Helicopters

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:06 pm

1. I'd NEVER get in a helicopter
No votes
2. I'd NEVER get in a helicopter *again*
No votes
3. I would 'copter, but only under duress/necessity
10%
4. I would go / have gone in a helicopter, but I am very wary/suspicious of their safety.
14%
5. I would go / have gone in a helicopter, but I am a little wary/suspicious of their safety.
19%
6. I'd happily go / have gone in a helicopter
29%
7. Helicopters are teh shizzle. Let me in.
14%
8. When I get rich I am defo getting a copter and my licence.
5%
9. When I get rich I will have a collection of copters that I will fly about in.
10%
10. Frankly, I prefer an argument. Helicopter related or otherwise.
No votes

Total votes: 21

mik

Choppers

Post by mik »

Speaking to a couple of colleagues, I realised that suspicion of helicopters appears to be a thing, over and above any fear of flying. :?

I've been in a 'copter <5 times, but once was a flying lesson (Robinson R22) which was both epic 8-) and humbling - being asked at the conclusion of the lesson to hold it in a hover at about 20m from terra firma had me :lol: -ing in less than 10 seconds as I clumsily tried to react to the movements of the aircraft due to the wind (or over-corrected initial control inputs I had made) and we got progressively out of shape - the pilot took over as we were pointing (what felt like) about 60 degrees nose-down and in one big control movement brought us dead-level again 8-) :geek: 8-)
Zonda_

Re: Choppers

Post by Zonda_ »

Never been in one but it wouldn’t stop me. If you want a good book, read my mates book Sweating the Metal, he flew Chinooks in Afghanistan. His tales of learning resemble your first lesson.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

They're CAF. Mate of mine spent his redundancy money getting his Heli license and I'm deeply envious.

Future me might go for that brand new rideable quadcopter though. Or flying man jetpack.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

11. I'm a Grifter man myself...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:24 pm 11. I'm a Grifter man myself...
<kicks self for missing this opportunity> :evil:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I've been in one once but was strapped to a back board being fiddled with by a paramedic 😂😂

I do remember it being a very smooth ride and landing 😁
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I'm ok with a few leisure flights but if I were rich enough to use as a semi regular form of transport it would be a no. I'm sure they're probably so safe that statistically you're more likely to die from peeling a carrot but they do seem to kill an awful lot of rich people...
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Even the people who make helicopters aren't all that confident with them

That's why, when you buy one they come with wheels, floats, and skis

So that you have a fighting chance wherever you come down...
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I had a Mk2 Chopper in the period between when they were new and cool and when they were retro and cool.

As for Helicopters, I can also recommend the book Chickenhawks.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DaveE wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:36 pm Even the people who make helicopters aren't all that confident with them

You've been listening to Dave Gunson 😉
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I know three people who’ve crashed one (one fatally) and I know lots more who fly fixed wing, but only 2 people have crashed them.. I’ve flown in a few but only flown a S76 which to me is a proper helicopter as it has lots of safety features to prevent disasters happening. Stay away from Robinson’s or any other single engine death machines!
Cheers,

Ian
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm
DaveE wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:36 pm Even the people who make helicopters aren't all that confident with them

What goes up... 😂

I remember hearing it on a cassette YEARS ago

Think I've got an mp3 somewhere

Some of it hasn't aged well!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I used to transfer from the airport to site in a Huey flown by ex South African defence force pilots, that was awesome as they had side facing seats.

Flew around in a Chinook when in cadets doing Combat Cadet, Chinooks rock.

Lots of helicopters going to oil rigs also.

Aslong as I don’t have to be in a survival suit, helicopters all the way.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm sure some years ago I looked up some statistics on this. Of course relative to most other modes of transport the death rate is incredibly low, but IIRC once you factor in deaths per mile travelled or similar they are pretty bad.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Wouldn't stop me getting in one for teh lolz, but possibly would be more nervous if my family were travelling around in them.
tim

Post by tim »

Angry clothes dryers are fun. Until they're not. I did an autorotation in one, which was far smoother than I thought it would be.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DaveE wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 pm

What goes up... 😂

I remember hearing it on a cassette YEARS ago

Think I've got an mp3 somewhere

Some of it hasn't aged well!
I managed to find it on CD from ebay!
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:37 pm I've been in one once but was strapped to a back board being fiddled with by a paramedic 😂😂

More information / storytelling required here. :geek:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:57 am
McSwede wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:37 pm I've been in one once but was strapped to a back board being fiddled with by a paramedic 😂😂

I was passenger in my cousin's new kit car (Caterham type) and we had a massive whoopsie. We spun across the road at a fair old speed, hit the concrete end of an Armco barrier and the car flipped end over end. Somehow on impact I hit the harness release and exited the car like Superman, went through a massive hawthorn bush and landed in a ditch, the car then landed on top of me. I can vaguely remember being under it and hearing/feeling people lift it off me. Next thing I remember was being in the air ambulance with suspected broken back/neck.

Luckily I only had scrapes and bruises and a few big thorns stuck in my head and body. Cousin stayed in the car but shattered a vertibrae on landing and was paralysed 🙁. I can remember being laid in the crash room at the hospital when they brought him in and hearing him talking about loss of feeling/sensation from the chest down.

I didn't know my name or where I'd been or any phone numbers so it was a few hours before our families knew where we were or what happened to us.
mik

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:04 pm
mik wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:57 am

I was passenger in my cousin's new kit car (Caterham type) and we had a massive whoopsie. We spun across the road at a fair old speed, hit the concrete end of an Armco barrier and the car flipped end over end. Somehow on impact I hit the harness release and exited the car like Superman, went through a massive hawthorn bush and landed in a ditch, the car then landed on top of me. I can vaguely remember being under it and hearing/feeling people lift it off me. Next thing I remember was being in the air ambulance with suspected broken back/neck.

Luckily I only had scrapes and bruises and a few big thorns stuck in my head and body. Cousin stayed in the car but shattered a vertibrae on landing and was paralysed 🙁. I can remember being laid in the crash room at the hospital when they brought him in and hearing him talking about loss of feeling/sensation from the chest down.

I didn't know my name or where I'd been or any phone numbers so it was a few hours before our families knew where we were or what happened to us.
Wow :shock:

Did your cousin recover, or permanent paralysis? :?