Your fleet running reports

Beany

Re: Your fleet running reports

Post by Beany »

Next step, once the E46 is finally moved on, is to find local quiet roads to test things out on. Ones that aren't 50mph average speed camera areas like most of the stuff around here.

Even if that means going 40 miles east.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:42 pm
IanF wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:26 pm
Beany wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm I have discovered that if you put the M135i in to 'TRACTION' mode (a single press of the TC button) it pops and crackles like an absolute motherfucker on the overrun - about as much, if not more than in sport+, but without the firm gearchanges, heavy steering etc.

I am absolutely not being a child with this as I pootle around town.

Absolutely not.
I just took an inordinate amount of pleasure from your post old Bean, as I think you’re actually now, most definitely, out of the funk your old company put you in! 👍👍
Beany 2.0

We rejoice in Beany 2.0 8-)
BMW's M cars (even M lites) are after all the biggest sign of capitalist oppluence and bourgoise. :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Audi's tyres looked a bit worn so I measured the tread depths - evenly worn and still over 2mm left except on the shoulders where tread is still visible. 26,600 miles on them; I have got my money's worth. Yet they still didn't cause me any issues driving to work on a sopping wet M5 today. I will be replacing them with a set of Conti Sport Contact 6s in OE Audi spec because they've been great.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Carlos wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:56 pm My i3 is really sensitive to millisecond surge or power cuts and has occasionally stopped charging even though it's not affected anything else in the house other than the Virgin TV!

Even the lights don't flicker but I know something has occured as the TV box has rebooted.
Interesting. It charged without issue overnight, so maybe that could have been it. We'll see what happens.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

A lot of dips in frequency in the last 6 months around my way too.

The national grid is ready for the electric revolution remember.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

drcarlos wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:13 am
BMW's M cars (even M lites) are after all the biggest sign of capitalist oppluence and bourgoise. :lol:
Buying them new maybe ;)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Beany wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:10 pm I have discovered that if you put the M135i in to 'TRACTION' mode (a single press of the TC button) it pops and crackles like an absolute motherfucker on the overrun - about as much, if not more than in sport+, but without the firm gearchanges, heavy steering etc.

I am absolutely not being a child with this as I pootle around town.

Absolutely not.
I was going to mention earlier when you mentioned finding a test area that for most 135/140i owners that seemed to be any traffic light or junction with a crowd of more than 5 people waiting, but seems like you’re already settling in well to 34/40 life. :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

I do like to squirt away from lights promptly where possible, and thanks to bags of torque below 3k rpm you can do that without being a twat about it :D
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:23 am I will be replacing them with a set of Conti Sport Contact 6s in OE Audi spec because they've been great.
I was going to highlight that the 7 is out now, but it doesn't appear to be available in S6 size yet click
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:46 am
Jobbo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:23 am I will be replacing them with a set of Conti Sport Contact 6s in OE Audi spec because they've been great.
I was going to highlight that the 7 is out now, but it doesn't appear to be available in S6 size yet click
How bizarre - 255/35R20 and 255/45R20 but not the 40 profile.

Anyway, I have been very happy with the 6s on the car so want to get exactly the same for now. I do have some barely worn Goodyear F1s on the alloys from my old Allroad to stick on just to see what it's like on different tyres, but I really just want to wear those out to put winters on them.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

I have just fitted non run flat Sport Contact 7s to my 5 series, havent done enough miles to see a difference yet but Im hoping it will be at least a minor upgrade.

There seems to be a shortage of tyres right now, as I found it difficult to find a set of rears fror my car (275/30/20) and Im finding it really difficult to find tyres for the EQV (245/55/17) as anything other that budget brands are on backorder.
mik

Post by mik »

MikeHunt wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:11 am Im finding it really difficult to find tyres for the EQV (245/55/17) as anything other that budget brands are on backorder.
Camskill are offering both Conti & Bridgestone under "OE Merc".
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s4852p0 ... E_Mercedes

Also oem-for-BMW Michelins
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s5053p0 ... R17_OE_BMW

also : do feel free to respond to questions in your sim racing thread
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Broccers wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:00 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:56 pm
scotta wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 pm There's your instagram - absolutely fuck all on there on about said porsche and angle grinder. Although im 100% certain that it happened...Not. Its amazing how a simple request to post a picture triggered you on this...Almost as if it didnt happen...
<broccer voice> DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH </broccer voice>

He just takes photos of peoples cars outside the pub, ‘cos they’re his best mate by the time he stumbles out the door 🤣🤣
Embarrassing.

