Modern suspension

V8Granite

Modern suspension

Post by V8Granite »

Hi all,

What is good with modern suspension now?

I have tried and failed twice to order a B12 suspension kit for the TT. I want to keep a good ride and expect them to last.

Who still makes good quality parts nowadays?

I want a standard ride height as it’s low as standard.

Bilstein were always the best years ago so a complete kit is preferable. The Bilstein kit was £600 and I don’t really want to spend much more than that.

Dave!
scotta

Re: Modern suspension

Post by scotta »

Nitrons on the Elise are excellent.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Loved my KW V2's on the Alfa, they were incredible...but they should have been for £1300+fitting.

Bilstein, KW, Nitron are all well respected. I know the B12 kit has always been well reviewed in VAG circles as the go-to replacement for standard stuff.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Ohlins, JRZ, quantum, Reiger, Exe-TC proflex if the pockets are deep.

Or billies as you mention, just stuck B8 dampers on the 911.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The problem is the B12 kit will take 6 weeks as there are no front dampers in the country, the car is currently stuck in my garage where it can’t be and I had to butcher the lower spring mounts as they had seized.

Another case of being promised something and then they decide after if they can deliver or not.

Seems like it’s all noticeably more expensive, bastards.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 pm Hi all,

What is good with modern suspension now?

I have tried and failed twice to order a B12 suspension kit for the TT. I want to keep a good ride and expect them to last.

Who still makes good quality parts nowadays?

I want a standard ride height as it’s low as standard.

Bilstein were always the best years ago so a complete kit is preferable. The Bilstein kit was £600 and I don’t really want to spend much more than that.

Dave!
Someone on the e91 thread on PH has been extolling the virtues of Koni Special Active dampers. I wish I'd known about them before i did my refresh in Jan as they sound like a step up but for reasonable ££. Hey ho.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I've got some ST coilovers ready to go on my m3 when I finish welding it.

They're made by kw but are a more road based setup and have galvanised bodies instead of stainless so are a fair bit cheaper.

Looks like a TT st x set is a similar price to b12s. Reviews were all very positive when I chose them a good few months ago.

I'm sure nitrous, ohlins etc are 'better' but I should hope so at 4+ x the price.
Cheers, Harry
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:20 pm The problem is the B12 kit will take 6 weeks as there are no front dampers in the country, the car is currently stuck in my garage where it can’t be and I had to butcher the lower spring mounts as they had seized.

Another case of being promised something and then they decide after if they can deliver or not.

Seems like it’s all noticeably more expensive, bastards.

Dave!
Buy OE?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

B12 kits are the go to kit for Saabs. Not sure if that is much of a recommendation but it tends to be the tuned cars that get hammered and still get good reviews.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 pm I've got some ST coilovers ready to go on my m3 when I finish welding it.

They're made by kw but are a more road based setup and have galvanised bodies instead of stainless so are a fair bit cheaper.

Looks like a TT st x set is a similar price to b12s. Reviews were all very positive when I chose them a good few months ago.

I'm sure nitrous, ohlins etc are 'better' but I should hope so at 4+ x the price.
I just ordered a KONI Sport kit with H+R springs, H+R still seem to have a good name. Those Coilovers seem a good compromise though.

Chris, OE parts are silly prices sadly, lots of OE spec stuff seems to give different ride heights and getting the correct springs is proving a pain for many.

I think I’m still in denial about prices, once new spring cups, top mounts and other parts are included I’m pretty much at a set of coilovers anyway :roll:

It better handle well after this :lol:

Dave!