Brittany and Normandy trip

speedingfine

Re: Brittany and Normandy trip

Post by speedingfine »

Duncs:

Autocom motorbike sets do come up on eBay S/H quite often for ~£80 but apparently the best solution is to put the headphone pads insude Peltor headsets, not sure how she'd like looking like a rally refugee :)
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Nice 8-) I’m off to Chamonix and Frejus in a couple of weeks.

Do you think it’s worth getting a Télépéage tag?
Marv

Post by Marv »

240PP wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:44 am Nice 8-) I’m off to Chamonix and Frejus in a couple of weeks.

If you intend on regularly visit France, yes.

If it's a one off visit, no.
Oui, je suis un motard.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Define regularly - I lived there and never bothered.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Travelling on your own?? - Yes

Else, no.

(IMO)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah yeah true - probably a pain in a RHD car if travelling solo.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Marv wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:54 am
240PP wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:44 am Nice 8-) I’m off to Chamonix and Frejus in a couple of weeks.

If you intend on regularly visit France, yes.

If it's a one off visit, no.
Marv is correct, unless you've got a car that's a complete PITA like mine (too low, harnesses, limbo to get in and out of)
Marv

Post by Marv »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:46 am Define regularly - I lived there and never bothered.
Once or twice a year, for a few weeks.

Didn't you live in Paris?
Oui, je suis un motard.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I did but spent a lot of time on the autoroutes.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Luggage tip - your rear rollbar arrangement is similar to mine. I discovered that a US police "tactical" bag is almost exactly the correct dimensions to fit between the diagonal supports. So I bought one like this
(although mine was only £30 IIRC).
I paid the local tailoring/adjustments shop to sew on half a dozen little tabs round the top, and made mini-bungees using a reel of bungee cord and duffel coat toggles. That way you can secure it all round to the rollbar cross pieces.

Don't know if your under-dash arrangement is the same, but mine has a cavity above the passenger footwell big enough for a mid-sized rucksack, so I've fitted little tabs that I can attach a cargo net to.

Finally (and you might already be using this space), I've got a mini toolkit (leatherman, dumbell spanner, tank tape, cable ties) in a gents washbag (so its waterproof) velcro'd to the back of the transmission tunnel.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ingenious Nef...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Marv

Post by Marv »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 pm I did but spent a lot of time on the autoroutes.
Fair enough.

A Télépéage tag is handy though. Especially now many more autoroutes have the toll lane where you can go through at 30kph if you have a tag.
Oui, je suis un motard.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Tbh I used to enjoy the racing starts away from the toll booths 😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

If you don’t hammer it away from EVERY toll booth to at least 20 mph above the limit, then go ‘Ok enough of that for now’ and drop back a bit...

Then you’ve given up on driving
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Nefarious wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:10 pm Luggage tip - your rear rollbar arrangement is similar to mine. I discovered that a US police "tactical" bag is almost exactly the correct dimensions to fit between the diagonal supports. So I bought one like this
(although mine was only £30 IIRC).
I paid the local tailoring/adjustments shop to sew on half a dozen little tabs round the top, and made mini-bungees using a reel of bungee cord and duffel coat toggles. That way you can secure it all round to the rollbar cross pieces.

Don't know if your under-dash arrangement is the same, but mine has a cavity above the passenger footwell big enough for a mid-sized rucksack, so I've fitted little tabs that I can attach a cargo net to.

Finally (and you might already be using this space), I've got a mini toolkit (leatherman, dumbell spanner, tank tape, cable ties) in a gents washbag (so its waterproof) velcro'd to the back of the transmission tunnel.
Cheers Nef

I did have a waterproof bag that went between the bars of the rollcage, but didn't have much rear vision, does that one lie flat particularly? Nice alternative to the RE bag I linked to from SBFS.

Alas under dash is different on my car.

Great minds think alike, my mini tool kit is a ladies wasbag with similar items also velcro'd above the transmission but under the bonnet :D
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:06 pm Cheers Nef

I did have a waterproof bag that went between the bars of the rollcage, but didn't have much rear vision, does that one lie flat particularly? Nice alternative to the RE bag I linked to from SBFS.
Rear visibility is somewhat compromised - the bag is massive (that's the point, so it can fit all Mrs. Nef's crap!). That said my rear visibility is pretty crap anyway (no windscreen, so RVM is dash mounted - very low and vibrates to hell). On the other hand, my wing mirrors stick out a lot further - ebay specials, designed for some big Kawasaki, £12 - go some way to making up!

One other thing I noticed from your pics - that fire extinguisher doesn't look very accessible when you're fully loaded!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"