Range Rovers

Broccers

Range Rovers

Post by Broccers »

Been looking along with a n other forum member recently at late l322s and I can't help but think they are going to be an absolute financial disaster.

The early ones on the facebook group seem to fall apart or break every day so will the same happen with later ones as they too rust away and fail?

Anyway they look nice for the money :)
Foz

Re: Range Rovers

Post by Foz »

Been looking into L405's for the past week or, I don't think i have ever seen a car with with variances in pricing over comparable cars!

If you are considering them, don't drive one..
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Funny you should mention this, just yesterday I looked at the Discovery forum to see what s/h prices are for an - I assume - enthusiast owned / well maintained D3 / D4.

No surprises on the prices but almost every advert had a looong list of recent (expensive) work carried out, and a list of jobs still needing to be done. That's rather off-putting.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

The L405 is huge, you just can’t comfortably park in my town. Which is a shame as they are utterly gorgeous to be in and drive.

The L322 is also great, imo better looking but still has issues. I test drove 2 and both broke down on the test drive. I decided the running costs would be too great if all jobs had to go to a mechanic.

The D3 seems to throw £1000 bills at you on a quarterly basis.

The D4 is lovely, a decent step up from the D3 but the 2 owned by friends of mine do worse mileage than my 5.0V8 so the appeal has waned. They are fantastic family vehicles though for people who do more than just use it for the shops.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Love the new ones but again read horror stories on those too. Theres a thread on PH in the Land Rover forum by a guy who had 2 newer ones and both were awful so he sold up. If they aren't right for that sort of money these days then it doesn't bode well for the older 90k plus uns.

I'd be happy with bills paid like leaky oil coolers, egr, new turbos, air bags..... rust ..... they do look nice tho :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Broccers on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

If a Land Cruiser is the paragon of reliability that its Toyota badge suggests it should be, is it anywhere near the 'nice place to be' that the larger LR/RRs are?
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

We must have been very lucky with our D3 and D4. One bill in the £1k range for each. D3 was great. D4 was greater.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

JonMad wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 pm If a Land Cruiser is the paragon of reliability that its Toyota badge suggests it should be, is it anywhere near the 'nice place to be' that the larger LR/RRs are?
An actual Land Cruiser isn’t shabby but the EU spec Prado ‘Land Cruiser’ is shit.
How about not having a sig at all?
hoyleyboyley

Post by hoyleyboyley »

Really love the look of the L322 - but as you say some seem to be a money pit.

I've been offered a 3.6 in an almost prefect spec for what seems like 'too good to be true' money but am holding off for now. :geek:
Foz

Post by Foz »

2017 Cars (the last ones before the face-lift- the velar style 2 screens) seem to offer the best "value" as they are significantly cheaper than new cars and make the older stuff seem expensive.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

JonMad wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:51 pm If a Land Cruiser is the paragon of reliability that its Toyota badge suggests it should be, is it anywhere near the 'nice place to be' that the larger LR/RRs are?
Nope. And that's me saying that, and you all know I'm an LC fanboy.

Nowhere is as nice to be as a Range Rover.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am

Just means with the RR you are comfortable while waiting to be recovered or recovering from open wallet surgery.

Sounds like my Navara although troublesome for a Jap car is nowhere near as bad as an RR for reliability, it's OK to be in (heated electric leather, etc) but also no RR, it's had it's issues but never left us stranded.

Carl.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Foz wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:30 am 2017 Cars (the last ones before the face-lift- the velar style 2 screens) seem to offer the best "value" as they are significantly cheaper than new cars and make the older stuff seem expensive.
And they don’t have the hideous facelift rear lights which look like they’ve come from a kids cartoon.
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:34 am

Fair enough. I’ve never even sat in a RR of any model to experience this comfort level. A test drive of a Freelander and a few hours in a tatty Disco V8 on an off road course probably don’t qualify.
Left over crest; tightens.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It's not just the luxury of an RR - it's the way you sit in the captain's chair, looking out over the castellated bonnet. Very hard to explain but there's just no other car like them.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

JonMad wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:06 pmI’ve never even sat in a RR of any model to experience this comfort level.
Same :(
Last edited by 240PP on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’ve driven a few L322s around town when they were new - they are a lovely place to be. The dash design is spot on with the vertical trunk of wood slicing through it behind the vents (and BMW style dial layout!) and as JL said, the view over the bonnet corners is just right.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Lovely cars to drive and be in, but having been around them for the last 15 years, would I buy one? Absolutely, if it was a 3rd car and I had 2 reliable cars to fall back on .
Foz

Post by Foz »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 pm It's not just the luxury of an RR - it's the way you sit in the captain's chair, looking out over the castellated bonnet. Very hard to explain but there's just no other car like them.
that, drive one and you get it, my wife thinks the Ml has been unreliable mind, - its never let us down, a few ABS faults and a dead battery aside from routine maintenance, she would be in for a shock :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Now this might be worthy of a new thread - but women simply don't expect cars to ever go wrong and only just about seem to have made their peace with them requiring servicing. Is it because their shoes and handbags don't need running repairs?