Decent Recent TV

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Gavster »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:51 am Is that the big wummin who hosted Eurovision?
Yeah that’s the one.
tim

Post by tim »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:38 pm It was BBC Tim - warning though, it’s a really difficult watch
I've watched 3 of 5 so far, and I've found it very interesting. It's certainly filled in some gaps in my knowledge, being a child of the 70s I was aware of what was going on, the hunger strikes etc, but not some of the finer nuance and details of it.

I wouldn't call it a difficult watch, but then maybe that's becasue I don't have any skin in the game, so to speak. I'm sure it's very different for people who come from around that way tho.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

If you've never seen it, Hunger is a good movie about the hunger strikes. Michael Fassbender played Bobby Sands and went through a frankly frightening weight loss programme for it.
An absolute unit
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Tour de France: Unchained

A documentary series on Netflix that follows the 2022 Tour de France from inside a bunch of the top teams. It's a great watch where they really build on the tension and rivalry within each stage. It's especially good if you don't follow cycling closely or know who won the tour last year 😃. It's also a great reminder that in sport there's always an element of luck, good or bad, that can dramatically change the results, even if you are the fastest.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

RobYob wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:57 pm Mrs Davis I have absolutely no idea what is going on but it is undeniably entertaining if you can cope with the weirdness and occasional ultraviolence.
Finished and while the ending was satisfactory the middle couple of episodes were all over the place. Hard to recommend unless you have patience. Which is a shame because the global AI core story (and origin thereof) was quite good.

Enjoying Ted Lasso as another shameless Hannah W fan, the Mrs is into Roy so everyone gets something. :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Catching up on some older series

True Detective Series 1 - fantastic, just fantastic! Brilliantly written, superb acting 9/10

True Detective Series 2 - lost it’s way a little. A bit more typical cop series but a good conclusion 6/10

True Detective Series 3 - better and back to the feel of the first one. Ending had a few surprises but the clunky unnecessary call back to series 1 jarred a bit. 7.5/10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The Expanse (Prime)

Didn't like it first time, tried again, but same. Third go and I'm utterly hooked, bingeing it every chance I get.

9/10 Protomolecules.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:57 pm The Expanse (Prime)

Didn't like it first time, tried again, but same. Third go and I'm utterly hooked, bingeing it every chance I get.

9/10 Protomolecules.
I need to finish the books then go back for a full rewatch, definitely the best Sci Fi on TV for a long time.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

9/10 Protomolecules.
I've tried twice...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:58 pm

9/10 Protomolecules.
I've tried twice...
Third time's the charm!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I've quite enjoyed TWD stuff.

I've watched all the the spin offs available in the UK and they all add something to each other 8-)

If anyone knows how to watch amc in the uk to get the Tales of the Walking Dead and the new Dead City i'd appreciate the heads up?
mik

Post by mik »

New Black Mirror series 6 out - have enjoyed the first two (and liking the links between them). 8-)

edit: Now watched E3 also. A bit longer this one, but also good. Really liked the tech concept the story is based around. 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

BEEF on Netflix.

Have only watched the first 2 episodes, but it draws you in very quickly. 8-)

A minor road-rage incident escalated, and becomes the start of an escalating tit-for-tat conflict. Tense and funny.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt14403178/
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

The Bear season 2, if it’s possible, it’s even better than the first season 😲
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Simon_P wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:11 pm The Bear season 2, if it’s possible, it’s even better than the first season 😲
I loved that. Disney site saying it’s out in July though..
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've been going through a phase of watching sitcoms in the background while we're milling around the flat.

Frasier - Obviously seen it all before on C4 mornings but it was nice to watch it all through. It's good

Cheers - Never watched it before, it's a prequel to Frasier ;). Some laughs though, it's good

Spin City - Watched it up until Michael J Fox left, I'm guessing it was his Parkinson's? I enjoyed it up to then but it goes off a cliff when Charlie Sheen came on board. The whole show just feels sleazy without Michael J Fox's inherent wholesomeness. I also didn't realise that the mayor was Barry Bostwick, who played Brad in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's good for 4 seasons

Third Rock From The Sun - Slow start but it get's better as the characters find their feet. Some sketchy episodes but it was disarming as the aliens would be approaching some heavy subjects like racism from a completely innocent angle. It's good

The Brittas Empire - A lot more going on with this show than I remember from when I was a kid. Chris Barrie is a masterclass in smugness throughout. It's good.

The Great North - Animated series from some of the folk behind Bob's Burgers about a family in small town Alaska. I'm loving it. It's rare to find a show written for adults where there's very little conflict and that's nice. It's good.
An absolute unit
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

240PP wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:51 pm
Simon_P wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:11 pm The Bear season 2, if it’s possible, it’s even better than the first season 😲
I loved that. Disney site saying it’s out in July though..
My friends on the internet have helped me out on this one 😉😁
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I do love crap American Cop Shows so was surprised and pleased to see Magnum PI has been picked up by another network for a 5th series. It's still as shallow as a puddle and as thin as a Ciggie paper but I do enjoy it.

Similarly - The Rookie. I'm halfway through series 2.

I do like utter crap TV...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Barry

Post by Barry »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:45 am I do love crap American Cop Shows so was surprised and pleased to see Magnum PI has been picked up by another network for a 5th series. It's still as shallow as a puddle and as thin as a Ciggie paper but I do enjoy it.

Similarly - The Rookie. I'm halfway through series 2.

I do like utter crap TV...
I quite enjoy the new Magnum too, although I've seen they've canned it after S5 😆
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Had nowt to watch last week so put something random on off Netflix. Bloodhounds. Korean crime drama with Yakuza overtones, about 2 young boxers.

Starting ep was great - nicely setup with a decent pace, and then it ramps up hugely in the last 10mins. Havne;t had chance to watch anymore of it yet though!