Le Mans

Zonda_

Le Mans

Post by Zonda_ »

Looking forward to this, good to see Ginetta competing in LMP1. Hadn’t realised Alonso was driving again.
Mito Man

Re: Le Mans

Post by Mito Man »

I thought the LMP1 category was on equal footing but watching qualifying yesterday it’s anything but. It’s Toyotas race to lose as the non-hybrid LMP1 cars have so many restrictions which makes no sense as you would expect them to be slower anyway.

They have odd rules such as having to lap slower than the hybrids otherwise getting a penalty and having to have a longer minimum pit stop time despite running shorter stints. The former rule alone means the Toyotas can surely cruise to the finish and thus avoid risking a crash and any reliability problems?

Qualifying was a sham too with all the GTE cars too scared to show outright pace due to fear of BoP prosecution bollocks...
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Assuming I don't have a pay TV service like Sky/Virgin, is good watchable else where?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The Eurosport streams online are normally much higher quality than F1, I've watched them the past few years.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:32 pm I thought the LMP1 category was on equal footing but watching qualifying yesterday it’s anything but. It’s Toyotas race to lose as the non-hybrid LMP1 cars have so many restrictions which makes no sense as you would expect them to be slower anyway.

They have odd rules such as having to lap slower than the hybrids otherwise getting a penalty and having to have a longer minimum pit stop time despite running shorter stints. The former rule alone means the Toyotas can surely cruise to the finish and thus avoid risking a crash and any reliability problems?

Qualifying was a sham too with all the GTE cars too scared to show outright pace due to fear of BoP prosecution bollocks...
It's total bollocks and has been ever since they started with the diesel era. It's 'll on a false footing. Then you've got the Alonso-Toyota PR exercise in full flow so guaranteed that unless his car suffers an issue he will win.

Oddly I've seen more of it this year than ever thanks to foreign tv and I've really enjoyed it. You just have to forget about the LMP1 hybrid and focus on everything behind them
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It would be much better if it were just LMP2 and GTE cars. Keep having good races in the above classes ruined by the odd LMP1 making its way through.

Buemi won’t be a popular man, queue Toyota bringing in the 7 car for an extra long pitstop. They’ve even not bothered having Alonso in the car for more than 2 stints yet as they want him to drive the car across the finish line in P1 :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:29 am It would be much better if it were just LMP2 and GTE cars. Keep having good races in the above classes ruined by the odd LMP1 making its way through.

Buemi won’t be a popular man, queue Toyota bringing in the 7 car for an extra long pitstop. They’ve even not bothered having Alonso in the car for more than 2 stints yet as they want him to drive the car across the finish line in P1 :lol:
Yep if they had any dignity they’d not permit only one team in a class.

Enjoying that the pink pig is leading GTE Pro.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just listening to the dire Eurosport commentary - in 1991 when Mazda won they sold more cars in the following week to the value of an extra 2 billion (dollars presumably).

Can’t be right can it? If it were surely Audi and Porsche would still be here as it would be profitable. Or are the public so silly that they will all rush off to buy a Prius tomorrow because it’s somehow related to the LMP1 car?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mazda appears to quote its turnover in Yen so perhaps it was Y2bn. That would be more feasible I guess.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:29 am It would be much better if it were just LMP2 and GTE cars. Keep having good races in the above classes ruined by the odd LMP1 making its way through.

Alonso won’t be driving it across the line, he’s in the car now and they’ve said they are not changing the driver rotation. It makes sense for them to have a Japanese driver finishing anyway.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How did the 8 car get ahead during the night?

Makowiecki continues to be the biggest cunt in motorsport. Nice to see some things don’t change.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 am How did the 8 car get ahead during the night?

Makowiecki continues to be the biggest cunt in motorsport. Nice to see some things don’t change.
Is that the guy in the Rothmans Porsche? How that weaving was ignored is beyond me.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, he has previous form for it too, and usually gets away with it!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

The Toyota slows again!