings yesterday were about fixing the country.

Mate, who's been running it for the last fifteen years?

Anyway, here's something that's worth absorbing before overthinking small boats/asylum etc
https://freemovement.org.uk/briefing-th ... um-system/

The asylum system is basically completely fucked at the moment. Likely by design if you look at who was in charge of the home office during the times the numbers started skyrocketing and the rhetoric being used.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Delphi wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:36 pm
IanF wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 pm And let’s look at how well Labour run Wales and London are doing.. nope, they are all shockingly shit, self-serving hypocrites; no matter what colour they profess.
That's a line straight out of Tufton Street. London and Wales get their funding from.... the government. You really think the Tories are going to spunk a load of cash on their rivals making them look good?

Ian was right - they're all different shades of the same shit. The devolved Govts have plenty enough power over the things that matter but they won't use that power because they're fucking inept. Better to blame Westminster and that will stay the same no matter who's in Westminster. They've also proved they can't even handle the simple stuff.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri May 24, 2024 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Anyone who thinks Labour will do anything different and this country won't be just as fucked in 5yrs is smoking crack
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:27 pm Yeah, a lot of Sunaks musings yesterday were about fixing the country.

Mate, who's been running it for the last fifteen years?
the entire campaign has been and will be that they have "a plan". Why after 14 years have they only got "a plan"?

The facts are, inflation rates have come down, they know they're not going to manage any other of their pledges, so now is as good as it's going to get for them.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Fully selfishly, and on the assumption that we're going to get a Labour government, I'd like to know their plans for funding Defence. Not the headline hand waving soundbite stuff, but whether the £2bn programme I'm working on is going to get instantly canned :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:49 pm Fully selfishly, and on the assumption that we're going to get a Labour government, I'd like to know their plans for funding Defence. Not the headline hand waving soundbite stuff, but whether the £2bn programme I'm working on is going to get instantly canned :lol:
IIRC Starmer has already said he agrees with the Tory defence spending pledges.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

This is why I can’t with Kier Starmer tbh. He’s a liar and he’s gutted Labour to appeal to a demo that’ll forget about him and go back to voting for the tories in 5 years.

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/179 ... QnW3eQVIwA
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I imagine putting "I'm firing you because you're an antisemitic old twat" in a formal motion would probably just lead to endless legal battles. Much cleaner to say that Mr Corbyns values don't align with the Labour Party and just get rid of the waste of space.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That doesn’t make sense, if they have evidence of anti semitism then it’s a perfectly valid reason to deselect someone.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Can’t believe people are still falling for the Corbyn is an anti semite bit tbh.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:26 pm That doesn’t make sense, if they have evidence of anti semitism then it’s a perfectly valid reason to deselect someone.
i imagine that proving something as subjective as antisemitism would be a long protracted legal battle, and KS has a better knowledge of legal battles than most.

Why bother with all that, the fact that JC was continually involved in speculation and challenge is enough to show that his being in the party was a problem.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It’ll be pretty funny when he wipes the floor with them as an independent.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:35 pm It’ll be pretty funny when he wipes the floor with them as an independent.
meh, one less seat is definitely a fair trade off to get rid of the never ending controversy from having him in the party.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I wouldn’t be so sure tbh.

Like I said, it’s this kind of stuff that’s driving core Labour voters away.

Very short sighted imo.
An absolute unit