Test drive report

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Test drive report

Post by Jobbo »

Thanks Mik. I do want all teh carz though, so it's not going to stop me looking at 911s. I think a 992 would be a really nice further addition in a couple of years' time, probably prompted by them going hybrid or similar.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Hybrid 992.2 is out this year.. I think September? 992.1 actually already has space for hybrid gubbins as it was designed in..
Cheers,

Ian
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Nice.

I can understand where you're coming from with all your logic with the Emira, but I don't see why the special-ness of it would wane? I don't think it would for me. I've seen quite a few now, and consistently gives me a feeling I've seen something a bit special (something for Porsches only a GT-series gives me).

Would the refinement not just mean you're hungry to use it more often? Which is probably not so bad.

Why didn't you use the box as much? Ratios?

I'll have to take your word for the Boxster analogy as you've driven both and I've driven neither. :D
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:05 pm 8-) Nice.

I can understand where you're coming from with all your logic with the Emira, but I don't see why the special-ness of it would wane? I don't think it would for me. I've seen quite a few now, and consistently gives me a feeling I've seen something a bit special (something for Porsches only a GT-series gives me).

Would the refinement not just mean you're hungry to use it more often? Which is probably not so bad.

I'll have to take your word for the Boxster analogy as you've driven both and I've driven neither. :D
My thoughts about driving the boxster were it was just a bit boring. Too quiet. Also the brakes were shit. I suspect that was just that particular car however.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:05 pm 8-) Nice.

All valid questions Duncs. The specialness of the Emira's looks probably wouldn't wear off in a hurry. But it's such a usable car I'd either want to use it all the time (in which case, the auto is more appealing) or I'd feel like I did about my Boxster; that it's not right to keep such a usable car for high days only. And the gearchange wasn't bad but the ratios aren't stacked close so it was more a case of choosing a gear and leaving it in that gear (usually 4th). Funny how driving a Transit around made me think about the Emira's gearbox.

Anyway, light, simple, small, just fast enough and ideal for thrashing, with a brilliant soft top. Mazda can spend hundreds of millions finessing the MX5 because it's sold in such numbers. I went with my heart and head.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:54 am Order placed 8-) Aero Grey Homura, will be one of the first ND3s to be delivered I think.
Good choice! Makes perfect sense based on what you've said.

When do you think you'll get it?
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Ascender wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:00 pm When do you think you'll get it?
Probably end of June/beginning of July. I've got quite a bit on during the next month so delivery timescale is as much dependent on my diary :lol:
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Nice one getting to a decision and a purchase. 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:20 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:00 pm When do you think you'll get it?
Probably end of June/beginning of July. I've got quite a bit on during the next month so delivery timescale is as much dependent on my diary :lol:
Ooh, that's quick. Plenty of fun to be had with that this summer then. 8-)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

duncs500 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:58 pm Ooh, that's quick. Plenty of fun to be had with that this summer then. 8-)
I'm hopeful - if summer wasn't just last Saturday and Sunday :lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Congrats on putting your money where your mouth is! Although you have spoiled a future "guess the car" thread...

Re: boxsters and 'special' I think it's such an individual thing. Mine felt special every time I accellerated hard out of a corner (and I still miss that) but I appreciate for a few it lacks enough grunt, or a sense of occasion, or whatever it is that does it for you. Each unto their own...
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Nice 8-) I watched the Throttle House review of the new MX5 only a few weeks back, they were positive about it.

I actually forgot to bounce this to ask if you'd considered a GR86 (although it's a bit late now!)....similar to the MX5.

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I did consider a GR86 - Jon offered me his allocation from the second batch - but I just didn’t want one as much. Not open-topped, it’s a bit of a one-trick pony to me: lovely to drive but that’s it. I’d rather have a GR Yaris I think.

Just adding - the spec of that one in the video is pretty much what I'm getting; it has a different name in the US and the Recaros are part of an option pack rather than being on a stand-alone model but the end result is the same including the colour. Hey, it's primer grey; if I get bored I can wrap it and the base colour should suit most things :lol: Supposedly but it looks non-metallic to me, but with the anthracite alloys, black mirrors and hood, and the grey piping and stitching on the inside it works quite well. Love the wrap on the blue one though.