Your fleet running reports

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Matty »

Was that an essential reason to leave your house, Si? ;) Back luck on a the knock though :evil:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

No, but after considering it this morning I thought it was only going to get more difficult to travel freely - and the legislation to fine people isn't yet in place, I believe. So get them collected before he changed his mind about the price!

Irritating to be hit by a moron but since it was on a roundabout there's a fair chance it would go 50/50 anyway so I don't intend to claim if he doesn't. The damage is minimal.

Volvo update: it's not being collected tomorrow now, so I shall have an argument with Santander about them taking responsibility for it and not charging me beyond the collection date. My insurance expires tomorrow...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well I gave the Defender a proper wash at the weekend now that the roads aren’t salted and there’s less mud. Got most the crud out the chassis.
Noticed that the dinitrol has worn off some areas so I wirebrushed the worst of it today and topped up the areas which needed it
Could do with another can, in fact I’ll order one right now as I’ll just end up leaving it till next year.

Painted the side step (not enough paint for the other side) but it came out well so I’ll order more, do the other side and the front bumper.
If I get desperate I’ll polish the corrosion off the rivets.
How about not having a sig at all?
evostick

Post by evostick »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 pm Well I gave the Defender a proper wash at the weekend now that the roads aren’t salted and there’s less mud. Got most the crud out the chassis.
Noticed that the dinitrol has worn off some areas so I wirebrushed the worst of it today and topped up the areas which needed it
Time well spent there dude.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yeah, a few hours work each year and hopefully I won’t be going through a new chassis every few years :lol:
Cars will be getting a lot of attention these next few weeks...
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm impressed with my ageing fleet.

Today took the Mini to shop to feed my parents. Frugal car that

Later I had to go to get milk and chocolate I took the boxster. Suddenly I realised I'm fuckin lucky while the few seconds the flat six sucked and blowed my day changed.
mik

Post by mik »

There isn’t a version of the Porsche flat-6 that doesn’t sound lovely to me. 8-)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:59 pm There isn’t a version of the Porsche flat-6 that doesn’t sound lovely to me. 8-)
Yes. Use your car a bit to de-stress. My Mrs has been home day one today. Those few moments are keeping her alive.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I thought about taking my flat-6 out for a drive the other day, but it meant moving my V10 & V8 out the way first and it all seemed like too much effort so I didn't bother.

FML.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

BBC news last night a chap (wasn’t paying much attention) said it’s ok to go out for a drive as there is no more risk than staying at home apart from obviously when you have to fill up.

Then again it goes against official advice. Guess at the end of the day it’s all down to if a cop is feeling like a cunt and if you pass the attitude test. I don’t blame them for all acting like a cunt when you have people still having mass BBQ gatherings...
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Same - home isolation inbetween shifts led to me double-shampooing the Porsche and giving it a wax. Very shiny.

Glad the warmth has dried out the roads after so much wet misery in Feb. I've had the top down two or three times and the tyres are finding serious grip again.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Today’s job was replacing boot gas struts. Looked online and it seemed easy on the diagrams. Trim all came out easily, then I realised I have about as much space as a gynaecologist as I climbed in the boot head in and started stabbing blindly with a screwdriver trying to get the strut unclipped.
As you can barely see it’s between the boot hinge and chassis bracing with so little room that you can’t even lever on it with a screwdriver.
Also I was extremely pleased to find that I have a myriad of speed holez.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So the 6 series has an ongoing tyre problem.
Some years ago my mum drove it and the run flat let go after the inner shoulder just got too worn
It had an alignment done and new rear tyres but it always killed the rear tyres by wearing the inside shoulders.

Last year when the front suspension broke and punctured the front tyre I had all the suspension and bushes looked through and worn bits replaced and geo done.

Today I just noticed this
Other side isn’t much better

Any ideas wtf is going on?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Alignment must be miles put to have almost worn through in one spot yet leave so much tread everywhere else :?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But what can cause the alignment to get out of whack so quickly? I had everything checked and don’t drive into potholes or whack it into kerbs. Had all the bushes checked.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Is it possible someone's *proper* smacked it on a high kerb or a big pothole, which is bent a suspension arm or similar non-adjustable part, that an inspection of the bushes/geo might not pick up on? It might not even look bent at first.
mik

Post by mik »

That looks like a combo of negative camber (possibly within spec) and way too much toe-out on the rear axle?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Take it somewhere else and ask them to check the alignment ?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 pm Same - home isolation inbetween shifts led to me double-shampooing the Porsche and giving it a wax. Very shiny.
As mine is street parked I now have a quandry as to whether standing outside to wash it is unnecessarily leaving the house :?

Will probably get the Karcher out tomorrow and give it a quick wash as its pretty disgusting.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:21 pm That looks like a combo of negative camber (possibly within spec) and way too much toe-out on the rear axle?
I’ve seen online that some people are asking for 0 camber on alignment to reduce this problem but the handling ends up feeling crap.

Anyway it’ll need a new pair of rear tyres and I’ll get it aligned again once life resumes to normal.