BBQs

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: BBQs

Post by Jobbo »

Was very tempted by this: https://www.alton-gardencentre.co.uk/we ... e-61086174

But couldn't really justify the cost so I've ordered this: https://www.chessingtongardencentre.co. ... 87871.html

Cheapest I could find a Weber Genesis 2, on a par with the end of season prices when I was looking previously (I missed out on the £600 or less deals which briefly existed, and RRP has gone up a lot since then anyway). It seems garden centres don't generally appear on price comparison sites so it took some trawling to find this deal :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Nice!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Crikey, a car, a business and a BBQ. Have you won the lottery or something?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

No, I just trademarked the word “Coronavirus”.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Nice work Jobbo, enjoy! Next you'll be trying to justify to yourself why you need an igrill3. :)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm
JonMad wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:06 pm
Mito Man wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:32 pm

Its fresh sawn wood which if exposed to damp will grow mould very quickly (very common with stacked firewood). Oil just prevents it getting nasty and unlike a varnish or sealant it’s still breathable so the wood can dry. I mix a bit of preservative with it for insect resistance too.
Ah, is that doing basically the same as https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-wood-pr ... 5ltr/47030 which I was looking at yesterday for our outside table and chairs?
Yep exactly the stuff I use.
Good recommend guys, I've been trying to find the right product for some external wood and this looks perfect. We use Sika a lot at work, good company.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:14 pm 8-) Nice work Jobbo, enjoy! Next you'll be trying to justify to yourself why you need an igrill3. :)
Already anticipating that 😄 And the rotisserie...
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:50 pm
duncs500 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:14 pm 8-) Nice work Jobbo, enjoy! Next you'll be trying to justify to yourself why you need an igrill3. :)
Already anticipating that 😄 And the rotisserie...
Get a Meater and then you can use it with the rotisserie.. ;)

Both excellent bits of kit.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Simon

Post by Simon »

McSwede wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:43 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm So for a BBQ novice, if you want the convenience of gas (to heat up the coals) but like the taste of 'regular' BBQs where you actually cook with coals rather than gas, what are your options?
If you buy restaurant quality charcoal and a charcoal chimney it's ready to go in minutes. With a decent Weber BBQ you can shut the vents and extinguish it quite quickly meaning you don't use too much either.
So I have a charcoal chimney, and have used Weber charcoal before now, but I feel guilty about the smoke it makes getting hot whilst the neighbours have their windows open. Which charcoal should I be using?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:31 am
Simon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm So for a BBQ novice, if you want the convenience of gas (to heat up the coals) but like the taste of 'regular' BBQs where you actually cook with coals rather than gas, what are your options?
If you buy restaurant quality charcoal and a charcoal chimney it's ready to go in minutes. With a decent Weber BBQ you can shut the vents and extinguish it quite quickly meaning you don't use too much either.
So I have a charcoal chimney, and have used Weber charcoal before now, but I feel guilty about the smoke it makes getting hot whilst the neighbours have their windows open. Which charcoal should I be using?

I bought the charcoal below and it's brilliant. There is next to no smoke, it lights really quick and extinguishes quickly. Superb stuff.

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I'd also like some decent charcoal recommendations. Gonna need a more specific link than that though :)
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JonMad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:31 am I'd also like some decent charcoal recommendations. Gonna need a more specific link than that though :)
Lol. I'll try again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tigerbox%C2%AE ... hip_o0_img
Simon

Post by Simon »

Currently unavailable :(
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

McSwede wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:51 am
JonMad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:31 am I'd also like some decent charcoal recommendations. Gonna need a more specific link than that though :)
Lol. I'll try again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tigerbox%C2%AE ... hip_o0_img
awesome, thanks. Added to my Wish List so I can get some when it's next available.
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

As a fallback you can't go wrong with Weber charcoal tbh. I'm annoyed I missed our local smokehouse's stock of loaclly produced charcoal the other week.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I swear by “Chargriller Premium Lump wood Charcoal’

Only found it in Homebase so tend to stock up when I see it. They’re very large pieces - 4” across chunks, branch pieces etc.

For your burgers and chicken etc, I break a few big pieces into smaller bits but for roasting, leave the chunks whole for a longer burn etc
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just eBay for restaurant grade charcoal
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:31 am
You're the Bisto kid 😎

I tell either side I'm cooking in garden if they have washing out but never had an issue with it. Do the neighbours have a problem with a bit of smoke, I find newspaper in the chimney smokes more than the Weber briquettes but only for a few minutes?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 am As a fallback you can't go wrong with Weber charcoal tbh.
I quite agree, but it's bloody expensive though isn't it?
Jackleg

Post by Jackleg »

Find your local charcoal maker here http://devoncharcoal.co.uk/makers/(it covers most (all?) areas of the UK). I've found that the local stuff is great quality and cheaper than Weber stuff too.
If you're in Devon/Cornwall Beau Dobson of Liz's logs makes great charcoal.