Bucket list items.

drcarlos

Bucket list items.

Post by drcarlos »

A friend was taken last weekend (only 62 by the big C) and its made me think of things ive ticked off the list in the past few years.
TVR v8 ownership was one, taking the kids on a Florida tour was 2, but the big one was number 3.
Some of you know that I've been a part time dj for some years now, kind of dropped into it because I was skating and they lost their dj and I volunteered.
Well we've made a monthly roller disco at guildford spectrum pretty big but I always had a hankering to do an eyeball paul and play a big festival. A couple of years ago I visited our local one which has grown from a few hundred to about 4000 attendees on Saturday, well they had a dj set (to fill in around live bands), which was a literal Playlist with no flow or mixing, thinking I could do a load better I decided to offer my services and they agreed, giving me 2 slots (an early warmup and a headline evening slot). I played 90s club classics and a few old hard-core rave tracks and the crowd went nuts and with security deployed (I was the only act that needed it) to keep things under control. It was pretty scary (well during sound check it dawned on me how terrifying being up on stage would be and my leg shook almost uncontrollably) and I need a couple of whiskeys before I went on. Thing is I got asked back and I'm up again at the end of the month, this time hopefully I'll enjoy as much as the crowd.
I'm glad I did volunteer and with two sets under my belt I think I will see if I can go bigger next year, don't think I can make it pay the bills but it's a hell of a rush (much like the top end of 3rd gear in the TVR) and I'm glad I did it.
Anyone else ticked anything off recently?
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Re: Bucket list items.

Post by Gavster »

That's absolutely awesome! It's a huge credit that the crowd went wild; that's something you can't buy. When you're performing at a live show, it's the ultimate barometer: did the crowd enjoy it? You got that one covered :lol: 8-) If you're building a reputation then you'll start getting more invites to other events too, I find that with my social media work, it's all about visibility and reputation. If you do good stuff consistently, then more opportunities appear out of nowhere.

As for bucket list activities, I was reflecting on this the other day. I've packed a lot of crazy experiences into my 46 years so far. Several of my 'bucket list' activities are material, e.g. travel stuff which more money would facilitate, hence why I focus on work to enable them.

I'm more interested in the things money can't buy. For example, I filmed a section for a TV show last month, which was definitely a big achievement (Should be on Channel 5 next month about best before dates). I'd love to write a book too, something I've dipped my toes into a few times but never got all the way through to writing an entire manuscript. I was in talks with a publisher (Penguin Random House, natch) and a couple of agents at the end of last year; however, we didn't agree on a book proposal. That's very much a 'for the love of it' bucket list activity too. Even with a publisher and agent, there's no guarantee of earning more than minimum wage from the whole thing.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I'm 50 next month and going to Pompeii. Wanted to see it for ever
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:32 pm I'm 50 next month and going to Pompeii. Wanted to see it for ever
We've just been there (and Herculaneum)

It was a bucket list item for us too

Hope you have a great time there :)
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I was going to run an Ultra in August and training was going well untill 2 weeks ago when I totally bolloxed my hip. Dr in 10 days, good old NHS waiting times, so will defer my place.

On the plus side, I will be very youngest in the 50+ category next summer.

I have, despite wanting once since I was 2, never even sat in a Porsche which is pretty poor show. One day though....

P.S Yes, the death this year of a friend, from big C, at 47 makes things look very different, especially as his lad was the same age as mine.

Fantastic job with your DJ job though, maybe tim eto change DR to DJ in your avatar?
mik

Post by mik »

drcarlos wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:28 pm Anyone else ticked anything off recently?
Nope. But congrats on yours 8-)
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

I went on a once in a lifetime holiday.

I'm not doing that again.
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

Gavin wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:20 am
I have, despite wanting once since I was 2, never even sat in a Porsche which is pretty poor show. One day though....
There’s a forum member who would happily let you sit and a Porsche and Ferrari if you can get to Berkshire :D
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

DaveE wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:29 am
Zonda_ wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:32 pm I'm 50 next month and going to Pompeii. Wanted to see it for ever

Ooh, any tips?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Gavster wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:04 am There’s a forum member who would happily let you sit and a Porsche and Ferrari if you can get to Berkshire :D
Ooh, is it one of those driving experience days ?

