The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

ste

Re: The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Post by ste »

...except Harry Metcalfe was exposed for his Spectre 110 being as authentic as his GT2. This time it actually appeared that he'd been duped though and thought it was the proper film car until Andy Bruce pointed out that he had the real one. Andy's was recently for sale, was ~£200k IIRC?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah, I didn't know Harry's was a fake one. Must've been pissed at that :). I knew Andy Bruce had one, didn't know it was for sale.

Is there just the one genuine one out in the world?
An absolute unit
ste

Post by ste »

I think the thing was, Harry's turned out to be a similar one used for promotion. The ones in the film were development cars from JLR and weren't actually ever road legal. Andy got one of the proper film ones, rebuilt it from damage it had taken in filminbng and put it through SVA etc.
ste

Post by ste »

In fact, I may have some of that wrong, I think I was pissed when he told me. I do remember there was a fuss about Metcalfes not being a real one. THis one sold for £230k last year: https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ ... tre/430542
ste

Post by ste »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Cool, that's pretty interesting (to me at least).

I wonder if anyone who owns one has asked JLR to put the Jag V8 in it now that they've done that special edition, even with the Bowler mods the diesel engine doesn't seem right :). I guess it would just be a collection piece to most people though.
An absolute unit
Marv

Post by Marv »

ste wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 am ...except Harry Metcalfe was exposed for his Spectre 110 being as authentic as his GT2. This time it actually appeared that he'd been duped though and thought it was the proper film car until Andy Bruce pointed out that he had the real one. Andy's was recently for sale, was ~£200k IIRC?
With his 993 Turbo, he was always open that it's not a GT2. Was he not open about the Spectre 110 then? I thought his car had a framed plaque and everyfink that it appeared in the movie (my memory might fail me on that one though).
Oui, je suis un motard.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Talking about RS6s, you can get 2012-2013 S8s for <30k now, I bet they're easy to get to similar power as I assume it's the same engine.

I actually prefer the idea of a 700bhp S8 if I'm honest....although I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to actually commit to buying one.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

New M5 is 1.2s quicker to 100mph than a stock RS6 Rich. Autocar tested it in damp conditions and compared it to dry Audi figures so it might be even quicker like for like..

I’m looking at buying a GT3 (manual 997.2 ideally). Problem is, I’ve just told the wife we can spend a bit more on a new house and can’t see the GT3 happening at the same time. Maybe, by the time I can afford it again, a 570S/650S will be attainable, or a manual V10 R8... Obviously, lots of test drives required to see what I prefer. I did consider updating the Spider to 16M spec, but I don’t want it to lose its “pop out for lunch in the country” usability.

I also want a Wolf LR, a new P400 RR, a Bentley Conti T, a GTC4 Lusso etc etc
Cheers,

Ian
PreacherCain

Post by PreacherCain »

Hoo. Difficult one, this. I have now reached an age where literally nothing available new from any manufacturer really interests me.

1) 968 CS
2) 911 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera
3) translunar mileage G-Wagen with ratty, plastic interior, or a first-gen Disco, same
4) if pushed - a 928GT or, in the event of lottery win, a manual GTS.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Following on from the "some kind of classic", my wife says she'd like "a noddy car", which by process of Google image and elimination, is an Austin 7 like this:

They're cute, but I bet they're pretty horrible to drive.
John

Post by John »

I'd love something like that for jaunts into the peaks on summer days. I suspect the reality might not be so nice, as you said.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Reminds me to get on the insurance on my in-laws' Morris Minors.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

I have minus700 interest in owning anything like that. :?
Holley

Post by Holley »

Still hanker after a 997 or V8 Vantage; come close a couple of times but always end up doing something sensible with the money instead. Wonder if my approaching 40th will give way to a crisis and just get one!

Next door neighbours 40th gift to himself was a supercharged nomad. Wasn't jealous at all lol
GG.

Post by GG. »

mik wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:02 pm I have minus700 interest in owning anything like that. :?
It's an interesting point, isn't it - what is the cut off for the earliest car you'd be interested in owning?

1948 seems to be the cusp of 'modern' sporting motoring. I'd most definitely be interested in something like an XK120 or an early Porsche 356 for example. Most of the saloon cars of that era (i.e. BMW, Mercedes) are still running board, bechromed tosh however. '48 also saw the introduction of the Land Rover too if you're looking at the more utilitarian end of the scale.

I suppose I would also be interested in a Blower Bentley from the 1920s but I'd have to have a pretty large collection already to want to spend my cash on that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I have a fairly specific time frame for cars that I like, mid 60's to late 90's. Basically from when they started to look like modern cars but before everything got really electronic.

I like Land Rovers but even then I'm not that fussed about having anything older than a Series 3.
An absolute unit
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:02 pm I have minus700 interest in owning anything like that. :?
The only time I'd consider owning something pre-49 would be if it was a hot rod, otherwise I have no interest whatsoever.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

If I had a very, very, very large collection and money was no object I'd probably buy a Darracq 200hp just for shits and giggles so that set the cut off for me at, er... 1905 :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

IanF wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:32 pm New M5 is 1.2s quicker to 100mph than a stock RS6 Rich. Autocar tested it in damp conditions and compared it to dry Audi figures so it might be even quicker like for like..

I’m looking at buying a GT3 (manual 997.2 ideally). Problem is, I’ve just told the wife we can spend a bit more on a new house and can’t see the GT3 happening at the same time. Maybe, by the time I can afford it again, a 570S/650S will be attainable, or a manual V10 R8... Obviously, lots of test drives required to see what I prefer. I did consider updating the Spider to 16M spec, but I don’t want it to lose its “pop out for lunch in the country” usability.

I also want a Wolf LR, a new P400 RR, a Bentley Conti T, a GTC4 Lusso etc etc
Is the extra spending on the new house for some of these?

I'm seriously considering an L322 Range Rover for my next car now. Idly looking for something, a few supercharged ones popped up and they appeal so much; they fit almost all the criteria I had set (not as economical as I'd like, and probably not something you'd take for a fun drive for the hell of it). I ought to be worried about them breaking but I can't help but still be tempted. You're a hell of a lot more sanguine about a car you like costing something in repairs.