For the FTAO of Sim racing folk

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: For the FTAO of Sim racing folk

Post by Matty »

MikeHunt wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:36 pm Saying that, I havent once played it on the tv with a controller.
That's part of the problem - playing on the TV feels like going back in time and is just never the same, but the hassle of setting everything up with the wheel and headset can also be offputting, as I feel like by the time I've set it all up I need to be getting on with other stuff.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Even more bizarre/lazy when you consider the fact that I am old enough to have happily waited 5 minutes for my zx spectrum to load fantasy world dizzy.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Matty wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:51 pm
MikeHunt wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:36 pm Saying that, I havent once played it on the tv with a controller.
That's part of the problem - playing on the TV feels like going back in time and is just never the same, but the hassle of setting everything up with the wheel and headset can also be offputting, as I feel like by the time I've set it all up I need to be getting on with other stuff.
Yeah i had this issue whn i was using the wheel stand. The solution in my case was to buy a permanently constructed and non foldable GT Omega ART cockpit. This does take a bit of commitment and understanding from the misses though :lol:

It does however get well used. I use it at least two nights a week and the boys use it at other times as well.

ETA - I got it for an absolute steal off off marketplace. Woman had bought it for her son and he'd never used it so she wanted the space back. £150
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

MikeHunt wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:36 pm Even a lightly modified Nissan 200 without traction control can be a handful, probably realistic reflection of my real world driving skills. :lol:
This week I have mostly been swearing at a pretend KTM Crossbow at pretend Imola on AC. It's well known as a crap car but a nicked setup has helped. Now I just need to download some more talent from somewhere.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

KTM feels shit on all sims. To the point it makes me wonder if it’s a shit car IRL :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:29 am KTM feels shit on all sims. To the point it makes me wonder if it’s a shit car IRL :lol:
I refuse to buy one for this reason.

The fact I don't have space, money, the inclination or the money is irrelevant.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

I see Rory (full time youtube sim racing "creator") is attempting a 200 lap race of the combined Nurburgring GP & Nordschleife track on GT7.

So that's around 30hrs non-stop. :? (without any driver changes etc obvs)

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Erm why?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:04 pmErm why?
Fur teh watches and teh likes presumably. As a full-time youtube kontent kreator.....
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:04 pmErm why?
I just took a look before a meeting - he's on lap 161 of 200.

I watched for about 90 seconds, and in that space of time one viewer donated £99. :o I expect that's quite extraordinary, but I suspect he'll do pretty well out of this from donations alone....

Edit: just popped on again and in the space of approx 3mins he had the one donation of £2 and another of £5, but there was a comment that the prior donation was $395 (US) :shock:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Just seen this, and skipped to the end - he made well into 5 figures, by the looks of it. He was on about £8k running upto the end then had a massive glut of people donating $100-$200 and loads of £10-£50 as well.

I thought it was for charity, which was fair enough....but then he just said "thanks for supporting me and my family" when talking about all the donations. I mean, I enjoy the content, but I don't get why you'd give a random internet person £50 for sitting on a chair for 24 hours playing games, but maybe I'm a miserable, tight fisted bastard.
mik

Post by mik »

Matty wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:57 pm Just seen this, and skipped to the end - he made well into 5 figures, by the looks of it. He was on about £8k running upto the end then had a massive glut of people donating $100-$200 and loads of £10-£50 as well.

I thought it was for charity, which was fair enough....but then he just said "thanks for supporting me and my family" when talking about all the donations. I mean, I enjoy the content, but I don't get why you'd give a random internet person £50 for sitting on a chair for 24 hours playing games, but maybe I'm a miserable, tight fisted bastard.
He gave up his job to chase fame & fortune as a 'choob kontent kreator. Folks pay to be channel members (a la patreon) and people drop donations every day (rarely to that level though). I subscribe to his channel & drop in occasionally, but have never felt the urge to "dono" either - I think it's what the kids these days do :?:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Your Irregular Reminder that BeamNG still exists and is still somewhere between a deadly serious physics sim, and a goofy bit of fun and is absolutely worth the £20 asked of it.

There have been many updates since, from 0.32:

The kinda goofy part:

The deadly serious physics sim part - because of course you want physically simulated pneumatics in your silly sandbox.

The "here, have a laugh with this" part:

They did a teaser for this with the big drift BX on twitter, but it actually teased that properly perspective correct real time wing mirror self reflections were being rolled out to other vehicles, previewed on lorries in 0.31:

It also now has speed cameras and insurance in 'career' mode :lol: including premium hikes if you crash too much.

It's a proper mix of deadly serious, and seriously silly, and if you like sims you owe yourself a slap on the wrist if you haven't looked at it.

The only things it really lacks are weather, and hardcore aero sims - but rumours abound those are coming and when they do if it's like anything else they've done, it'll make Assetto Corsa look like fucking Mario Kart.

There's even a (fairly) rudimentary VR mode....in a game with pretty solid soft body physics modelling...enjoy rolling off a cliff with that one.

Post ends.