Seatbelts on planes

Airline seatbelts

1. Belt won't save me in a crash and it's annoying. Keep it off as much as possible, and reluctantly follow instructions to buckle up, not really pulling it tight.
No votes
2. Keep it off as much as possible, but follow instructions to buckle up, and pull it reasonably tight.
13%
3. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, but fairly loosely for teh comforts.
17%
4. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, and sometimes pull it tighter for takeoff/landing/turbulence
20%
5. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, and always pull it tighter for takeoff/landing/turbulence
47%
6. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, always pulled so tight that I can no longer feel my legs.
3%
7. I refuse to fly.
No votes
8. I just like to wash and go.
No votes
9. I like big butts an I can not lie
No votes
10. Yo mamma's so fat (etc)
No votes

Total votes: 30

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: Seatbelts on planes

Post by IanF »

The troposphere is from ground level to the tropopause, which is the boundary with the stratosphere. It typically happens at a certain temp and temp decreases by 2 degrees per 1000ft in the troposphere so that’s why it’s higher in warmer climes. Weather in the stratosphere is smoother though.

The ITCZ is a much more important meteorological phenomenon when it comes to “bad” weather and is a lot more dynamic.
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

IanF wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:05 pm I always have my seatbelt on, even when in a flat bed (on an aircraft).. also, taxying on the ground; if we’ve thrown the anchors out on landing, the breaks can get quite grabby so I’d recommend waiting for the seatbelt signs are turned off, especially in the US as the vehicles on the apron are uncontrolled and quite frequently cut up aircraft!
If only we had someone who knows about this stuff. :D
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm one of the people who takes it off as soon as they can :lol:

I've never really thought about it tbh, to me it'd be a bit like wearing a seatbelt on a ferry.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

They're there for a reason. I wear it until the seatbelt sign is off and we're stationary on the ground.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

What I've always wondered is how do the captains know when to instruct you to put the seatbelt on? Can you see it approaching? Is it data driven, or do you get a heads up from Fred 100km in front of you that their crew just lost their lunch?

In my head I like to imagine that you're reading it all ahead like you read the road, but I figure half the time it's pitch black and it's not like headlights would help. Either that or you're up above the clouds so what are you reading that isn't just invisible?

Wellington airport here in NZ is pretty lively regularly around takeoff and landing, I have had one take off where it was obvious who had fastened their belts tightly and who hadn't just by watching their heads smash the overhead lockers.
Barry

Post by Barry »

JonMad wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:12 pm It's be a bugger if you were one who kept your belt on all the time but the turbulence hit when you were taking a crap.
Killed by turdulence.
mik

Post by mik »

KiwiDave wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:44 am What I've always wondered is how do the captains know when to instruct you to put the seatbelt on? Can you see it approaching? Is it data driven, or do you get a heads up from Fred 100km in front of you that their crew just lost their lunch?
Pilots receive live data feeds from Global Weather Control who let them know where turbulent air has been generated. They need to be constantly connected to GWC anyway in order to ensure accurate activation/deactivation of their chemtrails.
mik

Post by mik »

Barry wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:18 am
JonMad wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:12 pm It's be a bugger if you were one who kept your belt on all the time but the turbulence hit when you were taking a crap.
Killed by turdulence.
That would be a shitshow.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

mik wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:01 am
KiwiDave wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:44 am What I've always wondered is how do the captains know when to instruct you to put the seatbelt on? Can you see it approaching? Is it data driven, or do you get a heads up from Fred 100km in front of you that their crew just lost their lunch?
Pilots receive live data feeds from Global Weather Control who let them know where turbulent air has been generated. They need to be constantly connected to GWC anyway in order to ensure accurate activation/deactivation of their chemtrails.
They also have a chat channel to talk with other pilots in their Corridor, according to the Captain they had on Brekkie TV yesterday morning
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I would certainly be hacked off if some "they cannot make me wear a seat belt, I know my rights" type flew around the cabin and took me out!

I must admit I keep my belt on, I tighten it for landing and take off, then loosen for flight.

I have hit turbulence and the plan dropped for what seemed a while, but was probably a second or so, but it had half the plane screaming and it was scary and we went through an on/off patch for a few minutes before it settled, I had my daughter with me and she was whooping and laughing and shouting "Like a rollercoaster Daddy". That was a Galsgow to London flight, I think in a 737 or the Airbus equivelant.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'm the same - tight for take-off and landing, loosely fastened for the rest.

I've had come pretty horrific Turbulence over the years - Regularly flying into Des Moines in Iowa in a 40 seat plane during Tornado season. Flying to South Africa was also pretty bad when the Desert bit at the top hit the Jungle bit lower down.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I may be missing the point but surely a loose lap belt is as likely to cause injury as not being strapped in?

That was what I always heard about lap belts in cars anyway. You don’t want there to be any space that may leave you coming off your seat and being caught by the belt.
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

In a car it’s more the forward and back motion you need to stop.

In a plane it’s the down.

Aslong as it traps your legs even a little bit it would help a lot.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I think if the gforce is great enough to really hurt you from a loose belt then you’ve got far bigger problems on an airplane 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

You could say the same if you’re falling fast enough to hit the ceiling :lol:
An absolute unit