Decent Recent TV

ZedLeg

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by ZedLeg »

Finished S2 of the bear. It was good, even if the last episode pissed me off. They couldn’t let Carmen have one good day :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:02 pm Finished S2 of the bear.
We did that Sunday night. I may have been screaming "someone get a fucking screwdriver and take that lock/keeper off!" at the telly box.

Enjoyed E7 Forks in particular. And Jamie Lee Curtis was fantastic in the previous episode.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm I've not read the books, was thinking I'd start once I'm through the current stack.
Thoroughly recommended, I'm now nearly done with book 5 and a lot of the stuff that irritated me in that season is better explained. So far the show and books compliment each other fantastically well. I'll be tempted into a full rewatch after I'm done with book nine.

Finished binging The Dragon Prince up to the latest season with junior Yob, starts really very slowly season 1 and very naive, by Season 5 there's a large dose of demonic possession and blood magic. It's no Avatar or Korra animation wise but still good stuff, now looking for something else PG13 suitable for a nightly wind down.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Offer on Paramount+

Dramatisation about the making of The Godfather - I'm two episodes in and it's really really good. Miles Teller and Juno Temple play the producer (who's brand new to the business) and his assistant, Mathew Goode plays the boss at Paramount Pictures (who's stealing the show at the moment) and Giovanni Ribisi plays the Mob Boss trying to shut it all down.

I may end up binging the whole thing this weekend...

EDIT - finished it. It's brilliant from start to finish.

Mathew Goode's character really is brilliant
Last edited by dinny_g on Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

New season of Top Boy dropped on Netflix today

Quality of the writing and acting is 100% consistently fantastic, as it was with the previous series, although this one feels like it's got a darker edge to it. Things seem out of control from the start. Watched three episodes so far and feel ready to binge the rest already.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Started One Piece after a few recommendations. Didn't expect much as I thought it was a kids thing, until a guy got skewered like a kebab in the first 15 mins and they dropped swear words.

It's actually really enjoyable. On episode 6 but it's well cast and acted, with some great villains. Well worth a watch.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Storyville
iHuman
Contains some strong language and some upsetting scenes.
Contains discriminatory language.
A Storyville documentary exploring the true impact of artificial intelligence on the world

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... lle-ihuman
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

First episode of the new season of the Wrexham football thing has come out on Disney, first season was surprisingly great, this one has started off well so looking forward to it again, shame it's only one new episode a week.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Farscape

Yeah, this is still good. The reliance on practical effects means it's still looks good in a way that other series from the age....well, don't, and it's a bit lighter than most.

Also an excellent introduction to the australian fetish scene. Those outfits, oh my!

Seven nuclear warheads as negotiation tactics out of ten
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

16vCento wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:35 am First episode of the new season of the Wrexham football thing has come out on Disney, first season was surprisingly great, this one has started off well so looking forward to it again, shame it's only one new episode a week.
I really enjoyed the first season and this episode was a good start. I do wonder why they make this weekly given we all know what happened last season. I'd have thought dropping it in one go would make more sense.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:20 am
16vCento wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:35 am First episode of the new season of the Wrexham football thing has come out on Disney, first season was surprisingly great, this one has started off well so looking forward to it again, shame it's only one new episode a week.
I really enjoyed the first season and this episode was a good start. I do wonder why they make this weekly given we all know what happened last season. I'd have thought dropping it in one go would make more sense.
I'm not sure how much reasonable life the series has in it tbh - they achieved what they set out to, and there's only so much McElhenney/Reynolds sarcasm capable of carrying it much further. And when you're watching it a season out of sync it feels a bit of a drag tbh. Unforutnately the wife and her family are from Wrexham so I'll probably have to endure it for ever more. :lol:
tim

Post by tim »

Married At First Sight UK starts again tonight, which is always good value popcorn tv. There's a trans person in it this year and apparently the "groom" doesn't know. Which seems like a fucking terrible thing to do, but also, will make excellent telly.

