IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by IanF »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 am There were four hour ones as well for the real ballas!
perfect, you can then fit Predator on it twice!
Didn’t LR(?) or something come out that let you record 6/8 hours?
Cheers,

Ian
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

IanF wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:49 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 am There were four hour ones as well for the real ballas!
perfect, you can then fit Predator on it twice!
Didn’t LR(?) or something come out that let you record 6/8 hours?
i think we know where this is going....
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched a couple of Serious Films For Adults™ on Saturday night.

You Were Never Really Here

Joaquin Pheonix is a very violent man who gets pulled into a cover up of political child abusers. It's incredibly tense and Pheonix is very very good, I felt the story was maybe a bit too stripped down though. There are character points that could've been fleshed out a bit more. It is a brilliant movie though, I might read the book it's based on as well.

The Revenant

Not sure why it took me so long to watch this, I like the director and it has a great cast. I enjoyed it, it's not without fault but generally it's a really good movie. There were some coincidences in the story that were a bit silly and some very ropey cg animals which pulled you out of the story a bit but overall it was great. Not Innaritu's best but up there.

Missus was away Saturday night so I also rewatched a bunch of old car movies. Vanishing Point, Two Lane Blacktop American Graffiti, Mad Max and Smokey and the Bandit. They were all still amazing.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I need to find a copy of Two Lane Blacktop as I’ve never seen it. Did you know the 1955 Chevy in TLB is the exact same car as Harrison Ford drives in American Graffiti?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I did know that. Two Lane Blacktop is definitely more on the Vanishing Point end of car movies, it's pretty ambient. There's barely any dialogue at all and most of the sound is just from the cars.

I watched Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry not long ago, which is another one of those old car movies people go on about. It's pretty good fun.
An absolute unit
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:26 am Oh - I'm watching it in IMAX 3D in a desperate bid to secure some form of approval from David Yu. Sadly it's not on the day of release so I fear I have already blown any chance I may have had.
I don't always choose 3D, and indeed our local multiplex does very few 3D showings now.
I do often choose 3D for the Blu Ray though as it looks amazing on my hallway telly.

Anyway, Solo. As I've always said, life is about expectation management, and following TLJ (I can't even bring myself to type out the full title) was sooo bad and the trailers for this looked very poor, I had rock bottom expectations.
Happily, however, we all ended up loving it!
Some great references to the original films and I almost had tears of joy when certain iconic Williams' themes from Empire Strikes Back popped up at the right place.
Not as serious or downbeat as Rogue One and lacked its spectacular battle scenes, but overall I think I preferred it.
Anybody who loves Han, Chewie, Lando and the Falcon cannot fail to really.

So well done Richie Cunningham for reviving my love of Star Wars, albeit, by heavily referencing the old stuff.

For sure, the anthology series is proving infinitely superior to the new trilogy, and if the next film is the long-rumoured Boba Fett movie, that will be the icing on the cake.
Basically SW movies without the Force are more engaging.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I keep seeing Obi-Wan being touted as the next film. The trailer I have seen which if fake is very good, was basically Obi-Wan looking pensive or possibly mildly constipated while looking into the middle distance.

I would like to see The Republic Commando books turned into a TV series or something similar but sanctioned. I would also like to see Ashoka turn up in a stand alone film.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

David_Yu wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:24 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:26 am Oh - I'm watching it in IMAX 3D in a desperate bid to secure some form of approval from David Yu. Sadly it's not on the day of release so I fear I have already blown any chance I may have had.
I don't always choose 3D, and indeed our local multiplex does very few 3D showings now.
I do often choose 3D for the Blu Ray though as it looks amazing on my hallway telly.

Anyway, Solo. As I've always said, life is about expectation management, and following TLJ (I can't even bring myself to type out the full title) was sooo bad and the trailers for this looked very poor, I had rock bottom expectations.
Happily, however, we all ended up loving it!
Some great references to the original films and I almost had tears of joy when certain iconic Williams' themes from Empire Strikes Back popped up at the right place.
Not as serious or downbeat as Rogue One and lacked its spectacular battle scenes, but overall I think I preferred it.
Anybody who loves Han, Chewie, Lando and the Falcon cannot fail to really.