This weather really isn't conducive to getting anything done on the car :(
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

GG. wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:05 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 pm It's an SDV8. Not sure if they came in different levels of tune.
All 334 bhp by the looks of it
There was a boost to the torque & an updated torque converter in 2015. The various car spec websites seem very hit & miss which figure they quote but there’s a few articles that describe it:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/range-rov ... 15-tweaks/

I only got 32.9 mpg on the way to work yesterday (38mpg last week). The only thing consciously different was that I used the adaptive cruise most of the time and I’m not sure I like it

If you’re staying in a single lane of steady it’s OK but changing lanes frequently catches it out - eg moving out to the next lane after a car passes you, even if that car is going faster and pulling away from you if it’s “in range” the adaptive cruise will cut the power to create the gap it wants then floor it to get back up to the speed you were at to begin with. Same if a car passes you and pulls back in

There are three distance levels to choose from but the actual distance seems to be speed-dependent which is fair enough I guess, but sometimes if you’re catching up with a truck it eases off the power really early and because it’s all very smooth & quiet if you’re not watching the speedo constantly it’ll scrub 5-10mph without you noticing. Then you need to accelerate back up. Then other times it’ll get surprisingly close to the car in front before slamming on the brakes.

All of this is likely bad for fuel consumption.

Driving home I didn’t use it at all and got 36.9mpg (35.5 last week). It briefly hit a peak of 39mpg when I came off the motorway about 70 miles into the journey but the last few miles to home kill it.

And incidentally - top gear seems to be about 50mph per 1000rpm. That’s the highest geared car I’ve had.

IMG_1124.jpeg
IMG_1124.jpeg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:58 am
There are three distance levels to choose from:
- Underwear
- Pulp
- Different class
scotta

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:58 am
GG. wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:05 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 pm It's an SDV8. Not sure if they came in different levels of tune.
All 334 bhp by the looks of it
There was a boost to the torque & an updated torque converter in 2015. The various car spec websites seem very hit & miss which figure they quote but there’s a few articles that describe it:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/range-rov ... 15-tweaks/

I only got 32.9 mpg on the way to work yesterday (38mpg last week). The only thing consciously different was that I used the adaptive cruise most of the time and I’m not sure I like it

If you’re staying in a single lane of steady it’s OK but changing lanes frequently catches it out - eg moving out to the next lane after a car passes you, even if that car is going faster and pulling away from you if it’s “in range” the adaptive cruise will cut the power to create the gap it wants then floor it to get back up to the speed you were at to begin with. Same if a car passes you and pulls back in

There are three distance levels to choose from but the actual distance seems to be speed-dependent which is fair enough I guess, but sometimes if you’re catching up with a truck it eases off the power really early and because it’s all very smooth & quiet if you’re not watching the speedo constantly it’ll scrub 5-10mph without you noticing. Then you need to accelerate back up. Then other times it’ll get surprisingly close to the car in front before slamming on the brakes.

All of this is likely bad for fuel consumption.

Driving home I didn’t use it at all and got 36.9mpg (35.5 last week). It briefly hit a peak of 39mpg when I came off the motorway about 70 miles into the journey but the last few miles to home kill it.

And incidentally - top gear seems to be about 50mph per 1000rpm. That’s the highest geared car I’ve had.

IMG_1124.jpeg
Adaptive cruise seems to be hit or miss. VW seem to have nailed it. I had it on the Golf R and Dad's Tiguan has it. Its clever enough to realise if a car has pulled in and is accelerating away it wont brake. My mates Mazda Cx-3 has it and does the same as you were describing.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Land Rover, Peugeot 406 replica

Post by Sundayjumper »

Hmm. It works well enough in steady traffic especially roadworks but more open motorway I think I’d prefer “dumb” cruise tbh. It actually encourages you to hog the middle or outside lane so that you avoid the trucks.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I hate normal cruise control, unless you're happy going slower than everyone else and being a moving chicane it seems to take more concentration than just using the pedals. Constantly adjusting when you catch people up.

The adaptive on my GTI was excellent though.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yup, cruise by itself is pretty useless unless on an empty road. Proper adaptive is where it's at. Mine seems to work pretty well too, I can't complain. And it'll close gaps and gather speed depending on what driving mode you're in too, so if you're set at 70 but stuck behind someone doing 50 then as soon as they move out the way it'll get up to 70 quicker if in sport plus than, say, comfort.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I use the speed limiter rather than adaptive cruise, seems to be better on fuel that way and less slowing down/speeding up.