I appreciate none of you alpha-males will be watching this, but IDGAF will watch it anyway :D
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:00 am
Ascender wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:20 am
I'm not sure how much reasonable life the series has in it tbh - they achieved what they set out to, and there's only so much McElhenney/Reynolds sarcasm capable of carrying it much further. And when you're watching it a season out of sync it feels a bit of a drag tbh. Unforutnately the wife and her family are from Wrexham so I'll probably have to endure it for ever more. :lol:
I guess the dream scenario would be that they make it to the Premier League, but we all know how difficult that is for any team these days.
Cheers,

Mike.
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Yeah I'd imagine even movie star money won't get them to the premier league, it's nice for people to see the stuff going on behind the scenes that most would never be aware of.

Hopefully a couple more seasons at least, Wrexham have had a great start to the season in league two.

My friends family have a farm in Llangollen so we're going to try get over to Wrexham for a match.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

tim wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:12 pm Married At First Sight UK starts again tonight, which is always good value popcorn tv. There's a trans person in it this year and apparently the "groom" doesn't know. Which seems like a fucking terrible thing to do, but also, will make excellent telly.

I appreciate none of you alpha-males will be watching this, but IDGAF will watch it anyway :D
Forewarned thank you (unlike the person marrying the trans :shock: ) when MAFS is on in the same room where I'm doing manly things like Lego, it just seems like every pair it's setup to fail pretty much.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:18 am Farscape

Yeah, this is still good. The reliance on practical effects means it's still looks good in a way that other series from the age....well, don't, and it's a bit lighter than most.

Also an excellent introduction to the australian fetish scene. Those outfits, oh my!

It stands up well doesn't it? Rewatched it all a few months ago after my most recent abortive attempt to get into the Expanse.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

16vCento wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:36 pm Yeah I'd imagine even movie star money won't get them to the premier league, it's nice for people to see the stuff going on behind the scenes that most would never be aware of.

Hopefully a couple more seasons at least, Wrexham have had a great start to the season in league two.

My friends family have a farm in Llangollen so we're going to try get over to Wrexham for a match.
Good luck with that - I get the impression that even locals are struggling to get tickets and that it's the cause of some consternation. There's certainly been criticism of the away ticket allocations as well. Hopefully will be resolved by the New Kop once it's up and running.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

100 Foot Wave - Series 2

I could have sworn I put up a post about Series 1 but I can't seem to find it. 6 Parter following the teams Tow surfing 80 and 90 foot waves at Nazare in Portugal and waiting for the mythical 100 foot wave.

Series 1 was focused on the original teams, living and working almost in isolation from the rest of the surfing community. This would have been 2010/2021 ish... They were working with the local government to develop the area for surfing. It ended with Garret McNamara (the main character in the series) setting a new world record and very quickly seeing it beaten. Then the inaugural Big Wave Competition.

Series 2 picks up the story around 2020 and 2021 - You can tell already that the focus on this series is going to be the crowds. Where there used to be 5 or 6 teams out (Jet Ski Driver and Surfer), now there are 30 or 40 on big days.

Its fascinating stuff and the footage is awesome.

Edit - binged 5 hours this evening to complete the series. It’s not focused on crowds but more his the “older guard” bring the younger guns through.

It’s a brilliant series and we’ll worth a watch, even if you’ve never surfed
Last edited by dinny_g on Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
16vCento
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:39 am
16vCento wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:36 pm Yeah I'd imagine even movie star money won't get them to the premier league, it's nice for people to see the stuff going on behind the scenes that most would never be aware of.

Good luck with that - I get the impression that even locals are struggling to get tickets and that it's the cause of some consternation. There's certainly been criticism of the away ticket allocations as well. Hopefully will be resolved by the New Kop once it's up and running.
Luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it :lol: ) I'm a member at Bradford City so should get an away ticket in February.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:45 am
Beany wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:18 am Farscape

It stands up well doesn't it? Rewatched it all a few months ago after my most recent abortive attempt to get into the Expanse.
I've been getting told for years to watch Voyager.

I've got a hold of it now.

See you all in a couple of months I guess....