Coronavirus

Swervin_Mervin

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I haven't told myself what to do yet. I'm wfh tomorrow anyway. But having discussed with one other director I don't think it will be long before I choose to stay wfh. The other director will likely moan about it but meh.

I'm trying to persuade the Mrs to do the same, but her place are pretty tight on the hygiene as it is (big pharma), with restrictions on travel (i.e. none) and not even permiited to go to other buildings on site. Hand gel everywhere as well apparently. So she feels relatively comfortable with it at the mo.

The problem will come when the schools shut, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's next week. Ours is already prepped for home-learning, and a shut down now will run into Easter hols, meaning 4 weeks shut but only 2 weeks of class time lost.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Big companies now planning for mass home working and/or 2-4 week shut downs in the worse case. It's going to get a lot worse.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

All travel from Europe, except the UK, to the US stopped for 30 days :shock:
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Pete_ wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 am All travel from Europe, except the UK, to the US stopped for 30 days :shock:
NBA has suspended all games indefinitely after a player has been tested positive.

Can’t see the Olympics or the Euro 2020 going ahead.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Simon wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 pm Yeah, good point.

How is everyone's workplace handling this? I'm really pleased with what we've announced so far. It's likely I won't see the office again till April, or maybe later.
All sorts of crazy HR policy shit needs to be worked out, the IT bit that I'm responsible for is relatively easy

60 % of our work force are parents.
If your kid is sick and you need to look after them you get paid carers leave.
If your kid is home because their school has been shut but you need to be home to look after them - you get nothing.

What if you have to self isolate for 14 days but don't have enough sick leave (in Aus sick leave is accumulated - you have none on day one when you start)

You need to work from home but don't have internet at home or a work mobile to tether from? They are among us...!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Nothing's been announced yet here other than some planning for invoking business continuity stuff. We have been asked to look at how we can get a working solution for some roles who have never been able to work from home before although there's a very real possibility that might get impacted because of a lack of suitable end user hardware now due to shortages kicking in - supply chain stuff but also the amount of laptops and tablets being bought up by people and companies who are facing the exact same challenge.

Was at a gig in Glasgow last night and have tickets for the Rangers v Bayer game tonight which is also looking like they're going to let fans in which has surprised me...
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

BBC news are reporting a strong possibility of moving to the next stage of response today so expect events, schools etc to start closing down.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Our policy has shifted overnight, and reading the comments here it looks like the we're exercising the most caution.

Being a 90% mobile workforce anyway, and we also provide the remote access technology ourselves on our own network, it's easy for people to work from home.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
evostick

Post by evostick »

Off to the races with the kids today. Surprised that it's still going ahead tbh. Pretty sure it'd be cancelled a week further down the line.

Always gone with the FIL in previous years. He's isolating himself though as is 70 with a heart condition. I don't blame him.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I see Tom Hanks has got it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

C496D8C3-2625-4FD9-9A38-6AB6D1194AFD.jpeg
C496D8C3-2625-4FD9-9A38-6AB6D1194AFD.jpeg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

The news for the next several weeks is going to be "X celebrity has coronavirus"
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

For the first time I am actually thinking about how this will impact my work. People aren't signing off proofs for new product labels. We do loads for shopping centres so can't see that going well in the next few months. And then the manpower to produce things and deliver them - how can that happen when they are all at home looking after their children?
Barry

Post by Barry »

We've had travel lockdown on for a week or so, IT stockpiling login keys for WFH situation, and the obvious "wash your fking hands" posters everywhere. They even handed out hand gel yesterday.

I think its time to start taking this seriously on a personal level, limiting social interactions etc. Annoyingly I've got a trackday tomorrow, and a pub/birthday party for a mates wife on Sat - which we've already discussed postponing (100+ invited, smalll rural pub - not ideal). The trackday would probably be fine, most of it will be spent out in the open, and wearing a motorcycle helmet!

I'm starting to think about a sneaky late night shopping run to stock the larder up, in case I get stuck at home for two weeks, I noticed last visit that the soap aisle was already cleared out but I'm more concerned when panic buying moves into main food stuff.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Explosive Newt wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 am The news for the next several weeks is going to be "ex-celebrity had coronavirus"
:shock:
tim

Post by tim »

I was on blood bike duty last night - I moved 2 sus Covid-19 samples and we moved 11 as a group across the county. Being turned out 3 times in a night is unheard of, but I suspect it will get busier yet.

Since I WFH anyway and my major client is on an island in the Bahamas it's very much business as usual. Even if the kids' school gets closed it's not going to make a lot of difference to me.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Barry wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:01 am Login keys
?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
tim

Post by tim »

I'm guessing dongles to permit vpn access
Beany

Post by Beany »

unzippy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:08 am
?
I'm gonna guess cryptokeys for 2FA. Remember cryptokeys? For people who didn't want to go to the expense of setting up an SMS gateway for SMS 2FA?

At my last place we used Ubikeys for everything, they work pretty well.
Last edited by Beany on Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

unzippy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:08 am
?
It’s good practice to use 2 factor authentication for VPN access, so companies often use either physical code generators (like the old RSA tokens) or USB-based keys that generate a code on demand (eg ubikey)
Middle-aged Dirtbag