So well done Richie Cunningham for reviving my love of Star Wars, albeit, by heavily referencing the old stuff.

For sure, the anthology series is proving infinitely superior to the new trilogy, and if the next film is the long-rumoured Boba Fett movie, that will be the icing on the cake.
Basically SW movies without the Force are more engaging.
All of that.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I watched Smokey and the Bandit yesterday. Still love it.

And that era Sally Field was lovely..
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

dinny_g wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 am I watched Smokey and the Bandit yesterday. Still love it.

And that era Sally Field was lovely..
And all of that as well. I can still picture her cute little butt in those light-blue 70s flares.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

12th Man

Really good war type film (not footy). Worthy of a watch if you can cope with subtitles. 8-)

8 frost bitten toes out of 10
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 amWorthy of a watch if you can cope with subtitles. 8-)
I think I actually prefer films with subtitles - means you have to actually watch them and concentrate!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 am 12th Man

Really good war type film (not footy). Worthy of a watch if you can cope with subtitles. 8-)

8 frost bitten toes out of 10
Just read the reviews - like the look of that one..
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:40 am I did know that. Two Lane Blacktop is definitely more on the Vanishing Point end of car movies, it's pretty ambient. There's barely any dialogue at all and most of the sound is just from the cars.

I watched Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry not long ago, which is another one of those old car movies people go on about. It's pretty good fun.
I ordered TLB off Amazon so going to try and convince MrsREV to watch it tonight.

Also, I watched Solo and thought it was really good. I think overall I prefer Rogue One, but they’re very different feeling films. Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson were both brilliant as always.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 am
Broccers wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:20 amWorthy of a watch if you can cope with subtitles. 8-)
I think I actually prefer films with subtitles - means you have to actually watch them and concentrate!
I'm finding I watch more and more with the subtitles on these days - gettin' old and deaf :oops:
mik

Post by mik »

Mandela : long walk to freedom

Blimey. Powerful stuff. :?

And I thought Idris Elba was fuckin superb in this. 8-)
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Sicario

Saw the trailer to number 2 at Deadpool2, looked good. Thought I should watch the first. Glad I did, very well shotand very enjoyable.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Black Panther

It's another good Marvel movie. Good cast, funny, great action and a belter of a soundtrack from Kendrick Lamar. If you like Marvel movies you'll enjoy it. If you don't it's ok, it's not for you.

Animal Kingdom

Another movie I've been meaning to watch for ages. A pretty small Australian crime movie with a cast full of my favourite actors. It's not mind blowing but I enjoyed it.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Trying to remember all the films I watched on the interminable flights over the last couple of weeks:

Downsizing - a nice idea, started well but they didn't have anywhere to go with the story beyond that so it was a bit dull. Ended in an eco way rather than the expected anarchy of the poor full-size humans stomping on the rich shrunken intelligentsia, which would have been both far more realistic a scenario and far more entertaining to watch.
Daddy's Home 2 - I had wanted to see this at Christmas and that is a more appropriate time than in June, but it was surprisingly OK for what is clearly a cynical cheesy comedy with hammy acting.
Logan Lucky - not great, didn't bother to finish watching
Wedding Crashers - still great after umpteen watches
Den of Thieves - quite long (over 2 hours) and pretty good albeit totally derivative. Basically a GTA heist storyline made into a film, with stereotypical hard-drinking cop whose wife leaves him. Worth watching because it's nicely shot and stylish.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - I had never even heard of this; my wife suggested watching it before we went on to Hawaii. Really good comedy film and well worth seeking out.
I, Tonya - this was watched on a crap screen on a Delta flight with regular interruptions for announcements; it still seemed to be a decent film. Spoiler: don't watch if you simply want to see a happy ending. Margot Robbie is probably the best actor to have come out of Neighbours.
Early Man - the new Aardman/Nick Park film. Not all that interesting and I turned it off before half way. There isn't an obvious lead character and it seems cynically intended to ride on the World Cup with football themes which don't interest me one iota. Nice animation as usual, shame about the subject matter and story.

I'm sure there were a couple more but I forget what they were now. Surprised the list is as long as that already.