Seatbelts on planes

Airline seatbelts

1. Belt won't save me in a crash and it's annoying. Keep it off as much as possible, and reluctantly follow instructions to buckle up, not really pulling it tight.
No votes
2. Keep it off as much as possible, but follow instructions to buckle up, and pull it reasonably tight.
13%
3. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, but fairly loosely for teh comforts.
17%
4. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, and sometimes pull it tighter for takeoff/landing/turbulence
20%
5. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, and always pull it tighter for takeoff/landing/turbulence
47%
6. I keep the belt on throughout the flight, always pulled so tight that I can no longer feel my legs.
3%
7. I refuse to fly.
No votes
8. I just like to wash and go.
No votes
9. I like big butts an I can not lie
No votes
10. Yo mamma's so fat (etc)
No votes

Total votes: 30

mik

Seatbelts on planes

Post by mik »

Prompted by the 777 turbulence issue.

Not really any of my business, but I'm always quite fascinated at how (relatively) lax many other airline passengers are with their belts, unbuckling as soon as given permission to do so, rebuckling only when instructed by the cabin crew, and when fastened - only loosely.

I'm a belt pretty tight for take-off, on throughout the flight regardless of the lights unless I need to use the facilities, and pull it tight on final approach and during turbulence kinda dude. Not that I'm paranoid, but if there is....hang on... there was a noise outside that I need to go and check out...
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Seatbelts on planes

Post by Jobbo »

I do tend to unbuckle when we are on the ground taxiing, but I keep it done up all flight. Just slackened off a bit while eating or sleeping.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:05 pm I do tend to unbuckle when we are on the ground taxiing, but I keep it done up all flight. Just slackened off a bit while eating or sleeping.
Same... just common sense right? And make sure its above clothing/blanket so I don't get bothered and the cabin crew can see its on. Simples.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I don’t fly that often but have always kept it on, just loosened a couple of fingers worth most of the time but pulled tighter when it gets a bit bumpy or the warning lights come on.

Just seems like common sense 🤷🏻‍♂️
Cheers, Harry
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Used to fly a lot for work and major turbulence was quite uncommon (if things are obviously bad it gets flown around unless there's no option) in several hundred flights I've only experienced it twice (once mid atlantic and once on a decent into Douglas on the IoM in heavy weather) the rest has been quite light and just a few bumps.
Also never experienced a go around (although my friend has) either but I'm told they are not uncommon at LHR due to confused pilots blocking the runway when they can't figure out exits.
If the captain turns on the seatbelt signs (they generally know ahead of time if there is some chop) wear it otherwise I can take or leave it.
Just another reason for the media to kick off IMO and try and impose another bunch of rules where they are not really needed as sometimes shit just happens, I guess they are just bored and need a 'current thing'.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, person dies from heart attack. But wat about the seatbeltz 🙄
How about not having a sig at all?
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:36 pm Yep, person dies from heart attack. But wat about the seatbeltz 🙄
Was that the cause of death? I didn't know, when it fills my youtube news recommendations I usually ignore the story.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Several other nasty injuries from people and things getting thrown around.

I don’t take my seatbelt off in the car when there’s no other traffic around and put it back on when a crash is more likely.

I don’t think they should force you to always wear one, but it seems like common sense to still have it round you if you’re just sitting there not going anywhere.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:36 pm Yep, person dies from heart attack. But wat about the seatbeltz 🙄
You know that there are 104 injured, 58 of those are in hospital, and 20 of those in intensive care, right? Most of them with injuries resulting from being throw into - and in some cases literally inside of - the overhead lockers/storage/ducting, by turbulence.

You do know that, right?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m currently on a plane flying to Singapore :lol:

It is smooth like butter.

I always keep my belt on till I’m at the gate, the only time I got hurt on a plane was while taxiing and the pilot had to give a swift stab of the brakes for something, I slapped the screen with my cheek.

The crew have enough to do without needing to tell people to pop their seatbelt on.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:57 pm
You know that there are 104 injured, 58 of those are in hospital, and 20 of those in intensive care, right? Most of them with injuries resulting from being throw into - and in some cases literally inside of - the overhead lockers/storage/ducting, by turbulence.

You do know that, right?
Yep but that’s what the focus is on. Man killed from turbulence.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

The rules are probably quite appropriate for the risk, from business insider: According to data from the Federal Aviation Administration, just 163 people were seriously injured by turbulence between 2009 and 2022 — an average of less than 12 people a year.

The majority, 129, were crew members. In 2022, only four passengers were seriously injured by turbulence.

So if you feel that you want to wear a belt crack on, but there is a low risk if you forget or don't.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Seatbelt on or off depending on what the sign tells me. Might review that.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I keep the belt on but loose all the time - I've never felt the need to crank it tight.
scotta

Post by scotta »

I keep it on loose enough to be comfortable. Have been on a transatlantic flight that hit sudden turbulence. Plane just dropped suddenly without warning for a second or so. 747 at that point so not just a puddle jumper.

Ive also experienced a go-around into London City. Fairly undramatic. We were landing and then we weren't. pilot announced "We were seeing a bit of a cross wind there so just vectoring round for another approach" landed on the go around attempt without issue. I suspect the margin for error is a bit smaller at london city.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:05 pm I do tend to unbuckle when we are on the ground taxiing, but I keep it done up all flight. Just slackened off a bit while eating or sleeping.
Same... just common sense right? And make sure its above clothing/blanket so I don't get bothered and the cabin crew can see its on. Simples.
Almost the same, but I do keep it on while taxiing as the sign is on. It's teh rulez.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I keep it on al the way through the flight, I don't normally slacken it off at all but I also don't have it really tight.

The only time I've taken it off whilst flying is in the bed/pod type seats in first/business if I'm on a particularly long flight and want to actually go to sleep.

I've never been woken up to put it on either so I guess I've been lucky with smooth flights.

I have had some bad turbulence over America when going from the UK to Atlanta, and from ATL-DFW I've had it bad quite regularly for some reason.

Never really had it bad anywhere else weirdly.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve only experienced severe turbulence once in 25 years. Severe is when you can’t even read any of the displays, cabin interior panels open, people end up stuck to the floor or ceiling. Most people never experience anything above moderate as we plan to avoid severe, but don’t mind a few bumps.

I always have my seatbelt on, even when in a flat bed (on an aircraft).. also, taxying on the ground; if we’ve thrown the anchors out on landing, the breaks can get quite grabby so I’d recommend waiting for the seatbelt signs are turned off, especially in the US as the vehicles on the apron are uncontrolled and quite frequently cut up aircraft!
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The altitude of the troposphere varies a significant amount. Close to the equator it’s very high and planes can’t climb high enough to avoid the worst of the turbulence.
Europe and America are pretty ideal in terms of low turbulence as the planes can get above the weather.
This graphic of the tropopause explains it a million times better
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

It's be a bugger if you were one who kept your belt on all the time but the turbulence hit when you were taking a crap.
Left over crest; tightens.