Your fleet running reports

_andy

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by _andy »

McSwede wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:00 pm
_andy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 am
McSwede wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm Pictures from last time.
:lol:

You has LSD! Well jel. All these really need is a LSD and a bit more noise, the power is already enough I find.
No LSD just electronic braked diff when all systems off. It works ok to be fair.

Certainly not lacking in power. I've loved my time with it so far. Lucky to be able to do so many miles in it.
That's interesting, mine spins up the inside something terrible in a couple of places on my way to work so had assumed it wouldn't be much good at burnouts either, and just produce a one-tyre-fire.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

_andy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:57 pm
_andy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 am

:lol:

You has LSD! Well jel. All these really need is a LSD and a bit more noise, the power is already enough I find.
No LSD just electronic braked diff when all systems off. It works ok to be fair.

Certainly not lacking in power. I've loved my time with it so far. Lucky to be able to do so many miles in it.
That's interesting, mine spins up the inside something terrible in a couple of places on my way to work so had assumed it wouldn't be much good at burnouts either, and just produce a one-tyre-fire.
I wasn't sure until I tried but it's got more than enough grunt. IIRC the photo was standstill in 1st/2nd then into 3rd as I started rolling. The EBD must be doing its thing.
_andy

Post by _andy »

McSwede wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:59 pm

I wasn't sure until I tried but it's got more than enough grunt. IIRC the photo was standstill in 1st/2nd then into 3rd as I started rolling. The EBD must be doing its thing.
I should try it, but I just put new tyres on (GYEF1SS) and I'm tight :lol: I should have burnt the old ones off :roll:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

_andy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 pm

I should try it, but I just put new tyres on (GYEF1SS) and I'm tight :lol: I should have burnt the old ones off :roll:
Just a cheeky little one would be ok 🤞

Interested to see how you like them.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

_andy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Think of it as scrubbing them in 😂
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Have any of you guys done the trick of using fire to seat a tyre ?

I did it yesterday. It works. Made me jump too :lol:

Despite what the internet said I couldn’t get it to work with WD40 or PlusGas. Both seemed to burn too slowly. Butane from a lighter refill evaporated far too fast. Hairspray did it in the end.
mik

Post by mik »

I think it is CAF, but most of us don’t attempt to change our tyres at home Harry :D .

My late dad bought a home-kit to do this years ago (Flewy has it now) but it only seemed to be effective at chipping, scratching and scuffing wheel rims. :?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 am I think it is CAF, but most of us don’t attempt to change our tyres at home Harry :D .
Harry?
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:53 am
mik wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 am I think it is CAF, but most of us don’t attempt to change our tyres at home Harry :D .
Harry?
Know wot I mean? Hur Hur Hur.

Apologies Steve - I remembered Harry (not Harry) Integrale doing his own tyres and this clouded my brain. Coronaids.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Silver e36 compact owners are a strange bunch :D

Never tried the fire method, too much risk of death in my mind.

I still enjoy the satisfying pop as the bead seats the traditional way, but I do have a fairly beefy compressor.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:51 am I think it is CAF, but most of us don’t attempt to change our tyres at home Harry :D
Fitting tyres is fairly new one for me but I always do as much as I can at home, I always have. It's the only way I've been able to afford the stuff I have.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am Silver e36 compact owners are a strange bunch :D
So that means I'm doubly strange ???

I don't have a compressor. I used to have a little 20 litre or so one but it was so bloody noisy I never used it. For pumping up tyres I've got a little 12V one that works great.

I keep looking at the newer "silent" (which means 60-70dB) jobbies on ebay. Have you any thoughts on those ? I can't justify a pukka Hydrovane at home :cry:
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Bought a Ramair filter the other day for the Focus (1.6 ecoboost). Was 10 quid on Facebook shite-shop but the bloke was decent. Gave it a clean but hardly any dirt came out anyway. Haven't fitted it yet but been researching cold air feeds. Is there much point?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I'm still living for the day I have the space for a proper tyre changer.

I'd be happy with a pneumatic bead breaker to be honest, unseating the bead without damaging the wheel or tyre is the hardest part of diying it. Getting the actual tyre on/ off is pretty good fun with a bar.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:25 am
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am Silver e36 compact owners are a strange bunch :D
So that means I'm doubly strange ???

I don't have a compressor. I used to have a little 20 litre or so one but it was so bloody noisy I never used it. For pumping up tyres I've got a little 12V one that works great.

I keep looking at the newer "silent" (which means 60-70dB) jobbies on ebay. Have you any thoughts on those ? I can't justify a pukka Hydrovane at home :cry:
I don't have any experience of the silent type, I'm not sure their outputs are up to much more than using as a blow gun or blowing up tyres, but if that's all you need I'm sure they're fine. If they pressurise the tank to the same pressure as a 'proper' one they'll be fine for popping a bead on, you might just have to wait every now and then for the compressor to catch up.

In general, belt drive compressors are quieter than direct drive as the vibrations of the systems are somewhat isolated from each other by the belt drive. To be honest, mine isn't too bad, the hiss from the cutoff switch as it reaches pressure and shits off is louder than the general running. Mine is just in a wooden shed, I'd imagine on a concrete floor it would be even quieter, you could surround it with an mdf enclosure too although you'd need to consider airflow and cooling for extended use.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

KevH18 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:27 am Bought a Ramair filter the other day for the Focus (1.6 ecoboost). Was 10 quid on Facebook shite-shop but the bloke was decent. Gave it a clean but hardly any dirt came out anyway. Haven't fitted it yet but been researching cold air feeds. Is there much point?
Cone filter or replacement panel filter?

For a cone filter the more you can shield it from heat sources and get cool air to it the better where reasonably practical. Also consider that a cold air feed can act as a water feed in the rain, standard intakes usually have quite a lot of thought put into their design.
Cheers, Harry
_andy

Post by _andy »

McSwede wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm
Just a cheeky little one would be ok 🤞

Interested to see how you like them.
jamcg wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:31 pm
Think of it as scrubbing them in 😂
I may do that, I just need to overcome my inherent mechanical sympathy!

I like them so far, grip has obviously improved as the MPSS that were on there whilst still legal were well past it. The sidewalls had started to crack and they had at least 25k on them as they were on it when I bought it, god knows how they lasted so long...no burnouts I guess :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:30 am I'm still living for the day I have the space for a proper tyre changer.
My lottery-win garage absolutely has a tyre changing machine and wheel balance in it.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:30 am I'm still living for the day I have the space for a proper tyre changer.
My lottery-win garage absolutely has a tyre changing machine and wheel balance in it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEMI-AUTOMAT ... SwwTla5wEa
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am Also consider that a cold air feed can act as a water feed in the rain, standard intakes usually have quite a lot of thought put into their design.
For exactly that reason I've recently reinstated the original intake system on The Compact.