Your fleet running reports

JLv3.0

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by JLv3.0 »

Or take it to an exhaust shop and have someone who knows what they're doing fix it for about a fiver. And then get on with life. But, y'know - Beany.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

To be fair to Bean, you can see that the actual arm (on the silencer itself) that the rubber would hook into appears to be missing, meaning a new rubber hanger wouldn’t help.

Hence someone has hung it from the pipe with a coat hanger.

It’s going to need an inventive bodge or a new back section. I’d just go with the inventive bodge.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Had the same on my Mito, spend all of a minute putting a jubilee clamp on it. About 2 years later the stainless clamp was the only part of the exhaust that didn’t turn to dust :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:53 pm To be fair to Bean, you can see that the actual arm (on the silencer itself) that the rubber would hook into appears to be missing, meaning a new rubber hanger wouldn’t help.

It’s going to need an inventive bodge or a new back section. I’d just go with the inventive bodge.
Beany needs to photograph it from the other side. The exhaust hanger is on the other side of the exhaust.

You can see the car body hanger and the rubber 'hanger', but the exhaust arm can't be seen because the pipe's in the way.

FWIW though, mine had rusted off there and was also (badly) welded before I bought my car.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 am After 20 minutes, I gave up trying to change the nearside headlight bulb on Kathryn's Mk3 Clio.
Not a euphemism.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:53 pm To be fair to Bean, you can see that the actual arm (on the silencer itself) that the rubber would hook into appears to be missing, meaning a new rubber hanger wouldn’t help.

Beany needs to photograph it from the other side. The exhaust hanger is on the other side of the exhaust.

You can see the car body hanger and the rubber 'hanger', but the exhaust arm can't be seen because the pipe's in the way.

FWIW though, mine had rusted off there and was also (badly) welded before I bought my car.
I think it must be a TADTS - the part where it connects to the silencer has rusted off. The rubber itself on the hanger is in pretty good shape :lol:

I'll prooooobably bodge it up somehow for now, as the silencer itself is fine otherwise. It's not falling off, certainly, it's just squawky and creaky and rattles a bit on startup/power off.

Anyway, unrelated update - I've had that 'engine malfunction' warning for a while, that persists even after a DTC reset?

Yeah, if you don't change the oil within (I'd guess) 1000 miles of the service required message coming up, it puts that message up to focus the mind a bit. So I'll have that sorted soon enough.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Replaced all the coils and plugs on the Volvo as I had a slight misfire under load on cyl4, old plugs well past their best, all back to normal now.

Next up is fitting the new rear discs, pads and shoes, finally getting the rest of the exhaust made up and fitted and fitting my new steering rack and fluid.

Still need a new boot lid as well really to make it look 100% and the wheels refurbing.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

420 went past 50000 miles today. New front discs and pads fitted yesterday cured the horrible shaking/vibration under braking. New tyres (MPS4) getting fitted all round next week.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Wife's Passat started showing the "oil change" and "inspection" messages recently so she took it into the local VW main agent to see what's needed.

5 years / 50k miles. We've only had it since last year though.

Came out with a quote for £1200 :shock:

This is the first time she's had a newish car, in the past I've always done stuff myself and she's been rather sheltered from the running costs. Nowadays I don't really have the time for it.

This'll learn her....
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:31 am Wife's Passat started showing the "oil change" and "inspection" messages recently so she took it into the local VW main agent to see what's needed.

5 years / 50k miles. We've only had it since last year though.

Came out with a quote for £1200 :shock:

This is the first time she's had a newish car, in the past I've always done stuff myself and she's been rather sheltered from the running costs. Nowadays I don't really have the time for it.

This'll learn her....
Fucking hell! I've heard oil referred to as black gold but that price is taking the piss, she's surely not going to pay it?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'd imagine that's not just an oil change Gav. HTH.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:19 am I'd imagine that's not just an oil change Gav. HTH.
I know that but what else are they doing on an 'inspection' for that price. My 420 is due a service in 2k miles so around 52k and the price quoted is a faction of that.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Fitting a new engine - crazy discounts :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s the same price as BMW charge to do a big service on a v10 M5/M6, which has a lot more oil, spark plugs, LSD oil, fuel and oil filter and M tax.
How about not having a sig at all?
Foz

Post by Foz »

Helps when the previous owner has put the MAF flange on the right way round...

Foz wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:24 pm K&N fitted, instant PSM/ABS fault...

Diagnostic reader: MAF fault.

I was wondering how the feck they were connected but they are.

Sounds great anyway but I need a fix as that will piss me right off... MAF itself looks brand new and I was very careful swapping it over..

Clearly I need to move the MAF 2” to left and clean it!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:19 am I'd imagine that's not just an oil change Gav. HTH.
339 major service
230 dsg oil & filter
499 cambelt & water pump
69 brake fluid
99 a/c service
1236 total

The cambelt is obviously a big chunk and I wouldn't do that myself. The rest is about £200 of materials ? Plus let's say 4hrs @ £100/hr.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

And there it is.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Cambelt and water pump at 5yr/50k?

Seems a bit early, or is that just how VW roll?
John

Post by John »

They've got to recoup their 1 billion euro fine somehow.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 pm Cambelt and water pump at 5yr/50k?

Seems a bit early, or is that just how VW roll?
5yrs seems to be their recommended interval for the cambelt. Water pump is probably a "while you're there" job.

I just remembered that in one episode of Car SOS, Fuzz had a brilliant shortcut when changing a cam belt. I might not work on all engines, and it'll be no good if you're doing the water pump at the same time, but it was:

With old belt still in-situ, cut it in half lenthwise, so that it's now half its original width.

Slide new belt halfway onto the pullies, the original belt maintains the timing.

Cut old belt off, slide new belt fully into position.

Done !