SORNing your cars

Gwaredd

SORNing your cars

Post by Gwaredd »

Just wondering if anyone else has done this? With 3 cars and zero income coming in, I've just SORNed the 2 works vehicles & left the Alhaghmbra on the road. I know it'll only save £40-odd a month, but that could be a big difference by the end of all this.

We're also going through our non essential direct debits & cancelling those. Makes it feel a bit more real.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Marv

Re: SORNing your cars

Post by Marv »

Just SORN'd the 968 this morning.

M3 will be SORN'd at the end of April.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I was thinking about doing the Evora, but I probably won't bother TBH. It's only £25/month and the opportunity to still take it out occasionally....
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Nope, partner is a health care worker and visits people's homes, need to keep it as a spare. She's going to someone who's confirmed with the virus tomorrow...
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I wondered about this but it's nice to keep them ticking over and using either one to pop to the shops if needed or take provisions to parents. Rally car insurance is due for renewal in a couple of weeks, was wondering whether to bother for now but again I could use it to nip to Tesco.
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

No off street parking so not really an option for me, but a colleague has SORNed his car (which is the family second car, he uses it to commute to work) and put it up for sale - it's currently not really needed, and cash is more useful than a second car to him.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Everyone thinking along the same lines this morning. Just did my car, Mrs' will be for shopping. The insurance company is too busy to get through to though, do people generally expect a premium discount for a SORN'd car?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Obviously not the car you need. Just the ones we don't - and most of us on here have them!

It's easily re-taxed should you suddenly decide you do need it. I just thought it was unnecessarily wasted money.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not planning to SORN right now but if we're still in this mess when the renewal comes up in June - multi car policy so quite chunky - I'll think about taking some off the road.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

RobYob wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:34 am Everyone thinking along the same lines this morning. Just did my car, Mrs' will be for shopping. The insurance company is too busy to get through to though, do people generally expect a premium discount for a SORN'd car?
I was offered a 12 month policy for £50 last week.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Elise is still SORN has been since october. Its still up in the air just now as im finishing off a few things and decided to look at a few more things
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 am
RobYob wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:34 am Everyone thinking along the same lines this morning. Just did my car, Mrs' will be for shopping. The insurance company is too busy to get through to though, do people generally expect a premium discount for a SORN'd car?
I was offered a 12 month policy for £50 last week.
Excellent, hopefully Admiral will start getting back to their phones sometime this week.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 am No off street parking so not really an option for me
Similar, and I don't know how things could be changed without ANPR cars pinging continuously at parked cars, yet still working to nab ones being driven.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Did it for the Stepwgn, it’s our bikes/tip/camping car and won’t be doing any of that for a while.

eGolf is zero tax anyway and is fine for shopping.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think I’ll skip just skip servicing this year. Not like they’re being driven much. Will make my parents drive them to the supermarket as I don’t just want them sitting as that’s when they tend to go wrong.
How about not having a sig at all?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Thought about this with the boxster which is now parked up. However if its not used the brakes will rust and need replacing plus other unseen gremlins.

So potential 250 quid saving v 1000s. Hmm
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

The cost of road tax is one reason why I probably won't bother with the new GTS 4.0. The new system seems to take the piss if you ask me, and there's not much wrong with the one I've got apart from a few stone chips.

In other motoring expenses, I renewed my insurance today. (£550 for comp, protected NCB and 8000 miles a year). It's been around this price for years now, though the insurance companies will probably gain this year as most of us will do fewer miles. I'm currently taking it out once a week on a 'supermarket run'. ;)
GG.

Post by GG. »

I would SORN the Smart given it won't be used given school is closed but it is 0 banded for VED...

I could SORN the 911 and use the Smart but, well, just no. :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:34 pm In other motoring expenses, I renewed my insurance today. (£550 for comp, protected NCB and 8000 miles a year). It's been around this price for years now, though the insurance companies will probably gain this year as most of us will do fewer miles. I'm currently taking it out once a week on a 'supermarket run'. ;)
Yes had this with my motorbike yesterday - 200 quid to insure it to not ride it anywhere - 3rd party f and t was only 30 quid less. Dont think wearing full leathers to the supermarket will wash :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Broccers wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:21 pm Thought about this with the boxster which is now parked up. However if its not used the brakes will rust and need replacing plus other unseen gremlins.

So potential 250 quid saving v 1000s. Hmm
Same with mine. I’ve moved in with the GF and the Boxster is laid up at home. Think I’ll nip back every few weeks to give it a run. I’ve regularly left it for three weeks and it’s started and driven without issue..