Being burgled

Broccers

Being burgled

Post by Broccers »

Reading about Sterling having 300ks of gear nicked by violent crims reminded me I have only had the misfortune of this happening twice.
Amongst other things they pinched my tv remote and left the telly - daily reminder of the door being kicked in.

Oh and of course when they pinched my car when I was living at the parents for a while.

You been done? If they smashed your door in and asked for keys what would you do?
ZedLeg

Re: Being burgled

Post by ZedLeg »

Only been burgled once, games consoles, laptops and that.

If someone broke in while I was there I'd probably try and fight as my fight or flight reflex is heavily skewed towards the former :lol:.
An absolute unit
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

My dad still leaves his house open when he goes out.

He's had a couple of bikes stolen one of which I took back off a couple of teenagers the following day who threatened to tell their dad on me lol

On a separate occasion he lost 4 cans of Carling Black Label and a pound of Bacon which really upset him. Bizarrely they left his car and contactless debit card which indicated teenagers again.

We are pretty lucky as I've never heard of armed burglers here just cheeky kids or druggies.

I'd be happy to rumble with them over the lager but would chuck the keys if they were armed and determined.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Burgled once when I lived in London. Junkies who took the stereo etc and our suitcases to carry it in; they completely missed the big bag of duty-free cigs, even. I was pretty upset at the time, but the door jamb was strengthened, we got replacement stuff and I decided to live in places with less crime.

There are some nice affluent areas round the Midlands where I'd never live because the number of wealthy residents makes them prime targets. I think the fact that virtually everyone in our village is retired is great for security; when we're out, there are plenty of people around who would notice someone unusual.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Twice unfortunately.

First time was while we were in the house and asleep. They came in through a window over the garage, went downstairs, grabbed a few bits and pieces and went out the front window. I guess they saw all the baby stuff around and thought they might be disturbed. They did take a set of keys and I'm 99% certain they came back a month later but we'd changed all the locks and had the car re-coded.

Second time was while we were out at work - cleared us out that time. Took Laptops, Tablets, Cameras, Xbox, TV's and my other half's Jewellery box. The insurance claim was a ball ache (Direct Line - the most indirect insurance company on earth) but the biggest impact was on my son who didn't sleep right on his own for several years after that. He's only really got over it about a year ago.

On both occasions, the Police said we were one of about 10 to 15 houses hit on the same day or night...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Luckily, no. In my current home, the garden backs onto the largest police station for miles.

Which raises the partridge-esque question "Does that mean lots of criminals coming over the wall, or no criminals coming over?"

:lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Did they ever recover your gear? I had various things returned to me from around Sheffield which were in the boot of my car.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Nope - nothing... All car booted no doubt.

The diamond that was stolen has the Assay reference linked to us so on the very off chance someone tries to sell it via legitimate means in future, it might get back to us.

One very minor positive side - a lot of my camera gear was bought via Hong King and so of questionable warranty in Europe. It was all replaced with legit European gear on full warranty with Canon
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Not watched this episode yet, but sounds like a conversation starter :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hertfo ... 892880.amp
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Only happened once, back when I was living in Essex. PS2, work laptop, plus a few other bits including my judo bag which they used to carry their ill-gotten gains away with. Insurance sorted it with minimal fuss. Happened in daylight around 3pm (peak burglary time - mum's out picking up kids from school).
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:57 pm Not watched this episode yet, but sounds like a conversation starter :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hertfo ... 892880.amp
At the risk of sparking another parallel debate, I wouldn't be chasing after anyone or "trying to defend my home". Like a fire drill, we know what to do if we hear anyone downstairs and it's firmly in the barricade ourselves into the main bedroom camp.

They're just after stuff - stuff that can all be replaced.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Delphi wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:59 pm Only happened once, back when I was living in Essex. PS2, work laptop, plus a few other bits including my judo bag which they used to carry their ill-gotten gains away with. Insurance sorted it with minimal fuss. Happened in daylight around 3pm (peak burglary time - mum's out picking up kids from school).
Thanks for the tip. I may take up stealing to see how lucrative it can be - after all the guv rob us every day.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Just the once, when my wife might have left the patio doors unlocked... They took her laptop and the M5. Our house backs on to a field, so it was easy pickings for them - we've since put a bit of a fence on top of the stone dyke way to deter them.

We did have someone trying the front door and car doors looking for easy targets. CCTV caught them and the polis recognised the guy so he was lifted almost immediately.

We do have a couple of much more alert dogs who would bark and go a bit nuts if someone came in to the house at night now, so not sure how that would unfold.
Last edited by Ascender on Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:15 pm
We do have a couple of much more alert dogs who would bark and go a bit nuts if someone came in to the house at night now, so not sure how that would go unfold.
That really is the best guard against them.

Unless they break in and kill your dogs. Its strange to me people flaunting wealth when at the end of the day its just stuff.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:15 pm we've since put a bit of a fence on top of the stone dyke way to deter them.
Stick a trellis on the top. Dumb as that sounds, it’s almost impossible to climb over a trellis without making a significant racket.

Another plod top tip
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

We've inadvertently got a fair number of passive security measures. Our drive is all quite deep gravel so makes a fair noise walking on it, it's also a little awkward to get a car out of without a little back and forth. Then our house and our neighbours either side have all extended over the years so there's no direct access to the rear from the front. Then the back is directly onto woods with some serious stinging nettles to contend with!

I got a ring doorbell too, but it's not seen anything nefarious.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Thankfully, we've never been burgled. Only had my car broken into in London this year.

I agree with Dinny. Stuff is replaceable, just keep family safe and claim on the insurance. That's why the car keys are in the kitchen all the time. We do live in a low crime area though so it's not really an issue.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Not at my home, but a second floor flat in a small building makes us pretty secure.
Stereo nicked out of my Landrover once, but it had a the canvas too on and I wave the doors unlocked as a £50 stereo is far cheaper than having the hood cut.
My parents have been done three times, normally when on holiday, but on one occasion when I was about 20 they smashed a window in the front door at about 2am waking us up and my Dad smacked their hand with a substantial walking stick by the door and they ran off, leaving blood on the glass.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Twice unfortunately.

First time when I was living in Copenhagen. Scrotes broke the window lock and came in through (and then out of) my bedroom window. Happened in broad daylight. In monetary terms they got away with very little, but there was huge sentimental value lost, and the feeling of security in my own home.

Second time was in our first home in London. Scrotes broke the window lock on the living room window and made off with cameras, laptops, PlayStation and some coins. All covered by insurance and luckily they overlooked the really valuable stuff (both monetarily and sentimentally). They did however take our car to drive it all away in. Car was eventually found dumped by the side of the road when the tax on the stolen plates they'd swapped on expired.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Y'all need to man up and be like this bloke, you'll never get burgled.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fNc9SRsuawo

(FWIW the comments are brilliant)