Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

Wot Foz said. It's not like the basic plot (theme park with robots, robots go rogue) is unknown, but the way it's done is nicely paid off at the end.

Season 2 goes more into the why than the how and is nicely done again.

By nicely done, I mean well shot/directed/acted/characterisation etc.

So I imagine it would require a bit of patience is what is effectively sci-fi isn't your normal bag.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I've got no issue with slowburners normally but Westworld really didn't get under my skin at all. Odd because it should be right up my street. I'll give it another crack at some point.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Foz wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am
Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 am

All of that. Every word.
same.
slow burner and only really gets going near the end..
i can’t be arsed watching it again to catch up.

It’s my own fault, I Lose patience with shows that dart around between timelines without explanation until the end.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:20 pm Whilst Homeland is something I watch with the O/H, I've started enjoying White Gold on Netflix. It's actually a BBC production, so maybe was on there first (BBC3 maybe?)

It's got James and Joe from The Inbetweeners (Jay and Simon) and also Ed Westwick who play some double glazing salesmen in the early '80's. Pretty funny so far, but then again maybe I'm enjoying it because of the nostalgia factor?
It was indeed on BBC3 first - after BBC3 had become online-only. I didn't realise it had shifted to Netflix but that's an obvious thing to do with a series once it's had the few months of iPlayer presence.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Got to get back on Billions as well, loved the earlier stuff!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Now imagine that, and add John Malkovich being awesome - Season 3 FTW
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:40 am I've got no issue with slowburners normally but Westworld really didn't get under my skin at all. Odd because it should be right up my street. I'll give it another crack at some point.
My reaction was the same as yours at first, then it just clicked with me and I couldn't get enough. Part of the problem was by then I'd not been engrossed enough in the episodes I had watched, so there was a bit of bafflement and confusion at what was going on, hence need to re-watch it from the start.
Cheers,

Mike.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 am (re. Billions) Now imagine that, and add John Malkovich being awesome - Season 3 FTW
You forgot to mention a cameo by Maria Sharapova complete with signature sex noises.

However, by S3 it is so apparent that every major character is completely morally bankrupt and irredeemable, it is impossible to root for or care about any of them.

I absolutely loved WestWorld first time round, but loved it even more rewatching S1 in 4k Blu Ray (really wish it was broadcast in UHD) so each episode was fresh in my mind and it flowed nicely.
It's definitely one for box set binge-watching rather than being drip-fed weekly.

I love the fact they've been given authority to make the episodes varying lengths as they see fit. This week's one was 1:49 minutes long!
Dramatically slower paced than the other S2 episodes, but you could tell it was the scene-setting calm before the storm.

The fan show West:Word on Sky Atlantic that is broadcast after each airing is mainly terrible, but next week they will have Jonathan Nolan and his fit wife/co-creator on, so that should be worth a watch.

If you like WestWorld, it is worth grabbing the box set of Person Of Interest, which was Nolan's previous series.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

David_Yu wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:38 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 am (re. Billions) Now imagine that, and add John Malkovich being awesome - Season 3 FTW
You forgot to mention a cameo by Maria Sharapova complete with signature sex noises.

However, by S3 it is so apparent that every major character is completely morally bankrupt and irredeemable, it is impossible to root for or care about any of them.
And the characters are inconsistent.

Axe and Chuck making up all of a sudden

Maggie turning on Taylor, when before she was 100% behind Taylor and over with Axe

Sacker turning on Chuck
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Just try and enjoy the documentary, Nathan. We won't think you're less cool for liking something.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

No peacocking necessary. Just when one episode doesn't really follow from the next it makes it hard to follow.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It really doesn't :lol: - it couldn't be simpler to follow if you just pay the tiniest bit of attention.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well, Homeland S4E12 was a bit of a disappointment. Considering how much the series had built up and up with the attack on the embassy etc, you'd think the series finale would be a major event. Instead it's like the producers had run out of money and so based it all around Carrie's mum and other trivialities. Such disappoint, so confusion.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Has anyone watched Cobra Kai? I heard an interview with Ralph Macchio and Billy Zabka on the ID10T podcast this morning. It sounds interesting but I'm pretty time poor at the moment.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

If you are old enough to have watched the original Karate Kid in the cinema and loved it, you will surely enjoy Cobra Kai. Pure nostalgia. Already looking forward the season 2!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Have started Lost In Space but after a few episodes I'm finding the whole thing a bit, "twee" for want of a better word. A lot of the jeopardy also seems very manufactured in a very unimaginative way. And already some of the stupidity of the characters is doing my nut. Does it get any better?
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I gave up half way through the first episode. Really disappointing.

I summed it up by describing it as 'If Blue Peter did Sci-Fi'

That and the stupidity of the supposedly intelligent characters made me want them all to die in a horrible accident. If you can't get behind the characters and want them to succeed then what's the point?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lost In Space is a bit meh.

The Expanse continues to be spot on.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Simon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 pm Well, Homeland S4E12 was a bit of a disappointment. Considering how much the series had built up and up with the attack on the embassy etc, you'd think the series finale would be a major event. Instead it's like the producers had run out of money and so based it all around Carrie's mum and other trivialities. Such disappoint, so confusion.
Still I keep enjoying it through to S7. IIRC sometimes their big action finale is in the penultimate episode and the last one is a 'let's all calm down'. Not always though.

Half way through Mr Robot S3, last episode was awesome.
Left over crest; tightens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

JonMad wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:32 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:25 pm Well, Homeland S4E12 was a bit of a disappointment. Considering how much the series had built up and up with the attack on the embassy etc, you'd think the series finale would be a major event. Instead it's like the producers had run out of money and so based it all around Carrie's mum and other trivialities. Such disappoint, so confusion.
Still I keep enjoying it through to S7. IIRC sometimes their big action finale is in the penultimate episode and the last one is a 'let's all calm down'. Not always though.
Fair enough, but I've just started watching Series 5 and they've jumped forward 2 years and left so many loose ends / unanswered questions.

What happened to Haqini after Quinn went after him? Why was Dar Adal in his car? Why did Carrie go private? etc etc.

I think in real life the writers saw the ISIS thing take off and wanted to be part of that action, and the only way to slide into that story was to just say '2 years later....'