Total votes: 23

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Where would you live?

Post by IanF »

Mallorca (again) with Golden passport privileges..
Cheers,

Ian
Zonda_

Re: Where would you live?

Post by Zonda_ »

I love my town but in the current climate I hate my country and feel embarrassed when I'm talking to people from other countries.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Money no object I’d build myself a house on a coastal cliff top in north west Scotland
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:42 pm Money no object I’d build myself a house on a coastal cliff top in north west Scotland
Do you have a fetish for having tiles ripped off your roof?

Location broadly unimportant, within the UK. Some village or maybe a biggish detached place just outside a village, close enough to walk to the local shop.

And for useful things, within a half hour drive of a decent sized town for, you know, just general stuff like having access to a physical bank, and going to a pub that isn't the local.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:56 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:42 pm Money no object I’d build myself a house on a coastal cliff top in north west Scotland
If I was building a house it wouldn’t have a tiled roof :lol:
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ooh, flat roof - like a rough pub. I like it!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Alaska - cabin out in the wild. Subsistence living. Hunting Bear, Deer and Moose. Fishing for Halibut and Salmon. Poly tunnel for summer veg I’d can and preserve in my root cellar.

Miles and miles from the next human being. Completely on my own

Perfection
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:12 pm Ooh, flat roof - like a rough pub. I like it!
Think brutalist concrete bunker covered in grass. A guy already stole my idea and it was on grand designs but I’d do it better.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:34 pm Alaska - cabin out in the wild. Subsistence living. Hunting Bear, Deer and Moose. Fishing for Halibut and Salmon. Poly tunnel for summer veg I’d can and preserve in my root cellar.

Miles and miles from the next human being. Completely on my own

Perfection
That just sounds like too much effort. Like I want wilderness but I also want good broadband and to never be more than a few hours away from decent restaurants :lol:
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:05 am
Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:12 pm Ooh, flat roof - like a rough pub. I like it!
Think brutalist concrete bunker covered in grass. A guy already stole my idea and it was on grand designs but I’d do it better.
Well, I mean, you'd not do it on Grand Designs so that means you would be a better person, for a start.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I love to France as a place to holiday, not sure I'd want to live there permanently. But I'd go back to live in Denmark or Sweden.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Realism: It’s no good for commuting so I’m considering Shropshire instead, but I’ve discovered that Herefordshire is rather lovely. Maybe Woolhope, Weobley or Hoarwithy.

If this country continues to be mismanaged by a self-serving government, I’d happily live in Edinburgh or plenty of other parts of Scotland. Or abroad; I love France and I’ve only briefly been to Germany but I think I’d like it there. There are parts of Ireland and the US I’d be happy with too. I’m sure there are far more round the world I’ve simply not visited yet.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Beany wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:56 pm

Location broadly unimportant, within the UK. Some village or maybe a biggish detached place just outside a village, close enough to walk to the local shop.

And for useful things, within a half hour drive of a decent sized town for, you know, just general stuff like having access to a physical bank, and going to a pub that isn't the local.
Beany, we live somewhere that broadly fits your description except that there is no shop within walking distance (Amazon solves that) and the pub is just over a mile’s walk up an unlit country lane with no pavement. But it’s only a 10 min drive into a nice town with decent food, nightlife and shows. That’s an adequate compromise. The thing is, we are still the youngest people in the village and no house has been sold here since 2018. So there’s very much an ageing population; I suspect only 4-5 households here out of about 30 actually work, the rest being retired.

ETA: we’re the second youngest - forgot the chap who moved in just before us in 2017.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Nice detached house with plenty of garage space in a village with a decent pub by the coast in Cornwall would fit the bill.

Where we live now actually ticks quite a few boxes though, could do with another bedroom and a double garage, but apart from that it's pretty good.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rural Wales so the wife can run a tea shop and I can have all the animals.

Dave!
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

If you had the cash why would you restrict yourself to one place?
I can’t imagine my main place be anywhere other than Centra London, but need somewhere for 2-3 months a year in Spain, the same in Cornwall and a small pad in Paris.

I’ve got a customer who does 3 months in Verbier, 3 in Australia, 3 in Manhattan, 3 in London. He seems very happy.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Jimexpl wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:10 am If you had the cash why would you restrict yourself to one place?
I can’t imagine my main place be anywhere other than Centra London, but need somewhere for 2-3 months a year in Spain, the same in Cornwall and a small pad in Paris.

I’ve got a customer who does 3 months in Verbier, 3 in Australia, 3 in Manhattan, 3 in London. He seems very happy.
NYC is the only other place that spent some time in, where I would be happy to move there.

For now, London is great and would move more central if my budget allowed.

Give me another 5-10 years and it will probably be a hideaway in the country by a stream or lake.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:05 am
I think I saw that one, I liked it too. My favourite house as a kid was at Hopeman beach along the coast from Lossie and Burghead, sort of on the side of the cliff and big windows. Looks old hat now with all the hug window sided houses but the only thing I would change about my village is I would move it to the coast!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

There's loads of places I like to live if I had loads more money than I have, but in reality, without loads more money to change my lifestyle, would anywhere actually be any better than where I live?

In make believe world, I'd like to live in Whistler and have loads of money and free time.
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

You'd have to push me pretty hard to want to live anywhere else than where I am currently - through blind fucking luck more than anything, we're on the inland estuary overlooking the sea in NZ's biggest city with a dozen beaches within minutes of here and a small one about 10m from the house.

But...

If I had to choose anywhere else - I'd go North in NZ to more sun and less people and try keep a small flat in the city. Overseas it would be somewhere in Japan.

Notable after that is Scotland and somewhere warm in mainland Europe with easy access to mountains and tracks and scenery.