Your fleet running reports

duncs500

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by duncs500 »

IanF wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:39 pm Wow! Yes, not heard about this.. details please!
How long have you got!? :) It's basically gone from a somewhat tired 94k mile S1 to more or less a brand new car.

I went for a milder state of tune than the rockets that Dan often does, because I want it to be a bit more of a usable road car than some tend to be.

If Dan has time he can give you the proper nerdy stuff, but it's got standard plenum / throttle body, with fancy cams, forged pistons and loads of other lovely bits. Target was 250bhp, which I think was probably quite ambitious without the ITBs, I would have been happy with 240+... nevertheless Dan absolutely nailed it and it dyno'd at 250.2bhp! :D

He also did a full refurb on the wishbones (which were a state) whilst adding some top notch bits like Spitfire toe links.
Last edited by duncs500 on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Blimey. You kept that bloody quiet indeed !!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:o 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:09 pm:o 8-)
+1
How about not having a sig at all?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:13 pm
IanF wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:39 pm Wow! Yes, not heard about this.. details please!
How long have you got!? :) It's basically gone from a somewhat tired 94k mile S1 to more or less a brand new car.

I went for a milder state of tune than the rockets that Dan often does, because I want it to be a bit more of a usable road car than some tend to be.

If Dan has time he can give you the proper needy stuff, but it's got standard plenum / throttle body, with fancy cams, forged pistons and loads of other lovely bits. Target was 250bhp, which I think was probably quite ambitious without the ITBs, I would have been happy with 240+... nevertheless Dan absolutely nailed it and it dyno'd at 250.2bhp! :D

He also did a full refurb on the wishbones (which were a state) whilst adding some top notch bits like Spitfire toe links.
That sounds like an absolutely wonderful twisty-busting rocket. Very cool.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:09 pm
I'm super pleased with it. Unfortunately I haven't done much more than drive it home at the moment as my daughter has a nasty bug so been doing family stuff. However, the drive home was enough for me to know that it's already the perfect car for me, and going to be so much fun to own.

It's got everything really, plenty of torque from low revs, but builds to a wild crescendo all the way to 8600rpm, makes a great noise (or noises, it's got a real low down growl when you accelerate from lower revs and a feral top end). Gear change is proper short throw bolt-action. But it's kept all the Elise precision, and feels like it real wants you to push it.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:41 pm
I'm super pleased with it. Unfortunately I haven't done much more than drive it home at the moment as my daughter has a nasty bug so been doing family stuff. However, the drive home was enough for me to know that it's already the perfect car for me, and going to be so much fun to own.

It's got everything really, plenty of torque from low revs, but builds to a wild crescendo all the way to 8600rpm, makes a great noise (or noises, it's got a real low down growl when you accelerate from lower revs and a feral top end). Gear change is proper short throw bolt-action. But it's kept all the Elise precision, and feels like it real wants you to push it.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:50 pm For those of you that haven't seen on insta, phase 1 of project S1 has been completed in outstanding fashion by Mr @dan Webster.

A few minor performance mods to pep the old girl up a bit ;)

That is CAF 8-) I saw the dyno run on Dan's page - it's impressive to say the least.

If this is Phase 1...what's next?
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:41 pm

Great stuff Duncs. Exige Bodykit next?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Probably misleading to call it phase 1, phase 1 is THE phase. Now it's a case of sticking on all the wanky bits that everyone sticks on Elises as and when I can afford them. :lol:

The paintwork isn't great, so one day a re-spray probably, but that would be the next biggest thing.

I want to keep it standard looking in terms of the body though.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:13 pm

If Dan has time he can give you the proper nerdy stuff, but it's got standard plenum / throttle body, with fancy cams, forged pistons and loads of other lovely bits. Target was 250bhp, which I think was probably quite ambitious without the ITBs, I would have been happy with 240+... nevertheless Dan absolutely nailed it and it dyno'd at 250.2bhp! :D

Sounds pretty damn perfect! Hopefully we will get to see it in September! 👍👍
Cheers,

Ian
dan

Post by dan »

It did slightly better than I expected too, I would have been happy with anything over 240hp given the oem plenum and throttle body, but its not a coincidence that it goes so well, its the result of everything being optimised for the install.

Now every rolling road you go to claims to be accurate and i'm no exception to that rule, but what I have is a lot of empirical data to base that on. The rolling road I use is known universally as either pessimistic or just plain telling lies, but I like to think it gives a pretty true representation. For example, a completely standard EP3 civic will make around 195hp on our rollers, I think from memory they were rated at 197ps.

Standard K20's with a few bolt on mods make anywhere between 200 and 225hp as they're very sensitive to things like exhaust manifold design and intake runner length. Every other company that converts honda elises claims 240hp out of the box and to be honest they're so quick you'd believe that without a moments hesitation so when Duncs finds himself alongside another '250hp' k20 elise he's going to enjoy it immensely.

Its not the headline figure thats most impressive though, the torque curve is the best bit. Its doing 160lb ft by 3000rpm and peaks at 177lb ft, but never drops below 160 all the way to the redline. Thats 88lb ft per litre from a pretty mild spec engine, more than the old M3 lump that held the production car record for donkeys year. The way it delivers it is also super impressive, there's no discernible change in delivery when the VTEC switches over to the higher profile other than a slight change in intake note. There's a number of reasons for this - firstly, the lower profile now has more lift then OEM K20 vtec cams on high lift, but more importantly the phase is shifted on the cam lobes meaning the variable cam timing doesn't have to make a big change in position when the cams switch from the low to the high profile. The variable cam timing gear can only move at a certain maximum speed (about 10 degrees of cam advance per tenth of a second) and with standard vtec cams the engine desires drastically different advance figures on the low to the high cam (mostly for economy and efficiency reasons, also to provide a bit of drama and that kick in the back when the vtec switches) but that's no longer necessary on Duncs' engine so the change is virtually imperceptible.

Theres a million other really cool details....just ask if you want to know anything specific.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

So much want. Duncs/Dan I salute you both And I am green with envy.
John

Post by John »

Very nice indeed 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

As is probably becoming clear, and as you all know, Dan's attention to detail is just incredible. Every bit of the work is executed meticulously, and if he's not happy with how something has ended up, he'll do it again.

The bit that keeps surprising me is just how empty the engine bay looks, it's so well packaged and neat. You can see everything and spot so many of the details if you have a good look. Hard to do it justice in photos.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nice that - been following on insta, didnt realise it was yours Duncs
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Looked at a few cars yesterday to get a wee runabout to last until insurance pays out and we decide what we want and source it.

Missed out on a TT and then an A5 by moments so ended up in an R53 Cooper complete with JCW bodykit. In white with black roof and mirrors. My son has loved Minis since he was tiny so he is delighted.

Impressions so far, it rattles over road surfaces so much (19 years old so fair enough) and handles very well.

It may end up staying a wee while, not sure yet.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Good choice with the MINI. They’re great little cars, and parts aren’t all that expensive if you decide to freshen the suspension a bit.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:23 pm Good choice with the MINI. They’re great little cars, and parts aren’t all that expensive if you decide to freshen the suspension a bit.
I think this has been someone's passion as it really is astonishingly tidy for such an old car. Just did the obligatory new car clean and the boot has slight lacquer peel and a couple of bits where wee chips have peeled paint off but probably £100 would see that right, wheels are OK but could do with a refurb but there is a local garage that sells a load of minis and they had an older one with nice two tone leather and sun roof for £4k with high miles tatty and clouded lights. I could probably flog this to them for more than I just paid after a few months, assuming I do get rid.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:58 am So much want. Duncs/Dan I salute you both And I am green with envy.
This!