Vehicle Lifespan Caps

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Vehicle Lifespan Caps

Post by Gavster »

A new study has found that capping the maximum age of vehicles and forcing people to buy new ones has around a 0.1% decrease in cumulative GHG emissions while having a 2-7% increase in primary material demands. Because obviously the emissions associated with creating a new car are massive.

This is wild though, because it's an American study and the high fuel efficiency improvement scenario is

"based on high fuel consumption improvements previously developed by Milovanoff et al, which improves ICEV-G (gasoline) car fuel efficiency from about 8.04 l/100 km in 2020 to 6.88 l/100 km in 2050"

To save you doing that maths, that's from 29mpg in 2020 to 34mpg in 2050, which is ludicrous. I wonder what this study would show based on smaller European cars? I can only assume that a small and efficient car (such as my Smart) is far more climate-friendly being driven until it goes full Noddy clown car and the doors fall off.

https://www.anthropocenemagazine.org/20 ... -so-simple
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... isad397es5
ZedLeg

Re: Vehicle Lifespan Caps

Post by ZedLeg »

You're never going to convince all the millions of people buying big trucks that they could buy smaller tbh.

Hell, I have a base spec Hemi Ram config saved just to stare at. I would definitely have one if I lived there :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Especially with the way the emissions and economy tests are done, this is not a surprise even with modern European small cars.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hilariously, just from skimming through that it seemed like they found lifespan caps for BEVs effective because of their battery degradation but no real gain on ICE as they maintain the same efficiency.
How about not having a sig at all?