Transferring a private plate to an unregistered car?

Zonda_

Transferring a private plate to an unregistered car?

Post by Zonda_ »

Mate has bought a private plate to go onto a brand new car. He has the retention document from the previous owner of the plate (Grantee) but the dealer say the paperwork needs changing before they can do anything. The only section I can see on the form is where the Grantee adds a Nominee but that only asks for the Nominees name, not address details. Anyone any experience of doing this?
Carlos

Re: Transferring a private plate to an unregistered car?

Post by Carlos »

I'm not sure if it's different for a lease car but we couldn't put a private plate on until after the car had been registered with a new age related plate. I understand that when you take the plate off the DVLA revert back to the original age related plate instead of issuing a new one like they used to do.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ah, that could be it.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Give it to the dealer, they do it all the time, and can register it when they first reg the car
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Foz wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 pm Give it to the dealer, they do it all the time, and can register it when they first reg the car
It's the dealer that told him it couldn't be done. I've just spoken to the DVLA, they said the law changed recently and the car has to be registered new with an age related plate as Carlos said, before a private plate can go on it.
ste

Post by ste »

Exactly that.

The plus of it is you're now guaranteed to get the same plate back when you take the private plate off whereas it used to be likely that you would, but not guaranteed. They now reserve it for that car.
scotta

Post by scotta »

I spoke to DVLA two weeks ago. They said it was possible to put a cherished number on the car if it hadnt been registered already. If it had been then you would need to wait for the paperwork to come then transfer it.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

scotta wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:40 pm I spoke to DVLA two weeks ago. They said it was possible to put a cherished number on the car if it hadnt been registered already. If it had been then you would need to wait for the paperwork to come then transfer it.
The first guy I spoke to told me it was then when he looked into it he couldn't see how to, he transferred me to a different guy who said it was no longer possible.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Sounds like the garage haven a clue what they're doing. My late March (2018) car was first registered on a 2008 plate no problem at all.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Orange Cola wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:32 am Sounds like the garage haven a clue what they're doing. My late March (2018) car was first registered on a 2008 plate no problem at all.
It was the DVLA I spoke too, he did say the law had just changed.