Footpump recommendation?

John

Footpump recommendation?

Post by John »

What's good?

My last pump was a Michelin branded effort from Halfords and although it worked the quality wasn't all there with the rubber pipe shooting off the pump body being the most memorable incident :o

I've got an electric pump but prefer a bit of leg action.
Simon

Re: Footpump recommendation?

Post by Simon »

I feel your pain. I went through a few before I settled on this Heyner. It's the only one that's actually lasted and not bent from use. Also picked up one of these to keep the gauge honest, although the one on the pump is pretty good to be fair.

The bag the pump comes with is lined with velcro on a couple of edges so it just stays in the boot of the car.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've got a Michelin one, it's been fine, but contrary to you I find myself wondering why I'm bothering with the effort when an electric one would be easier.:)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 am I've got a Michelin one, it's been fine, but contrary to you I find myself wondering why I'm bothering with the effort when an electric one would be easier.:)
Electric ones are like PlayStation Duncs. You’re missing out on the full analogue connection while pumping.

You need that analogue pump connection.
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 am I've got a Michelin one, it's been fine, but contrary to you I find myself wondering why I'm bothering with the effort when an electric one would be easier.:)
Don't you chaps have tyre inflation devices at the same place where you buy petrol?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am
Don't you chaps have tyre inflation devices at the same place where you buy petrol?
I've got 4 vehicles. It's much quicker to just check them all at the same time once a month than take each one to the petrol station one at a time. I'd have thought this would be something familiar to you with your fleet.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

I much prefer to use a footpump, but I had that cool looking Michelin job - which lasted no time. It was followed by two other heavy-duty twin barrel pumps which were better, but only lasted a year or so each.

A bit frustrated, I bought an electric job about 6m ago. It is still working...
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Compressor FTW.

As an aside, my separate gauge broke when I dropped it so I've just bought this. Really chunky and well made https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00W3H ... b_pd_title
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I have the Michelin one. Looks good and has a big brand name but it’s a bit shit. I had a nail in my tyre for about 4 months before getting it repaired so used it a fair amount!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Surely evonomics dictates a £400 3hp 100l compressor with 20m retractable hose and snap on inflator is the only way to go?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I bought this thing from Costco about 8 years ago
We had a thread on this years ago and I think it was Jobbo who said using a jump starter for inflating the tyres would kill the battery pretty quickly but it’s still going.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

There doesn't seem to be a quality item left in the market, my dad was going through 1 a year regardless of how much they cost.

Compressor all the way.
John

Post by John »

Simon wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:29 am I feel your pain. I went through a few before I settled on this Heyner. It's the only one that's actually lasted and not bent from use. Also picked up one of these to keep the gauge honest, although the one on the pump is pretty good to be fair.

The bag the pump comes with is lined with velcro on a couple of edges so it just stays in the boot of the car.
I'll check out the Heyner, thanks.

I've also already got a compressor, hasn't everyone on here? ;)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:26 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am
I've got 4 vehicles. It's much quicker to just check them all at the same time once a month than take each one to the petrol station one at a time. I'd have thought this would be something familiar to you with your fleet.
I just wait for a tyre to delaminate at speed then think about checking the others, then forget.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

John wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:46 amI've got an electric pump but prefer a bit of leg action.
Bizarre. Get an electric one with a digital gauge. Then you don't even need to keep an eye on it, just set it going and it automatically cuts off when it reaches the right pressure.

I have one of THESE, had it years, works really well.
John

Post by John »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:00 pm
John wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:46 amI've got an electric pump but prefer a bit of leg action.
Bizarre.
I also use the stairs when escalators are available :D
John

Post by John »

Keeping up the forum tradition of ignoring all advice given I have bought an Aldi pump.
Simon

Post by Simon »

See you back here in 6 months then.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I've had a Halfords double pump for the last 2-3 years. Worked fine. And it means I get to skip leg day.

I had an electric pump with the Merc and it was a loud as fuck. Would wake the street up.
ste

Post by ste »

I have a Porsche branded compressor that I knicked from a 944 boot before I sold it. It's ace. That's my usual one I'll take to a trackday.

re. actual footpumps, I've found a cycling track pump does a better job. Less effort and pumps up quicker.