The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The idle dreaming “what next” thread.

Post by Rich B »

Marv wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 pm
240PP wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 pm

I see an R8 on my horizon. A sort-of supercar with semi-reasonable running costs. Wouldn't be a daily but very useable all the same. Priced well too.

Just to make Rich a bit more angry, I've read that R8's can be pretty expensive to run....putting CSL specific parts out of the equation, I'd expect an R8 to be a reasonable amount more to run than my M3 (which in reality, it probably should be)
well the V8 is out of the RS4, which is roughly the same as a Veyron to run. The internet says so.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 pm

I see an R8 on my horizon. A sort-of supercar with semi-reasonable running costs. Wouldn't be a daily but very useable all the same. Priced well too.

Just to make Rich a bit more angry, I've read that R8's can be pretty expensive to run....putting CSL specific parts out of the equation, I'd expect an R8 to be a reasonable amount more to run than my M3 (which in reality, it probably should be)
well the V8 is out of the RS4, which is roughly the same as a Veyron to run. The internet says so.
That's the one 😎
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

And sleeping around with people means you are more likely to catch herpes... is it state the obvious day?
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

I used to like the R8 v8, until the v10 was released. And I MUCH prefer the series1 to the current model.

Scottish driving buddy just sold his Manuel v10 - it sounded absolutely epic.

Martin - English driving buddy of BenB got a black Manuel v10 last year though. It looks amazing, but is on std pipes - which is a shame. But I absolutely love it. 😎

As a reminder:
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Daily driver, and vaguely realistic: 650i GC (but for the N63 issues), CLS63 Shooting Brake, Infiniti FX50/QX70 5L V8.

Garage toy to tinker with, possibly within the realms of realism (if it fits in the garage): Something old and Jap, in particular a Celica TA22 or 28 with something more interesting dropped in the front. Honda S600 . Or possibly something old and German. Or a DS. Or a CX. Orrrr, a new A110

Would like but outside the bounds of realism: Pantera, early 70s 911, 914/6, '68 Charger, '67 Firebird, '78 Trans-Am and any number of other yank stuff from that era. Also an SM

Dream-on territory: P1, 388GTO, F40 (obvs).

I know I've strayed from the true intent of the thread but I spend a lot of time daydreaming!
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Best order those crushed walnut shells now Marv.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JonMad wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:12 pm After the legendary Rolling Road/Costco meet at the weekend I showed my wife the pictures and she did say she liked the little car (Duncs' 7) but wasn't sure how safe she'd feel in it. So there's an in for me to look at those as a future Megane replacement.
8-) Terribly safe Jon, there's a wealth of anecdotal evidence out there.;)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Sorted then Duncs.

Back to Land Rovers...
ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm I think 110 crewcabs look cool, 130s just don't look good. Initial plan was to get a 90 pickup with the centre seat so I could take the 2 boys, but my daughter now joins us so need the crewcab. The bed would be more for other jobs - collecting chicken feed / straw etc and the small one would be fine.

I'd also need to measure the height of a Defender. I know the places we go they can generally get under the barriers but it's close and would depend on tyres and suspension that's fitted.
I think I saw one of these last night. Did look great. Short, squat. Massive tyres. Dark grey with lots of that shiny metal pannelling on it (I can't remember the proper term). Winch on the front.

Which got me thinking, what would/could you actually use a winch for? Towing other vehicles out of stuck situations? Tieing it round a tree and pulling yourself out of somewhere?
Left over crest; tightens.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

That shiny paneling = durbar plate?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:07 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:19 am I just want to get the 500e back to a high standard and then use it for a fair weather toy.
Dave!
You've been saying that for forever now mate; is it getting any closer or is life still proving to be an obstacle?
Life, house, kids :lol:

The eldest starts school in September and the youngest will then be in pre-school so that’s nearly £1000 a month we will be better off. The house is nearly done so I have a few more projects before I can throw money at my own stuff. Building a space bed is the current one.

Life would be easier and massively cheaper if I didn’t like my kids :twisted:

Dave!
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:49 am That shiny paneling = durbar plate?
bingo! (I never knew it was called that, rather than just having forgotten)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

ste wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm I'd also need to measure the height of a Defender.
I used to have a 110 hardtop and it was near as dammit 2m. A touch taller than me. You can see in the pic it's a lot bigger than the Frontera. It *just* squeezed under the door into my current garage, where I'm able walk through easily. My T4 is comfortably shorter than me , maybe 1.8m, although it is lowered slightly. And not a 4x4.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

JonMad wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:59 am
what would/could you actually use a winch for? Towing other vehicles out of stuck situations? Tieing it round a tree and pulling yourself out of somewhere?
Both, some people make a sport of trying to winch themselves over terrain that the vehicle wouldn't manage unaided.

TBF, these days most Defenders you see with the wheels, winches, rollcages and so on are show ponies. Bought by townies in flat caps that want to pretend they're country :).

If you see a S1 Disco with a lift kit and a winch that's more likely to be a well used off road vehicle.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am

TBF, these days most Defenders you see with the wheels, winches, rollcages and so on are show ponies. Bought by townies in flat caps that want to pretend they're country :).
#MitoCock :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nah I use mine for Forestry, just ordered a trailer on Saturday for it.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:19 am

I saw one pass me in Wilmslow this week, with rope running from top of the A-pillar, down the bonnet line, around the grill and back up the other side. Amongst all the other faux "one life, live it" cr4p obviously. It looked fvcking tragic. I suppose it helps them stand out in the sea of Range Rovers when they drop their spawn off at school though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The rope thing is a copy of the Spectre film car, I see one chugging around Sloane Square most days of the week and they do look awful.
...easy way for dealers to double the markup by adding some tat though https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ctre&M=403
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Could you imagine being enough of a cunt to think that spending £70k on this bullshit is reasonable.

A THOR "Spectre Edition" 110 based on the latest James Bond film, "Spectre"; created by our in-house "Rich Brit Bespoke Vehicle Systems".
An absolute unit
JonMad

Post by JonMad »

Makes the £41k one seem almost reasonsable (aside from the 'Rich Brit' embossed dash, and the rope). Prices of these are all over the place aren't they :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, it's basically whatever they can get away with. Apparently the legit Spectre ones like the one Harry Metcalfe has are £100k+.

Defenders are almost always valued too high imo. The only way you get a bargain is if you buy one that needs a lot of work or are lucky at an ex military auction.
An absolute unit