New banger.

Nic

Re: New banger.

Post by Nic »

EP3 Type R was the same iirc, only had two rear seatbelts.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Probably only type approved for 4 people. Insurance issues if you add a fifth in that case.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:35 pm Probably only type approved for 4 people. Insurance issues if you add a fifth in that case.
I’d be surprised if that were the case when the standard model had 5 belts, but even so it’s more hassle than it’s worth.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Depends what it says on the v5.

You probably could add a 5th belt then send the v5 off to be changed and as long as it's safe at Mot time it would be fine.

Surprising how many smaller cars are four seater only now, I bet a lot of people don't realise when they buy them. You kind of expect it on tiny things but not on fiesta size stuff and above.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Some of the Focus ST's were only officially 4 seaters I think, depending on what rear bench you specified...

Parkers has it as a 4 seater (and a regular Civic as 5, for comparison - I just checked).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm
Simon wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:35 pm Probably only type approved for 4 people. Insurance issues if you add a fifth in that case.
I’d be surprised if that were the case when the standard model had 5 belts, but even so it’s more hassle than it’s worth.
That’s basically it, I did some checking and others have asked before. Bummer really. Only type r that’s type approved for 5 is the accord and that was a bit long in the tooth for a daily driver.

Carl
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Looks great. 8-)

IIRC the motoring press didn’t like them very much (apart from Fifth Gear / VBH) did they? I have not driven a Type R, only the Si which I thought the ride was too harsh. The couple Type R owners that I met on track day seemed to like them though as a all-rounder.

Stupid only four seats though.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

It looks great in black - they’ve actually aged better than I expected. When I drove a type S I couldn’t get on with the bizarre daahboard layout and total lack of rear visibility due to a big spoiler across the rear glass. 4 seats is rarely an issue though, my EP3 was the same.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Hope you enjoy it better than i did mine, I leased one and and passed it onto a friend about 2 months in, the ride was ridiculously hard, everything good about the EP3 had been lost imo, was incredibly roomy though!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I have to accept I’m a bit odd having 3 kids, hey ho just makes things a bit more interesting. Scooby is fine and truth be told my eldest rarely comes out with us as a family any more now so I could probably just use the truck for those occasions.

Carl
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:43 am I have to accept I’m a bit odd having 3 kids,
Same here. I had to punt on the e46 because I couldn't fit the 3 kiddie seats in the back. Now only one of them is in a booster, they can fit in the back of the Mini but I wouldn't subject them to that for too long. They fact that the two oldest are built like racing snakes helps.

Fitting 3 people in the back of something interesting is getting harder. The 4 litre M3 is a two seater. The Jag XE has a transmission tunnel so bit that only Oscar Pastorius could fit.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Foz wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 am Hope you enjoy it better than i did mine, I leased one and and passed it onto a friend about 2 months in, the ride was ridiculously hard, everything good about the EP3 had been lost imo, was incredibly roomy though!
I'm enjoying the almost telepathic steering and its total refusal to understeer. The ride is incredibly stiff as has been said but I assume that's the sacrifice for the aforementioned good points. As for it being a 4 seater, it is odd that they could have just made the bench flat but then again my 4 series was a strict 4 seater.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 amThe 4 litre M3 is a two seater.
yeah, but those two people get a swanky place to store their nic-nacs. 8-)

Barry

Post by Barry »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 am Looks great. 8-)

IIRC the motoring press didn’t like them very much (apart from Fifth Gear / VBH) did they? I have not driven a Type R, only the Si which I thought the ride was too harsh. The couple Type R owners that I met on track day seemed to like them though as a all-rounder.

Stupid only four seats though.
I've not offered mine as I figured you wouldn't be that interested lol. Welcome to try it of course!

EP3 is a firm ride but reasonably well damped IMO, only gets crashy on really harsh, rapid bumps like damaged roads. Stiff chassis though, very nice on smooth roads.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:37 am
You mean to smash crisps, froot loopers and various other foodsuffs into?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I like to collect McDonald’s sauces in my various cubbies :oops:
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:37 am
what I do in my own back seats is my business jimmy.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 am
drcarlos wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:43 am I have to accept I’m a bit odd having 3 kids,
Same here. I had to punt on the e46 because I couldn't fit the 3 kiddie seats in the back. Now only one of them is in a booster, they can fit in the back of the Mini but I wouldn't subject them to that for too long. They fact that the two oldest are built like racing snakes helps.

Fitting 3 people in the back of something interesting is getting harder. The 4 litre M3 is a two seater. The Jag XE has a transmission tunnel so bit that only Oscar Pastorius could fit.
Zafira VXR it is, then!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:16 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:37 am yeah, but those two people get a swanky place to store their nic-nacs. 8-)
what I do in my own back seats is my business jimmy.
Not in the dogging car park it isn't.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 am

Zafira VXR it is, then!
I got a Saab. That's as close as I'll get to owning a Vauxhall.
Banal Vapid Platitudes