Paper driving licence

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Paper driving licence

Post by Jobbo »

It's a sad day. I've had my paper licence since August 1990 and since my parents haven't moved house (and I have a financial interest in the house), I've been able to justify not changing it. They aren't about to move but my wife pointed out that it would be easier to have a photocard licence when hiring a car abroad. I'm sure she's right, so I've ordered a photocard licence - no cost because it's just for a chance of address, though putting 5yrs 7mths as the time at the new address felt a bit embarrassing :oops:

Anyone else still not switched to a photocard licence? I know my old licence doesn't expire until 2043 so there's a downside that the photocard licence will need renewing in 2033.
integrale_evo

Re: Paper driving licence

Post by integrale_evo »

Still have my 1997 ( one of the last issued I think, some of my 6th form friends got photo cards when they passed ) paper licences
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've kept mine as a reminder of all the endorsements and how I bank rolled the fuzz for a while 😂
scotta

Post by scotta »

Long gone. It had basically turned to dust anyway. Had more sellotape than paper left.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I'm not old enough to have ever had a paper one 😂

My dad had his until he was 70, then he had to send for a replacement one, I think because of the checks they do when you get to that age you have to send it off every year or every other year, I forget now.

He was sad to lose it, ive no idea why, it was a mess, in four pieces and the information on it address wise was wrong, so i don't think it was even legal.

He never had any points (somehow) so it was never an issue!
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I thought we had to get a photo one about twenty years ago, my current one runs out in August or July so will have to update the photo as I cannot pass for a young man anymore! :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Gavin wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:43 am I thought we had to get a photo one about twenty years ago, my current one runs out in August or July so will have to update the photo as I cannot pass for a young man anymore! :D
Yeah I always thought the same but it’s been discussed before on here and while encouraged, you don’t have to.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Still on a paper one here. I take a certain pride in resisting the pressure to swap.

A policeman at the side of the road once told me I would be fined for the licence not showing my "proper" address (I think he meant principle private residence). I have ignored him.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"