Bye Bye Sunak..

dinny_g

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by dinny_g »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:59 am We all know what we’ll get from Labour. Years of everything still being shit but “it’s not our fault the conservatives did it”. Then the money hose gets turned on and everything is brilliant…. until the money runs out and a conservative government gets voted back in on the back of fiscal responsibility policies.

T’was ever thus.
Very much this.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:59 am It’s an absolutely nailed down conservative area where I live but I’m voting Lib Dem.
Pretty much this, is where my head is currently at.
Left over crest; tightens.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:59 am
integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:25 pm I’m probably not going to bother voting. I’m not going to pretend I’m happy with the way things have been going, but I’m not sure labour would have done much better or will do in the future.
Vote Lib Dem. If it’s enough to stop either of the others getting a majority it’ll be a good thing.

We all know what we’ll get from Labour. Years of everything still being shit but “it’s not our fault the conservatives did it”. Then the money hose gets turned on and everything is brilliant…. until the money runs out and a conservative government gets voted back in on the back of fiscal responsibility policies.

T’was ever thus.

It’s an absolutely nailed down conservative area where I live but I’m voting Lib Dem.
I am in a similar boat however I voted for Cleggs lot and that still smarts, they will never get my vote again.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

drcarlos wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:42 am
integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:25 pm I’m probably not going to bother voting. I’m not going to pretend I’m happy with the way things have been going, but I’m not sure labour would have done much better or will do in the future.
Vote Lib Dem. If it’s enough to stop either of the others getting a majority it’ll be a good thing.

We all know what we’ll get from Labour. Years of everything still being shit but “it’s not our fault the conservatives did it”. Then the money hose gets turned on and everything is brilliant…. until the money runs out and a conservative government gets voted back in on the back of fiscal responsibility policies.

T’was ever thus.

It’s an absolutely nailed down conservative area where I live but I’m voting Lib Dem.
I am in a similar boat however I voted for Cleggs lot and that still smarts, they will never get my vote again.
Which is a pretty daft way to think even before you analyse whether or not that term was a half decent one
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Coalitions do not work.

Britain needs a sign-post now, no matter if you don't like where it's pointing, not a weather vane, forever spinning and turning so as to not piss off one group or the other
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:50 am

T’was ever thus.

Which is a pretty daft way to think even before you analyse whether or not that term was a half decent one
Why? It just proves they are untrustworthy self serving virtue signallers like the rest of them, once they get a sniff of power they will back track on any promises made.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:50 am

T’was ever thus.

Since the whole of SJ's argument is that leopards don't change their spots, surely it's not at all daft and quite a normal way to think?

I wouldn't vote Lib Dem now because they had their chance, fucked it up and aren't in any way a party capable of running the country. Starmer is capable of running the country and the Tories have shown they are not; they can't even run their own party and they don't even have candidates for many seats despite the election being 6 weeks away. I'm not a natural Labour voter but objectively they are the right choice.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks like the misinformation campaign has begun, I'm already getting posts from Labour on my FB feed with some made up graphs telling me that the only way to get the Tories out of my constituency is a tactical vote for Labour. Which can only be complete nonsense, Labour were a distant third in 2019 getting about half the votes of the Lib Dems in second. Lib Dems are the only party with a viable shot at dislodging the Tories here IMO, if you're a Labour supporter I'd say a tactical vote for Lib Dems is a better bet in terms of the national picture.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 am I wouldn't vote Lib Dem now because they had their chance, fucked it up and aren't in any way a party capable of running the country.
It was nearly a decade ago, at some point people are going to need to move past it.

No, they're not going to run the country, but in decent numbers they can provide a voice that can vote objectively without being forced along party lines. For me that's healthy and needed in Westminster, so it's a bit sad that everyone is looking backwards. Two massively dominant parties is not a good thing IMO.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Voting based on what a completely different set of politicians did in the past seems a pretty daft idea to me.

Though the irony of the matter is that a part of my thinking is based on the performance of the last 3-4 PMs - though that is only the last couple of years!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Especially when Starmer has moved Labour so far back towards the right since the last election.

Either he’s still just talking shit or not much is going to change after the election.

Has he said he would roll back any of the gov’s dogshit policies?
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:58 am
Jobbo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 am I wouldn't vote Lib Dem now because they had their chance, fucked it up and aren't in any way a party capable of running the country.
It was nearly a decade ago, at some point people are going to need to move past it.
OK, they've had nearly 10 years but they have not moved things forwards one iota since then. Rather than taking the opportunity to rebuild they've made themselves look unelectable except in local government. A real shame.

Zed, Starmer and Labour have been reluctant to announce details, I understand, simply because they expect the Conservatives will nick their ideas. I imagine with the need for a full manifesto now, that will flush them out.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

He has said he’ll roll back the Rwanda policy, hasn’t he??
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:31 pm He has said he’ll roll back the Rwanda policy, hasn’t he??
Thats because it's dumb, hugely expensive and won't work.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:54 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:31 pm He has said he’ll roll back the Rwanda policy, hasn’t he??
Thats because it's dumb, hugely expensive and won't work.
Was it ever supposed to work in practical terms? It only needs to create enough headlines that those headlines propagate throughout the migrant groups and make them believe that if they try to enter illegally there's a possibility they'll end up in central Africa. It's the deterrent that's the key to it, not the reality of actually flying thousands of people round the world. Of course if the government publicly explained that it wouldn't be much of a deterrent. Keeping it in the headlines and bouncing around the courts and the houses is probably ideal because it's in the news but they don't actually have to execute it.

Not saying it's a good solution, but actually everyone saying how barbaric it is helps fulfil the aims of the policy.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rwanda capacity so small that it's not a disincentive. 200 people per year capacity.

Look at the last table here and you can see that crossings have increased this year apart from Feb which we had non stop storms so the message most certainly isn't getting across the way the government thinks it should.
https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/channe ... gs-tracker
How about not having a sig at all?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

IanF wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:58 pm And let’s look at how well Labour run Wales and London are doing.. nope, they are all shockingly shit, self-serving hypocrites; no matter what colour they profess.
That's a line straight out of Tufton Street. London and Wales get their funding from.... the government. You really think the Tories are going to spunk a load of cash on their rivals making them look good?
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 am I'm not a natural Labour voter but objectively they are the right choice.
I agree with Jobbo here

As I've said previously, we need a majority Labour government and give them the full 5 year term. Personally, I won't accept any "It's not our fault, we inherited a basket case from the Tories" excuse as they have spent a good portion of the past 6 or 8 years claiming that Brexit isn't an excuse, that Covid isn't an excuse and that if they were on Government, then they would have done better. So put your money where you mouth is and prove you can make this country better across the board.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

dinny_g wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:38 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 am I'm not a natural Labour voter but objectively they are the right choice.
I agree with Jobbo here

As I've said previously, we need a majority Labour government and give them the full 5 year term. Personally, I won't accept any "It's not our fault, we inherited a basket case from the Tories" excuse as they have spent a good portion of the past 6 or 8 years claiming that Brexit isn't an excuse, that Covid isn't an excuse and that if they were on Government, then they would have done better. So put your money where you mouth is and prove you can make this country better across the board.
This, comes across as pathetic and making excuses. You politicians knew all that when you signed up for this so stop using it as an excuse. If you're that unhappy with the state of the country that you've inherited then fuck off and let someone else who has a vision get on with the role instead.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, hundreds of millions of pounds spent, no one sent, countless lost legal cases and the best they've had is a "rumour" that some illegals aren't crossing into NI because the threat of going to Rwanda. Thats the best lie the Tory's could come up with.