EOTR - Mondeo Tit-X TD SI edition

Beany

EOTR - Mondeo Tit-X TD SI edition

Post by Beany »

Seriously Impressive edition, obviously.

So, 10k and nine months, whats to like about a Mondeo?

Well, quite a lot. It's comfy, quiet, good heater and aircon, very good (premium) sound with the sub, frugal on a run, not too bad around town (50 and 30 respectively), decent punch, can get past 100mph with relative ease, even moreso post remap.

Bad things? None really, other than it being a big, fairly heavy estate, which blunts the handling but still gives it enough poise to be useful on a backroad if you want to make progress.

Costs? Fuel, oil and filters. Literally all it needed. I remapped it but that's not really a 'cost', that was me playing silly buggers, but it defintely helped make the car more usable, with the turbo spooling up a lot earlier and delivering the torque over a much wider spread than previously.

The interior is nice and as I currently have the E46, you can see where the influences bled into the Mk4 Mondeo - very similar in terms of switchgear and layout and general feel and function. Seats were comfy and grippy (mmm, alcantara), with little flashes of metal-like trim.

Overall, if I needed another big car again, it'd be well up the list. But I think I'll stick to fun things for now.

Sold to a chap who does length-of-the-country tips four or five times a year, to replace a Vectra that's been written off after being T-boned. I think he'll be happy with it. I mean, when I was doing Leeds to Herts every weekend, it turned that journey into an absolute 'nothing' of a trip. Bang on the cruise control, turn up the tunes, and roll down the road, with the occasional flex up to a ton to get past dawdlers. Nice.
Zonda_

Re: EOTR - Mondeo Tit-X TD SI edition

Post by Zonda_ »

What year was it, what did you sell it for £? I'm looking at options for when the 4 Series goes?
Beany

Post by Beany »

2008, and in the end, £2125, which is less than I wanted, but I wanted it gone. It also needed front tyres which aren't cheap, etc etc.

£2500 will get you a decent one, less for an ex-taxi.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beany wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pmwith the turbo spooling up a lot earlier
This confuses me. How can a remap lower the boost threshold of a turbo?
Beany

Post by Beany »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:01 pm
Beany wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pmwith the turbo spooling up a lot earlier
This confuses me. How can a remap lower the boost threshold of a turbo?
Different varable vane triggers or something? IE at full throttle from low, it fully operates the vanes; with the remap, it does that on part throttle to get it spun up faster?

I see what you're saying though, it can't make the turbo spool up before there's enough exhaust gas etc, but it definitely gets more torque, sooner, after the remap.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Opening them more would make the turbo "bigger" - i.e. more lag. Not questioning it, just interested really.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It’s possible it was torque restricting at low rpm to save load on the clutch and gearbox and/or noise testing and the remap has removed that. The MG Metro Turbo used to do that and only allow full boost over about 4K rpm.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yep, very good point. OK my mind is at peace now.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Please post your crappiest photos of this vehicle Beany, I'll feel cheated otherwise.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

More fuel, more boost, it's how we improve response on our sets.

Dave!