Bye Bye Sunak..

duncs500

Re: Bye Bye Sunak..

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:51 pm I wouldn’t be so sure tbh.

Like I said, it’s this kind of stuff that’s driving core Labour voters away.

Very short sighted imo.
My guess is that amount of core Labour voters that are going to turn up and put a cross in any other box than Labour over this (or anything else) is miniscule.

They'll all vote Labour as getting the Tories out is the priority.

These sorts of things are just things to moan about, people like having things to moan about. :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:51 pm I wouldn’t be so sure tbh.

Like I said, it’s this kind of stuff that’s driving core Labour voters away.

Very short sighted imo.
who are they going to go to? Independents? Greens? LD? Neither really changes the overall results dramatically, they're not going to go to the Tories are they.

We had a left opposition, and they got soundly thrashed by Boris Johnson FFS. People want centre government with only a hint of left/right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Some of it will be my far left echo chamber :lol: but I would say there are more people saying they’re going to be voting elsewhere or not voting at all than folk pushing for a labour win.

Starmer’s labour have let too many people down with their rhetoric. They’ll just have to be sure that they’ve attracted more centre fence sitters than lefties they’ve pushed away.
An absolute unit
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:04 pm We had a left opposition, and they got soundly thrashed by Boris Johnson FFS. People want centre government with only a hint of left/right.
That comes back to my other point from the other day, are people really happy to vote for a change of tie colour every 5 years and business as usual?

It’s not been working that well for us recently.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’m not voting because I have some ridiculous notion that if turnout is historically low all the parties might have a think about why that might be and make some changes.

I know they won’t, but none of them deserve the effort to get out and cross the box.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:09 pm
Rich B wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:04 pm We had a left opposition, and they got soundly thrashed by Boris Johnson FFS. People want centre government with only a hint of left/right.
That comes back to my other point from the other day, are people really happy to vote for a change of tie colour every 5 years and business as usual?

It’s not been working that well for us recently.
You'd hope it was more than just a tie change, but I suspect it's not an awful lot more.

I just want someone honest in the position who isn't openly putting themselves/their party ahead of what's best for the country. I fully accept I won't agree with every decision made, but I'd like those decisions to be made for the country.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Listen to what they’re saying, what are you expecting Labour to fix?

Starmer and Sunak agree more than they don’t.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:23 pm Listen to what they’re saying, what are you expecting Labour to fix?

Starmer and Sunak agree more than they don’t.
You clearly aren't reading any of my posts.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I am, you vaguely want an honest politician in charge. What does that mean in reality though.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:14 pm I’m not voting because I have some ridiculous notion that if turnout is historically low all the parties might have a think about why that might be and make some changes.

I know they won’t, but none of them deserve the effort to get out and cross the box.
That's is a ridiculous notion :lol:, but your last sentence still stands. :)
mik

Post by mik »

duncs500 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:34 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:14 pm I’m not voting because I have some ridiculous notion that if turnout is historically low all the parties might have a think about why that might be and make some changes.

That's is a ridiculous notion :lol:, but your last sentence still stands. :)
This is my fundamental problem too. I see the majority of politicians as primarily self-serving, doing their best to attain promotion in their political career, and I therefore struggle to trust them.

And I can't bring myself to vote tactically : I can't and therefore won't give Party X my vote just because they are the only one with any realistic chance of defeating Party Y, if I see that as effectively voting to get dogshit on my shoe, versus getting dogshit on both of my shoes. :(
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I certainly don't agree with tactical voting, just vote for what you believe in IMO. If you don't want to vote because you don't like any option, I think that's fine too.

I have to believe that any individual isn't a complete shyster until they prove they are though, so to consider all politicians untrustworthy scumbags whilst certainly seeming likely, doesn't fit with me... foolish as that may be. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

The hardest bit is separating the facts from emotion, hyperbole and media misinformation. I don't think people spend enough time doing that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think saying that you want/expect your politicians to be honest is such a truism that it’s redundant.

I can’t imagine that anyone wants mps who lie to them.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:12 pm I think saying that you want/expect your politicians to be honest is such a truism that it’s redundant.

I can’t imagine that anyone wants mps who lie to them.
Of course everyone wants it, but nobody expects it. Nor do I, but I still can't bring myself to think not one of them is acting in our interest as opposed to their own... some must be.

Let's hope KS is one of the good guys given he's our next PM.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think you’re going to be disappointed tbh.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:12 pm I can’t imagine that anyone wants mps who lie to them.
unfortunately there are plenty who will simply say "better the devil you know" and vote for exactly that.
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:12 pm I can’t imagine that anyone wants mps who lie to them.
Hahaha.

Hahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Plenty of people actively want Boris to come back, not just as an MP but as PM. So yes, it seems a large number do want an MP and Prime Minister who lies to them.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:18 am
Plenty of people actively want Boris to come back, not just as an MP but as PM. So yes, it seems a large number do want an MP and Prime Minister who lies to them.
Which demonstrates that democracy has failed. Asking the general public to make decisions is a terrible idea.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s a failure of education rather than democracy.
How about not having a sig at all?