No, I just needed to move them out the way so I could get the Aston out of the garage 🤣
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:07 am

Ooh, any tips?
You have DM...
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

DaveE wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:03 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:07 am

Ooh, any tips?
You have DM...
Can you share this way too? I’m going to Italy for a month from 3rd June living just south of Naples so hoping to pop there too!
mik

Post by mik »

I drove to Pompei (about 12 years ago). Was fine. Driving in Naples was feckin horrendous though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Was made redundant for the first time ever recently.

Don’t know if it counts but I’m not planning on repeating the experience.
An absolute unit
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

We had just over a week in all - we flew into Napoli, and then got the train to Sorrento where we stayed for a few days

We then got a bus from Sorrento to Amalfi, had a few more days there (went to Capri and Ravello for some day trips from there)

Rather than getting the bus back to Sorrento, and from there the train back to Napoli, we decided to take a boat from Amalfi to Salerno, and an express train from there back to Napoli

We then had a couple of days in Napoli

For Pompeii and Herculanium

There's a (very noisy!) train that runs from Napoli/Sorrento - it's cheap, easy to use, and runs frequently/on time

I recorded 90db on the train though! So if you have hearing problems/sensitive ears, I would recommend some earplugs

We did Herculanium first - it's very small by comparison, but also very interesting - and was a good intro for us

Pompeii is obvs much bigger :)

I would suggest getting there early doors - we arrived about 15 mins before it opened and there was already a decent queue - it gets more busy (and hotter!) throughout the day, so make the most of the cooler hours - sunscreen, hats, long sleeves, and maybe even an umbrella - there's not a lot of shade

I think there are two cafes inside - Pompeii itself wasn't mad-busy when we were there (April), and I was pleasantly surprised see the main cafe had a seemingly never ending supply of sandwiches, drinks, and other food - however, when you go it may be higher season so it may be worth ensuring you bring/buy food from the cafe before lunch - just in case

Obvs Pompeii is a city, so loads of walking (we did 8 miles, and saw lots, but also lots we didn't see)

We hired a guide (you can get them just inside, they'll probably approach you) - think it was €150 for two hours, but you could divide that if you could group together with other people (which is what we did) - it was good mainly because he pointed out small details that we'd never have noticed (like the little grooves along the front of the buildings where sliding doors would have run)

Highlights were obviously the amphitheatre, and the theatres themselves, plus all the other usual suspects

I would suggest making the effort to go and see the main burial site outside the Herculaneum Gate, and also the Villa dei Misteri

Finally, the whole place is cobbled and lots of steps up and down onto the "sidewalks" so mind your step, wear some decent footwear, and if you have knee/ankle problems, just be aware they may take some abuse

Just remember, Italy doesn't really do health and safety, so you're kind of on your own

Finally, there aren't many toilets - so take the opportunity when it presents itself :)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve done loads of individually cool stuff but some list items left are.

Run to the sun in the 500e or a V12 Aston.
Take the wife to Monaco in the 500e, fancy dinner and a floppy hat type of meal.
Go back to the Kruger but with the family and stay at a lodge in the wild.
Posh banquet with the wife in Venice.
Take my sons for a beer.

Dave!
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

V8Granite wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:11 pm Take my sons for a beer.
Don’t you mean your sons take YOU for a beer ??
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I don’t really have anything exciting. I’d like to get all of the cars I currently own back on the road at some point before I die, that’s about it 😂
Cheers, Harry
Jay-me

Post by Jay-me »

I’ve always wanted a Caterham since about 6 years old. I’m 45 and quite rotund but will still get one. Not an expensive purchase but something I should have got years ago but literally life got in the way
Gavster

Post by Gavster »

V8Granite wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:11 pm
Take my sons for a beer.
If I put myself into my dad’s shoes, I can safely say that having a beer with us is probably his no.1 “money can’t buy” experience.