Your fleet running reports

Mito Man

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Mito Man »

Carlos wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:31 pm
It's the same handle and mechanism as a Fiat Doblo/Peugeot Bipper which is much cheaper than the Alfa part!
Haven't had time to look at it yet. The mouse has consumed another half block of poison since yesterday though. I'm starting to wonder if I'm poisoning it or if they've made these things so environmentally friendly that I'm just feeding the darn thing a treat :roll:
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:26 pm I use the classic additions ones now much better, they do lose their waterproofness after a while...
Can you re-proof them like you do with outdoor jackets etc. ?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:02 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:26 pm I use the classic additions ones now much better, they do lose their waterproofness after a while...
Can you re-proof them like you do with outdoor jackets etc. ?
I’d imagine if you lash it with some of this stuff it’ll work. I’ve used it on tents and it works great, no harsh chemicals or difficult procedures either- adds uv resistance too
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ooh, interesting. For some reason I thought the re-proofing stuff was a thing you put in the washing machine with the garment to get it thoroughly mixed. Car covers are a bit big. With a spray / paint application that might be easier.

Although - with a tent the inside of the fabric is mostly not touching anything when you apply it. On a car almost all of it is. Wondering will it dry properly, will it stick, will it damage the paint ?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I have looked at similar but never tried anything and have the same questions!
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

We have a very cheapie gazebo thing that's roughly car dimensioned - 4.5m x 3m IIRC. If I put the frame up without the cover I could drape the car cover over it and treat it. It won't hold it taught like a tent but it would at least keep it off the car.

The cover I have on The Compact leaks terribly; in truth I only really have it on there to stop the seats fading from the UV. The car itself doesn't leak and I don't particularly GAF about the paintwork. This will be a perfect test case.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I remember putting some sort of waterproofing on the fabric roof of our Elise - even at a couple of years old and mostly kept in the garage, the fabric began to leak. Fabsil I think it was. It worked really well though was an utter pig to get into the seams.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

No point doing the guessing game as it's not my car, but I'll include it here as part of the family fleet. My Dad has just bought this Saab 9-3 Turbo SE 'HOT'. It looks quite smart.

https://www.barons-auctions.com/content ... 2&cid=5366

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Lovely! I do like a SAAB. I was very tempted to get a 9-3 Aero before we bought the Volvo. Went to look at one locally at a dealer, but on closer inspection it was cosmetically very rough and they were not willing to budge on the price.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

They do look good. But don't bother asking for a drive; even the hard-top version drove like crap :lol:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:19 am I remember putting some sort of waterproofing on the fabric roof of our Elise - even at a couple of years old and mostly kept in the garage, the fabric began to leak. Fabsil I think it was. It worked really well though was an utter pig to get into the seams.
I used an Autoglm kit on the Elise, worked brilliantly. Came with a harsh sponge and cleaner to get rid of the grime, then some spray on sealant to finish.

Used to put it on just before winter and massively improved water ingress and misting internally.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Fabsil didn't come with a cleaner - didn't think about it because the car felt almost new. Typical Lotus, leaking from purchase :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve used 303 fabric guard on canvas outdoor stuff and it works well but doesn’t last too long. They do marine grade stuff which I assume is much more durable. 303 are a decent brand in general though.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Fabsil is pretty harsh solvent based stuff I think, I’d try the nikwax stuff first- you wet the fabric, spray it all over and cloth off the excess
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:39 pm They do look good. But don't bother asking for a drive; even the hard-top version drove like crap :lol:
I'm definitely going to try it, why wouldn't I ?? It's called "doing your own research".

Back to my fleet, voltage regulator removed yesterday to confirm required part number, it appears it's not available as a spare part :roll: I can't find anything UK based. A couple of US sites offering an "equivalent". Visually it's the same as various others that are available here. I'm not sure what the actual internal difference would be ? Just the current rating ? They all serve the same purpose, and run at the same voltage, so I'm tempted to try one and see what happens.

IMG_2639.jpeg
IMG_2639.jpeg (123.56 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:06 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:39 pm They do look good. But don't bother asking for a drive; even the hard-top version drove like crap :lol:
I'm definitely going to try it, why wouldn't I ?? It's called "doing your own research".
Yeah, don't have any high expectations and it'll be fine. I drove my Dad's (5dr LPT) to Letterkenny in Co. Donegal in autumn 2000 so had plenty of experience of it. At least it was better than the pre-facelift version badged as a 900. Not a patch on the 9000 and CS which preceded it though.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I still miss my Saab, it was a superb do everything car.

I'd like a cabrio one day, they look a great Sunday car for wafting about in on nice days, wouldn't be upset about the handling, as long as it has the power to get past dawdlers, which all the turbo ones should, it would be fine 8-)

Off to see an i3 this weekend, 2015 non REx, low miles, one owner.

Will only be used for my wife's commute which is 7 miles each way, up and down some very large hills.

As long as it will do 60 miles off a charge (in winter) I think I'll buy it, need to then decide whether to chop XF for it, try sell it privately (which I can't be arsed with) or clear the garage out and keep it.

Keeping it seems a waste as then it will hardly ever get used, but if I ever want another I won't find one in as good condition, with full history and a warranty that covers the full cost of the important bits (can renew continuously now it has one). I still fancy a cabrio for summer though so could always also get something smaller and roofless to stick in garage like a C70 or a 9-3.

Not sure having three cars is necessary though, can't remember the last time I went out for a drive for the sake of it, I use the Kuga a lot more than the XF now it's cold, mainly as it's nice getting in a car that's defrosted and warm before I've even got in, the XF has done 1700 miles since it's last MOT.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:06 am

Back to my fleet, voltage regulator removed yesterday to confirm required part number, it appears it's not available as a spare part :roll: I can't find anything UK based. A couple of US sites offering an "equivalent". Visually it's the same as various others that are available here. I'm not sure what the actual internal difference would be ? Just the current rating ? They all serve the same purpose, and run at the same voltage, so I'm tempted to try one and see what happens.

IMG_2639.jpeg
https://www.autoelectro.co.uk/

These guys are worth a try, I've had them recon all sorts of alternators over the years, Stag, SD1, 911, XJS V12, and loads more I can't remember.

Great service and they seem to be able to get bits for things you'd never think of being able to get!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:23 am
I do like those. Saab's in general don't do "dynamic" but they are a very pleasant place to be and with 200bhp, it will be quick enough.
My 9-3 Aero drove like the bulkhead was cracked, even though the bulkhead wasn't cracked but the bulkheads do crack so he should check the bulkhead isn't cracked.

I like the word "bulkhead".

Also, this is one of the very few examples of 3 spoke alloys being acceptable. 8-)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:26 am I do like those. Saab's in general don't do "dynamic" but they are a very pleasant place to be and with 200bhp, it will be quick enough.
My 9-3 Aero drove like the bulkhead was cracked, even though the bulkhead wasn't cracked but the bulkheads do crack so he should check the bulkhead isn't cracked.

I like the word "bulkhead".
Just don't mention crack.

DnTER9vXcAUSgim.jpeg
DnTER9vXcAUSgim.jpeg (131.2 KiB) Viewed 3846 times