Your fleet running reports

Nathan

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Nathan »

Harry - have you seen that red Rover 100 with the VVC fitted for £500 ?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Moderate success yesterday. Car is back on the ground and moves under its own power but not really driveable:

IMG_6935.jpg
IMG_6935.jpg (126.94 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

As you can see, the new exhausts are not fitted yet ! To attach them there is a hanger & a mount on each side. One of my mounts is damaged but repairable. Both the hangers are badly rusted. After doing some research on replacements, which are insanely expensive from Porsche (nearly a grand for the four parts), I have ordered some s/h ones from California. They don't have rust out there. At about £250 inc. shipping & duty they're in better condition & cheaper than any s/h ones I can find over here. But they will take a week or two to arrive :(

I had more success with the springs. I picked up some X74 springs last year, these were the hardest / lowest factory option. Rears went on nice and easily although I noticed one of the dampers is leaking. Time to research replacements. Flavour du jour on the 996 forum is Ohlins but I'm not spending that much money. Bilsteins are more my thing.

After all that, today I am f'kin knackered. Just need to pop the front springs on an I'll call it a day.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:07 amBut they will take a week or two to arrive :(
Now imagine that with LITERALLY* EVERYTHING YOU EVER BUY, and that's what it's like here.

* OK, not literally, but most things. It's often quicker to order online and wait than it is to try and find it locally. Whatever "it" is.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nathan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 am Harry - have you seen that red Rover 100 with the VVC fitted for £500 ?
No, and I darent look, too much scrap already.

I don't really want the vvc engine out of the brm, I might use the head eventually with conventional cams, but it's just spares really.

Tempted to just chuck the existing setup into the white one and get it useable, the lsd box setup isn't straightforward and want to make sure it's done properly.
Cheers, Harry
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Popped front springs on. Nice & easy, you don't even need to fully remove the strut, drop the top mount down and there's just about enough space to wiggle them out.

Popped the wheels back on, dropped it to the ground and popped some tyre black on to get rid of the traces of release agent and tyre fitting gunk. Popped into the garage to tidy up a bit and retrieve the bits I needed to pop the lights & rear bumper on. The back should sit a little lower once the new exhaust is on. Looking pretty good so far:

IMG_6950.jpg
IMG_6950.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
Put everything away, had some lunch and now I'm sitting here enjoying a glass of pop and some pop music.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:38 pm Popped front springs on. Nice & easy, you don't even need to fully remove the strut, drop the top mount down and there's just about enough space to wiggle them out.

Popped the wheels back on, dropped it to the ground and popped some tyre black on to get rid of the traces of release agent and tyre fitting gunk. Popped into the garage to tidy up a bit and retrieve the bits I needed to pop the lights & rear bumper on. The back should sit a little lower once the new exhaust is on. Looking pretty good so far:

IMG_6950.jpg

Put everything away, had some lunch and now I'm sitting here enjoying a glass of pop and some pop music.
That’s probably the best looking 996 I’ve seen. 👍
Cheers,

Ian
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:38 pm
IMG_6950.jpg
X74! Looking purposeful 8-)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Swapped my tyres front to back so those with more tread on are at the front. Ready to need all four replaced after Bedford. Slow puncture (0.1-0.2 bar/week loss) in the rear left (now front left) was a screw in the tyre, now repaired.
Left over crest; tightens.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The rover has moved, and now has a free roll down the drive, which may be interesting as I don't think the brakes actually work any more.

With a bar on the hub nut and my immense muscles it wasn't actually too bad to move about once I'd rocked it out of the ruts it had sunk into over the past few years.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

The hottest May bank holiday weekend since records began has pushed me, gently, tenderly, into the direction of getting the aircon on the Mondeo fixed.

In other news, it cruises quite well at a GPS indicated 120 mph. Quite a lot quieter at 100. Drinks a *lot* less fuel at 75 though.

I imagine the 'distance remaining' meter has a degree of heuristics in it, and it's not reckoning I'll get 680 miles per tank. Haven't managed to do a tank above 40mpg yet so I'm dubious, but hey, never know.

Otherwise, it just keeps ticking.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 pm The hottest May bank holiday weekend since records began has pushed me, gently, tenderly, into the direction of getting the aircon on the Mondeo fixed.

In other news, it cruises quite well at a GPS indicated 120 mph. Quite a lot quieter at 100. Drinks a *lot* less fuel at 75 though.

I imagine the 'distance remaining' meter has a degree of heuristics in it, and it's not reckoning I'll get 680 miles per tank. Haven't managed to do a tank above 40mpg yet so I'm dubious, but hey, never know.

Re: Aircon - it's likely the condenser. Easy enough to change for a pattern part for £40 (like I did) but get a friendly aircon guy to leak test it first.

