Coronavirus

integrale_evo

Re: Coronavirus

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:53 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 pm
Mito Man wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:39 pm Guess our cars no longer need to be road legal either which is sweet 😂
I don’t know where you’re getting that from? I’ve not seen people service and MoT cars from home :!:
MOT garages aren’t one of the essential services so how can you possibly have a road legal car once it expires within this lockdown period. Guess you’ll just have to drive a non legal car to the supermarket...
They haven't closed all non-essential businesses yet, but said you can travel to a place of work if it is essential and can't be done from home.

Most manufacturing plants will still be open until the legislation changes again to tighten things up or the business decides to shut for the safety of its staff.

I'd argue that garages / mot stations are fairly essential to keep the vehicles of those who have essential jobs roadworthy. Is my mrs going to be expected to drive to work at the local hospital for three weeks on a spacesaver tyre if she gets a puncture because no garages are open? ( well, yeah, I'd fix it myself, but you get the point... )
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I agree but you can only leave home for work, shopping, helping vulnerable people or exercise.

So garage owners can leave for work but customers technically can’t visit them. This needs to be fleshed out more me thinks.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Well, yes, if you follow it to the letter you also wouldn't be able to deviate from your journey to work to buy petrol.

Would be helpful if they would extend mots for a month or so to save people that worry / hassle and leave garages to fix / repair which is more 'essential' but then I'd have thought making sure people's cars were roadworthy and not death traps would be fairly 'essential'
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My Volvo is supposed to be picked up by the lease company on Wednesday. I will make it very clear it’s their responsibility to maintain and insure it from then because my insurance expires at midnight that day 😄
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jumped in. None of you lost your jobs?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

My job over at Staffs Water has been shut down, I’m isolating the site today.

Might be off to the Isle of Wight but I doubt it.

Looks like the cars are going to get a damn good clean and polish!!

Dave!
evostick

Post by evostick »

Difficult one.

In some cases it's arguable whether or not my work is essential or not. Although most would consider it not, I'm sure.

But I can't work from home. I work alone and don't come into contact with anyone else. Apart from when buying fuel.

I shall continue to work until ordered not too. I fully expect to get some abuse for doing so but it seems like the best course of action to me.
Simon

Post by Simon »

OK, so going to the source, garages are allowed to stay open (MOT and third party servicing?) but car showrooms must close. Which, if you have your car serviced and MOT'd at a main dealer is 'interesting'. I'm wondering if they can do that work whilst not partaking in car sales?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Sytner sent me two emails yesterday- the first, in the day, says they were closing showrooms but keeping workshops open. Then overnight they updated to say workshops were closed.

Don’t break down!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

evostick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 am Difficult one.

In some cases it's arguable whether or not my work is essential or not. Although most would consider it not, I'm sure.

But I can't work from home. I work alone and don't come into contact with anyone else. Apart from when buying fuel.

I shall continue to work until ordered not too. I fully expect to get some abuse for doing so but it seems like the best course of action to me.
Tim, there’s nothing to say you can’t work. I think it would be ridiculous for the government to ban economic activity, particularly when you can do it safely.
Last edited by Jobbo on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:01 am
evostick wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:24 am Difficult one.

Tim, there’s nothing to say you can’t work. I think it would be ridiculous for the government to Ben economic activity, particularly when you can go it safely.
Cheers. Sadly I fear that rationality isn't going to come into things for a while. I'm sure that a % of clients will expect me to work and a % will be resentful and will see this as an opportunity to potentially escape paying their service charge :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think that now a lot of people have their cupboards stocked and the 'lockdown' has started, the currency will move on from being toilet rolls to battery chargers when a lot of people's cars don't start in 3-4 weeks time.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Went for an interview at the start of this month and got the job. Yesterday was the first "official" day, luckily in academia I can work from home without much hassle. Hopefully HR and tech support have me on the system. Just grateful I got the job, if I didn't it would have caused some anxiety as my previous contract ended in January. I can't imagine it's going to be easy to find a job under the current circumstances.
M235i
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Alex_ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 am Went for an interview at the start of this month and got the job. Yesterday was the first "official" day, luckily in academia I can work from home without much hassle. Hopefully HR and tech support have me on the system. Just grateful I got the job, if I didn't it would have caused some anxiety as my previous contract ended in January. I can't imagine it's going to be easy to find a job under the current circumstances.
I’m extremely grateful to have got my job when I did. I’m lucky and very thankful for it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I got a text from one of the Directors last night saying the office has shut. I assume that means I will not carry on from home but he is calling me this morning so I guess i will know then.

Nipped out and got a laptop to help with home schooling yesterday. Glad we decided to just do it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I was about to move to a new job, but it's kind of fallen through now... good job I didn't hand my notice in! Probably for the best at the moment.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nice to see the biggest arseholes in the service industry staying true to form.

Sports Direct refusing to close stores and Wetherspoons refusing to pay staff until the government pays out is depressingly predictable.

I’ve heard from friends in service and hospitality that it’s a bloodbath for everyone but management.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

It's never a bloodbath for management, didn't you know, they're the important ones who deliver business.
Barry

Post by Barry »

They extended MOT for commercial vehicles so they might yet extend that to cover private vehicles. Easier than having to deal with 8% of private cars needing an MOT I suppose. I can use the EV anyway. Or three of the bikes. Or walk.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... oronavirus
mik

Post by mik »

France has banned cycling and you can jog/walk no further than 1km from your house. No idea how they are policing the latter...