Peter Stringfellow

Simon

Peter Stringfellow

Post by Simon »

Dead

I hear 'Air on a G-String' will be played at his funeral...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Peter Stringfellow

Post by Ascender »

God rest his smutty soul.

(I thought he was already brown bread so as that was the first thing on the news this morning I was properly confused for a minute).
Cheers,

Mike.
John

Post by John »

RIP, a local lad. He did well to keep his illness a secret but I guess he wasn't in the public eye so much.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

He was my neighbour in Mallorca and, although a bit garish, was actually quite a nice bloke. His wife, as well as being ridiculously fit, was a lovely person aswell. RIP
Cheers,

Ian
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

R.i.p..
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

He'll be partying it up with Hugh Hefner. Last of the not-universally-hated dirty old men?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Leslie Phillips is still alive David... ;)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

That is amazing, he must be at least 100 years old!

But I meant in the era of #MeToo will it ever be acceptable to be perceived as making a (very good) living out of sexy women again?
You couldn't imagine somebody trying to launch the likes of a Playboy club nowadays and I have no idea who the owner of Peppermint Hippo or whatever is, but I doubt he would ever achieve the mainstream acceptability of Peter Stringfellow.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Talking about #MeToo, how does Love Island even exist on TV now? If grid girls (or the corridor of clunge as Porter once called them) are frowned on, how does this show survive?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:57 pm Talking about #MeToo, how does Love Island even exist on TV now? If grid girls (or the corridor of clunge as Porter once called them) are frowned on, how does this show survive?
Because there's men on it too therefore it's equal. It's not hard to work out.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah, I get that. The point is not so much about the content from a viewer's perspective, but rather encouraging that sort of atmosphere for the participants in the first place.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oh boo frickety hoo 😂 reckon they were forced at gunpoint to take part? 😂
GG.

Post by GG. »

The thing is a lot of the criticism of grid girls wasn't solely because there were no men, it was because many saw it as demeaning to women. Love Island is demeaning to women and men both so it doesn't save it on the grounds of equality. Right on progressive causes are hypocritical more often than not though so don't expect consistency, Simon.

Just like the evening standard article recently congratulating the establishment of several new women only members clubs. On Rev's justification that means all male members clubs are now fine, except of course, the people that got wound up about male only clubs of course don't think that. You then have to revert to the victimhood justification of people being allowed to do things that others aren't because they were previously the victims. That stinks more than anything else.

For the record, I'm not anti-love island - I'm anti people getting hot under the collar and prohibitionist about any of this stuff.
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:54 pm Oh boo frickety hoo 😂 reckon they were forced at gunpoint to take part? 😂
Sadly doing it voluntarily doesn't save it from the new wave Mary Whitehouses either. See grid girls.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

GG. wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm The thing is a lot of the criticism of grid girls wasn't solely because there were no men, it was because many saw it as demeaning to women. Love Island is demeaning to women and men both so it doesn't save it on the grounds of equality. Right on progressive causes are hypocritical more often than not though so don't expect consistency, Simon.

Just like the evening standard article recently congratulating the establishment of several new women only members clubs. On Rev's justification that means all male members clubs are now fine, except of course, the people that got wound up about male only clubs of course don't think that. You then have to revert to the victimhood justification of people being allowed to do things that others aren't because they were previously the victims. That stinks more than anything else.

For the record, I'm not anti-love island - I'm anti people getting hot under the collar and prohibitionist about any of this stuff.
In full disclosure, I've had a few cans - but I understand almost none of that. Is life really this complicated now?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Apparently. People doing what they like if it might indirectly hurt someones feelings (but actually doesn't affect them in any way) is now taboo.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

How?
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’m drinking my “thank you” from the company as we speak. I literally saved a flight and 308 passengers last Sunday (by just showing up, but hey, cheers!)
Cheers,

Ian
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Well that's your job mate :)
IanF
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I know. But they sent me, by Royal Mail, a particularly nice bottle of red for helping them out.
Cheers,

Ian