The 'distance remaining' seems to be based on your mpg for the last 20 miles or so and the amount of fuel left in the tank. Do lots of town driving and the distance remaining will drop. Do a few miles gently on some A roads and your distance remaining will likely be more than when you started.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Simon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:28 am
Beany wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 pm The hottest May bank holiday weekend since records began has pushed me, gently, tenderly, into the direction of getting the aircon on the Mondeo fixed.

Re: Aircon - it's likely the condenser. Easy enough to change for a pattern part for £40 (like I did) but get a friendly aircon guy to leak test it first.

The 'distance remaining' seems to be based on your mpg for the last 20 miles or so and the amount of fuel left in the tank. Do lots of town driving and the distance remaining will drop. Do a few miles gently on some A roads and your distance remaining will likely be more than when you started.
The real question is whether your fuel gauge drops pre-emptively when you clog it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Enjoying the Porsche updates SJ, I think most of us have dreamed of fitting daft bits to a 911 at some stage :mrgreen: 8-) I trust an emergency start video will be forthcoming when the exhausts have been fitted?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:31 pm Image

Halfway to firey death :D plus a little over 6k in my ownership.

Driving around the Cotswolds was glorious this afternoon. Great to get an opportunity to drive it how it was meant to be driven without having to get up at 6am!
You use your trip meter to record how many miles you've done since you bought it? Mentalist. Reset when you fill with fuel :laugh:

The Cotswold roads were quieter on Sunday than yesterday for us. Hope your journey home wasn't too trafficked!
John

Post by John »

I've been enjoying roof down motoring in the mx5 in this lovely weather. The hard top is quite insulating but with the roof down I was surprised how raspy the exhaust is with the odd pop thrown in for good measure :D Standard back box but four branch manifold, not sure what the middle section is.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:28 am

Yeah, if there's a leak, then there's no point trying to top it up with a can of refrigerant, and if there's not an leak, a vacuum test would show off any poor connections etc.

As for the range meter, it's never shown more than 600 miles remaining before and I've not really changed my routes, just my driving style, so I'm wondering if it's got some historical tables it refers to, to compliment the primary (last 20-50 miles) to try to make it more 'accurate'.

Doubt I'll get more than 600 miles to a tank though, it's too easy to just whip up to a ton to blast past a few dawdlers, I dare say bursts of 11mpg will have an impact in there ;-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

BTW don't go the 'halfords can of AC refrigerant' route. AC refrigerant goes by weight, not pressure. Get a pro to fill it.

Also, you'll need some lubricant, at least for the o-rings. And if you're changing the condenser it doesn't hurt to pre-fill that with some lubricant too.

Good thread here which I followed. Links are old now and likely dead, but the principle is correct.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 am
GG. wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Halfway to firey death :D plus a little over 6k in my ownership.

Driving around the Cotswolds was glorious this afternoon. Great to get an opportunity to drive it how it was meant to be driven without having to get up at 6am!
You use your trip meter to record how many miles you've done since you bought it? Mentalist. Reset when you fill with fuel :laugh:

The Cotswold roads were quieter on Sunday than yesterday for us. Hope your journey home wasn't too trafficked!
Well... I did use it for that purpose until yesterday when in the course of playing driving Freddie managed to reset it :(

The drive up to Oxford on Saturday morning was predictably awful taking 2hr 20m from London! As it turned out we had to set off back early yesterday as I had a couple of calls I needed to be on so the traffic was pretty non-existent and we managed the trip in a little over 90 minutes.

As you say, the Cotswolds seemed pretty sleepy Sunday afternoon as I guess most people were in the pub. I took my father in law out for a blat in the countryside and by chance we ended up on the road Harry M uses for his videos (B4437 west of Charlbury). He drives a 2006 1.6l diesel V70 - though is a motorsport fan and was regaling me with stories about his hero Roy Salvadori. I think the experience of a 911 driven in anger on B-roads was slightly mind altering from his perspective :lol:

He said the biggest shock was not actually the handling, etc. but simply the overtaking - he was looking at life from the perspective of an overtake at 40 or 50mph taking 10+ seconds so getting to appreciate you can do it in 3 seconds kind of re-wires your mind as to what and when you can pass safely :D
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

John wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:12 am I've been enjoying roof down motoring in the mx5 in this lovely weather. The hard top is quite insulating but with the roof down I was surprised how raspy the exhaust is with the odd pop thrown in for good measure :D Standard back box but four branch manifold, not sure what the middle section is.
8-)

Is it feeling fast after the C63 and it presumably being linear power delivery with the supercharger?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Simon wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 amAlso, you'll need some lubricant, at least for the o-rings.
What if there's no time for lubricant?