Guitars 'n' shit

Wilspeed

Guitars 'n' shit

Post by Wilspeed »

I seem to remember that some of you were into your guitars, non?

I've picked up the axe again last year after about 20 years and am properly getting into the gear once more. As opposed to my punk rock days of the early nineties, I now have some cash to spend on silly things like an Epiphone 1958 Flying V Amos Korina, proper Fender amps and a fully stacked pedalboard. :twisted:

Speaking of pedals, allow me to recommend a little British outfit called ThorpyFX https://thorpyfx.com/. Adrian Thorpe is an ex-military explosives engineer who turned to guitar pedals and the mofo knows what he's doing. I have his Warthog distortion box and it's flipping brilliant.
Cunt.
dan

Re: Guitars 'n' shit

Post by dan »

Yep I’ve been playing over 20 years, but mostly acoustic. I have a Lakewood D1 and a Martin lx1e. Also have a Yamaha Pacifica which I use probably once a year to play money for nothing on and then pack away again.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I also have a Yamaha Pacifica, which I’ve had for 20 years. One day I plan to learn a 3rd chord.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

First played 20 years ago. Then dropped it. Literally. Cracked the neck and life took over so didn't continue it. Then, off the back of seeing a couple of the guys at work playing live late last year, became interested in it again. The wife bought me an LA strat copy from Gear 4 Music (for Christmas) which I've been playing intensely ever since. So a few weeks ago invested in a Fender Strat Deluxe HSS (from Andertons - lovely chaps) and I've been getting my chords down again plus some riffs from Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc :) Loving it. Also got some pedals from Tone City, nothing too expensive just trying them out really. Following online lessons and loving it :) I'll upload some pics in a bit. Had a jam with a mate last weekend (golf in the morning, guitars in the afternoon; it was a good day) and now fully resolved to sticking with it.

Next purchase is a better amp - just got a G4M starter amp - need a decent combi.

Anybody seen Marty Schwartz's stuff on YouTube? He's good to watch. Also Anderton's TV is interesting/amusing.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

If I ever do learn to play, I’ve promised myself a Les Paul Junior with P90 pickup.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 pm If I ever do learn to play, I’ve promised myself a Les Paul Junior with P90 pickup.
Buy one now before they go bankrupt in the summer (apparently, although if they die completely I'd be shocked).
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:05 pm (golf in the morning, guitars in the afternoon; it was a good day)
Did you even have to use your AK?

I borrowed a couple of guitars off my brother a few years ago but I wasn't very good and it hurt my fingers so that was the end of that.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

240PP wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm
ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:05 pm (golf in the morning, guitars in the afternoon; it was a good day)
Did you even have to use your AK?

I borrowed a couple of guitars off my brother a few years ago but I wasn't very good and it hurt my fingers so that was the end of that.
Hurt the tips (so to speak) or the knuckles?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ShockDiamonds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 pm If I ever do learn to play, I’ve promised myself a Les Paul Junior with P90 pickup.
Buy one now before they go bankrupt in the summer (apparently, although if they die completely I'd be shocked).
I want a 60s one so they’re already pricey.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I've got a few.

The epiphone acoustic I got when I was 16.
The Ibanez gio bass.
A Fret King Elan - a set neck, all mahogany strat type with 3 p30s
The Tokai Love Rock - a Les Paul copy. Mahogany with a lovely flame maple cap. Now I've wrapped the strings over the tailpiece, it's lovely to play.
The Maverick F3 superstrat. Pointy, Floyd, high output pickups and unusually placed knobs.

I use a 1 watt blackstar HT1-R amp and a handful of joyo pedals.

I also use an old line 6 guitarport to plug the guitar into the computer.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 pm I've got a few.

The epiphone acoustic I got when I was 16.
The Ibanez gio bass.
A Fret King Elan - a set neck, all mahogany strat type with 3 p30s
The Tokai Love Rock - a Les Paul copy. Mahogany with a lovely flame maple cap. Now I've wrapped the strings over the tailpiece, it's lovely to play.
The Maverick F3 superstrat. Pointy, Floyd, high output pickups and unusually placed knobs.

I use a 1 watt blackstar HT1-R amp and a handful of joyo pedals.

I also use an old line 6 guitarport to plug the guitar into the computer.
My mate has a Tokai Love Rock. It’s lovely.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

So I did remember correctly, good stuff! 8-)

I second the comment about Anderton's, excellent customer service and good prices. Their Youtube channel, as well as the affiliated That Pedal Show, provide guidance/GAS on a regular basis.

I've never properly learned to play I have to admit, but I don't care. I love making noise and building a rig.

Guitars:
Fender Custom Shop ltd Esquire Full Throttle, a present for my 40th. An outrageous thing.
Fender Professional Jaguar, the one that got me back into it.
Fender Japan Jaguar, my old one from the nineties. Signed by none other than Mr. Thurston Moore.
Epiphone 1958 Amos Korina Flying V, Joe Bonamassa ltd edition thing. Always fancied a V and purchases this on a whim.

Amps:
Fender Vibro King 20th anniversary, an Epic Deal from Anderton's. Handwired, 60W, 3x10 combo of lush loudness. On another level entirely.
Fender Deluxe Reverb. The classic clean Fender amp, lovely.
Vox AC30, battered old thing from 1974. Had it since 1992, still awesome. Needs a little maintenance now though.

Pedals:
loads, it's become a bit of an obsession. :? As a pedalboard I discovered the offerings from Aclam Guitars last year and this changed everything. No need for glue or velcro, but a clever screw on system that really works superbly well. Some of these pedals are expensive and I don't want to fuck them up by sticking shit on them. Very rock'n'roll.

Wanna start a band? JL could be the bass player.
Cunt.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not very good at guitar as I’m a fat handed twat and I’ve broken a few fingers so I have trouble holding chords.

Used to play bass in a couple of bands though.

Between my missus and I we have a Telecaster, an Epiphone Strat, a Fender Strat bass and a Gibson Thunderbird. I can’t remember the last time we used any of them.
An absolute unit
Markcoopers

Post by Markcoopers »

I am more roady for my son than player. But 1 year in he has played his first gig and the band have nearly wrote their first song. He plays a Fender strat HSS
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I played Trombone in a jazz band and got quite good.

My fingers refuse to do what I tell them though with guitar so my idea of being the next Buckethead was stopped in it’s tracks.

Dave!
tim

Post by tim »

I've got a few but my favourite is a dark blue Ibanez electro-acoustic, along with a mexican Strat in a 50s cherry red colour scheme. I'd upload a pic but it's too hard on here.
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

I took up the ukulele before Christmas, but I don’t suppose that counts.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I have a Jackson DK-F2, a Digitech RP-3 Multi-FX unit and a Line 6 Guitar Port (somewhere). Used to gig in a few local bands eons ago. I occasionally pick it up and have a blast but my skills have atrophied and it becomes an exercise in frustration.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
tim

Post by tim »

PreacherCain wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 pm I took up the ukulele before Christmas, but I don’t suppose that counts.
It most certainly does. Ukuleles are awesome!
ste

Post by ste »

I don’t play or have a clue for that matter but all 3 of my kids play guitar. Wife plays guitar and piano too. I’m obviously an idiot because a large drum kit moved into the house last week too. :D