Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Jobbo »

It's not a religious ceremony you know :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:10 pm
GG. wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 pm :D You mean someone from the forum actually bought something posted in a for sale thread? Unbelievable :shock:

By wine I assume you mean for your wedding, rather than as an investment!
I think given the pretty limited audience for sale threads on here do pretty well. I've bought two cars off forum members!
same here. Two cars - both red though
John

Post by John »

It's now less expensive to be a cunt (copyright JL). Other reductions too including Omega.

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/l ... ct%7Csale/
mik

Post by mik »

John wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 pm It's now less expensive to be a cunt (copyright JL). Other reductions too including Omega.

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/l ... ct%7Csale/
After keeping an eye on these for about 18months, I got mrs mik an automatic Rado from them a few weeks back. With the extra 10% off for the first order I saved about 45%. I ordered on line but got it sent to the store and they made a very well judged level of fuss when I took her in to collect it, and adjusted the bracelet for us (for free) before we left. Good service 😊

One of these in fact
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I know it's personal choice, and I hope your wife likes it, but for me Rado have always been the worst of the worst.

They have a very strong whiff of Peter Stringfellow about them.

I always picture over-tanned, middle aged men who always dress in all black (black shirt, black suit), the shirts are half unbuttoned.

And they wear overly pointy, patent leather shoes with faux buckles.

And way too much cologne and other jewellery.
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah - that’s identical to my wife.
ste

Post by ste »

mik wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:49 am Yeah - that’s identical to my wife.
:lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

DaveE wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:35 amI always picture over-tanned, middle aged men who always dress in all black (black shirt, black suit), the shirts are half unbuttoned.

And they wear overly pointy, patent leather shoes with faux buckles.

And way too much cologne and other jewellery.
So Lebanese then :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

James May wears RADO
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

I've got something new for the collection - courtesy of Mrs Cain and her sympathy at my advanced years (I turned 42 over the weekend, bah, etc.): a Grand Seiko SBGA211, otherwise known as the "Snowflake". I've never had a GS before but have always rather liked them; there's something about the combination of proper, Rain Man-level obsession with detail and the restrained aesthetic which I really enjoy, and I also have to admit to liking the left-field brand as a whole. the nature of the beast is clear to those who know, and completely missed by those who don't.

The watch itself is an absolute belter. The main draw is of course the lacquered white dial, supposedly textured to echo fresh snowfall on the mountains around the Seiko Epson factory where they're made. Or traditional Japanese paper. Or nothing at all, depending on which anecdote one chooses to believe... In any case, it's a thing of great beauty, and the multiple layers of translucent lacquer make the indices and printing appear to "float" slightly above the dial itself. A really stunning effect. The hands and indices are mirror-polished, faceted steel which tones nicely with the titanium case - parts of which are polished to a shine I have never seen on titanium before. Overall the combination of brushed and polished surfaces works really well, and makes the watch almost look delicate from some angles.

Inside is Seiko's own 9R-series spring drive movement which is also a thing of great beauty - the rotor and plates are decorated with Geneva waves so fine that bright light creates rainbow-like diffraction patterns around the edges; again, not something I've seen before. Whether one thinks it's a quartz with mechanical elements or a mechanical movement with a quartz regulator (seriously, this is the sort of flame war that rages for YEARS out there on watch-nerd sites), it's beautifully finished and the perfectly smooth, silent glide of the second hand is quite mesmeric. Overall the finishing on this watch is astonishing, and puts some of my Swiss stuff to shame.

TL:DR - if you're thinking about a Grand Seiko, they're definitely worth a look. And the Snowflake is a beautiful watch with extraordinary levels of finishing.

ImageUntitled by preachercain1, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by preachercain1, on Flickr
mik

Post by mik »

Can you please put it on anything other than a nato and take more pics? :?
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

LOL - I thought it suited rather well! As soon as I get round to sizing the (very lovely) bracelet, your wish will of course be my command. 😁
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mik is just the Donald Trump of watch aficionados (anti-Nato) - ignore him ;)
John

Post by John »

I do like a Grand Seiko but I'm also looking forward to seeing it on the bracelet.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

The Grand Seiko is a wonderful watch - lucky boy.

Yamazaki too. I've had two bottles of their 18yo and it's amazing stuff. Ridiculous price for a bottle now though, so I'll likely never have it again...
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

My cousin is a watch buff and he rates his GS above pretty much anything else in his collection.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have a bottle of Yamazaki at home but not Snowflake. Mrs Jobbo must remedy this.

Loved the dial since I first saw one; I didn’t realise the case was titanium though. Amazing finishing.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I've never really clocked (so to speak) Grand Seiko as a thing, but as I have two Seikos (Titanium Kenetic and SK007), this warrants further investigation.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

JonMad wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am I've never really clocked (so to speak) Grand Seiko as a thing, but as I have two Seikos (Titanium Kenetic and SK007), this warrants further investigation.
ah, *slightly* more expensive than my other watches then :lol:
Left over crest; tightens.