Fao Explosive Newt

dinny_g

Fao Explosive Newt

Post by dinny_g »

Random question but why is it that some medications are capsules containing powder and others are solid pills?

I’m taking both at the moment and was curious.

(Great thing about this forum is that there’s always someone you can ask :) )
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
John

Re: Fao Explosive Newt

Post by John »

Capsules slide up your arse easier.
mik

Post by mik »

It's easier to pop the microchips into capsules on the production line.
GG.

Post by GG. »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:25 pm Random question but why is it that some medications are capsules containing powder and others are solid pills?
I'm not a doctor but I think the ones in capsules are probably resistant to gastic secretions and probably delay their absorbtion over time / target release into the small intestine.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

What he said. It’s all about release mechanisms. That’s why ibuprofen is sugar coated so it protects your stomach and only starts digesting in the intestine
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:42 pm
dinny_g wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:25 pm Random question but why is it that some medications are capsules containing powder and others are solid pills?
I'm not a doctor but I think the ones in capsules are probably resistant to gastic secretions and probably delay their absorbtion over time / target release into the small intestine.
Yup this. Or you can get capsules inside capsules. Interestingly the shape is also important, eg omeprazole is beads inside a capsule rather than powder so it breaks open in the stomach but is then gradually dissolved in there.

A combination of where you want it absorbed (some things placed under the tongue for very rapid absorption) and what you want to protect from it (eg ibuprofen you want to be gradually absorbed in the small intestine rather than burning a hole in your stomach lining).

I deal with immunosuppressants for our transplant patients and keeping their levels in range is tricky - often a bit of detective work ensues and sometimes you find out the patient has decided they would rather break the capsule open and mix it in orange juice - easier to swallow but they get too rapid absorption and peak and trough rather than having a steady state in their bloodstream - doh!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Cheers Newt - and others.

Makes sense
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…