Decent Recent TV

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I watched the first ep of Blue Lights purely by accident - it was absolute dog shit. Terrible acting and utterly boring plot.
Simon_P

Post by Simon_P »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:34 am I watched the first ep of Blue Lights purely by accident - it was absolute dog shit. Terrible acting and utterly boring plot.
That’s a shame, it appeared to be filmed in a documentary style drama. I’m not sure how the plot was boring from episode one though? It was pretty decent all the way through.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just realised that motorsport.tv has all those old duke video crash compilations. So watching Rally wars, perfect sunday viewing :lol:
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mrs Davis I have absolutely no idea what is going on but it is undeniably entertaining if you can cope with the weirdness and occasional ultraviolence.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The Night Agent (Netflix)
Started out decent and with potential. While it was reasonably entertaining in a no-brain-needed way it quickly descended into tired stereotypical tropes and ridiculousness.

Mandalorian S3 (Disney+)
Much better than S2, felt a bit darker, but very good fun to watch.

Wednesday (Netflix)
Really enjoyed it. Felt like part of the (Addams) family, yet distinctly it's own.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The Diplomat (Netflix)
Not without merit, certainly starts out well, but gets a bit silly/pathetic in the middle, then picks up again. Series two is coming...

Edit: not sure I've seen Keri Russell in anything since her Felicity days.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Once upon a time in Norther Ireland

The story of the troubles, told by those involved. Harrowing and difficult to watch but through the honesty of those involved, it paints a very clear picture of what happened and why. From the start in Derry, through the Shankil Butchers and IRA disappeared, the Maze and the Hunger Strikes.

It’s a brilliant documentary and we’ll worth a watch
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ted Lasso

Series 3 finished yesterday and that's (apparently) the end of it.

OK so this last series lost it's way a little with the sentimentality but there were still many genuine laugh out loud moments. The finale neatly tied up most of the loose ends and was a fitting end to what was a surprisingly good program.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:08 pm Ted Lasso

OK so this last series lost it's way a little with the sentimentality but there were still many genuine laugh out loud moments. The finale neatly tied up most of the loose ends and was a fitting end to what was a surprisingly good program.
I'm going to watch that last episode tonight - I've really enjoyed all three series because it's genuinely an upbeat story which is rare. It's the same reason why I enjoyed Sex Education too (which apparently is coming back for another series in the Autumn :D )
tim

Post by tim »

dinny_g wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:32 pm Once upon a time in Norther Ireland
Where's that showing?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It was BBC Tim - warning though, it’s a really difficult watch
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:38 pm It was BBC Tim - warning though, it’s a really difficult watch
I caught a bit of one episode, without realising it was part of a series. Looks interesting, and it’s definitely a topic I don’t feel I understand well, so will watch. Thanks for the recommendation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0fhvz44
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah definitely do.

I think it’s really telling telling that of all the terrorists on both sides that take part, only 1 seems to show any kind of remorse.

You can forgive the family of victims for holding onto the hatred but the not the terrorist. Let it go
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:53 pm Yeah definitely do.

I think it’s really telling telling that of all the terrorists on both sides that take part, only 1 seems to show any kind of remorse.
I find that kinda shit a bit mind blowing - that people can justify killing others based on their cause. And must have been unbelievably hard for families of those killed (on both sides) to see their killers set free in agreements. Such a mess. Like I say - I need to watch this, but I think I will be frustrated/angry doing so. :?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah it all descends into tit for tat.

The IRA start with the Army as the only target, the UFF/UVF have the IRA as the only target. Then the IRA extend it to the Police and informers, the UVF extend to any Catholic.

One thing that comes out is that it’s always positioned as “Catholic vs Protestant” but it was just as much Dublin vs London.

For two religions, so fundamentally similar to kill each other in such numbers in ‘modern’ times, is staggering.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, I don't understand some of the hate the series is taking. Some of the episodes in this series have been really fun, heartwarming, joyous bits of tv. The whole thing has been entertaining from the start and I think they wrapped it up really well. It will be missed.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:27 am

Yeah, I don't understand some of the hate the series is taking. Some of the episodes in this series have been really fun, heartwarming, joyous bits of tv. The whole thing has been entertaining from the start and I think they wrapped it up really well. It will be missed.
Did you notice the bit with Mae adjusting the Picture of Geronimo at the very end ? Lovely little tribute that... :)

1:30 mark
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Also the last few years of Ted Lasso has turned me from someone who had no idea who Hannah Waddingham was into an utter simp for her, damn she’s gorgeous 🥵
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Is that the big wummin who hosted Eurovision?
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

SHAME....SHAME...